Credit card fraud! Perfect *!^"%* timing!

madmumof2

DIS Veteran
With 3 weeks to go, I've become a victim of credit card fraud! :mad:

I've saved so hard and loooooong for this, and I now only have $1000 on my fairfx card. It's been cancelled and they're going to look into it, and are transferring the money I have left onto another card for me so they've been great.

BUT it could take up to 45 days for them to contact the police and get paperwork etc to get the rest of the money back. :( So I doubt I'll have it back before I go.

Someone has used my card details in China somewhere on some website. I've contacted the website and told them about it so hopefully they'll refund me, but I'm not sure. I've contacted the police and they told me they can only do something if fairfx fails to. Fairfx said they can't see any reason why I won't get my money back and they've been fantastic, but it doesn't look like I'll get it back before I go.

Absolutely gutted. Anyone who reads my blog, or my posts on here even, knows how long I've been saving for this holiday, and how hard it's been, and now when it's this close, this happens. I always have my card in my pocket so it must have been cloned somewhere. :mad:

I don't really know what to do. I haven't got enough really to do what we planned to do, and only have 3 weeks to save up as much as possible.

I got my flight tickets the other day and was so excited thinking that's all the stresses over with, just the spending money to concentrate on. Now I'm in total panic mode wondering how the hell I'm going to have enough money for the 3 of us for 2 weeks.

I just want to curl up in a ball and wake up when it's all sorted. :(

sorry to hear all this

is it a normal credit card thats been cloned or your fairfx card??

My fairfx card, I don't have any credits cards so this is the only thing I have to spend in Orlando. :(

thats not good, i just logged into mine and checked what i spent over our holiday,

do you know how they would have got your details?

No idea, I always keep it in my pocket, no one has ever touched it but me. Fairfx said it's probably been cloned somehow when I've used a cash point or over the counter somewhere. :( They know I didn't spend the money as it was in China somewhere so I should get all the money back no problem, it's just the timing. I've not got enough right now, and I highly doubt I'll get it back and sorted in 3 weeks. :sad2:

:hug:hope you get this sorted, is there any family or anyone who might lend t to you until this is sorted out?

I'm so sorry to hear this has happened to you, what a nightmare! :sad1:

Fingers crossed they sort it out quickly for you :wizard:

Oh what awful timing {{{HUGS}}}

I hope they pull their finger out and get it sorted before you go away. It certainly doesn't take as long as 45 days with some other banks. Someone spent £2,500 of my money on my LloydsTSB debit card last year and they refunded me the money within 5 days!

If you can't borrow some money from family or friends, maybe getting a credit card to tide you over until they refund the money would work?

Luv Suzy

I can't, I have bad credit, which is why I've had to save and paid for everything before I go.

I'll ask my mum if she will lend me her card in case I need it and pay her back when I get my money back, but I'd rather not have to ask her. I wanted to do this all myself this time, I've always borrowed money from my mum. :(

Hopefully it doesn't take 45 days! I'm emailing the website it was spent on back and forth and they've said they've not received the money, so hopefully it's in limbo somewhere and if they cancel it it'll go back onto my card.

thats terrible :hug: fingers crossed everything gets sorted before you go

I can't, I have bad credit, which is why I've had to save and paid for everything before I go.

I'll ask my mum if she will lend me her card in case I need it and pay her back when I get my money back, but I'd rather not have to ask her. I wanted to do this all myself this time, I've always borrowed money from my mum. :(

Hopefully it doesn't take 45 days! I'm emailing the website it was spent on back and forth and they've said they've not received the money, so hopefully it's in limbo somewhere and if they cancel it it'll go back onto my card.

I am not sure how you can 'borrow' your Mum's card as signatures are needed in the US.

Claire ;)

This is awful and I really feel for you.
I hope that now that both fairfx and the website involved know about it something can get done sooner rather than later.
I will ensure I have everything crossed for you, and that we will see you on here soon with some positive news pixiedust:

How strange for it to be cloned. Have you used your card over here? When you used your card for say online transactions surely they was secure?
Hope you manage to get the money back,or someone can lend you the money prior to leaving. Fingers crossed.

Just for info (and dont tell my daughter :hippie: ) They never check your signature, in fact a lot of time they ask you to swipe the card your self in a machine , and you put your card back in your wallet before you sign on an electronic keypad :rotfl: not sure why but thats how its done

hope you get it sorted its terrible stress for you

Also be warned that using any form of card prior to a trip you need to let your bank/CC know, some companies block the card until they can confirm you had made the transaction.

I know it's always easy to realise things in hindsight but have you considered having several FairFX cards and splitting your money across them? Between DW and me we have 4 - that way we restrict our losses if anything happens to any of them. We've used various free offers (inc. Matalan and the refer a friend and get £5.00 of currency) to get them so the cards have cost nothing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter