Credit card fraud at WDW

All credit cards in the US and terminals must be chip and pin by the end of Oct. Otherwise, issuers and merchants can start being penalized by the CC networks.

That is not completely true. LIABILITY shifts to the issuing bank as of October 1 if a chipped card OR a pin-based transaction are not used (only a signature is obtained at the POS). A bank may issue a PIN in lieu of a chip-based card and cover themselves for liability for now. All must be replaced by chip-based by a later date. I forget what that is.

We haven't gotten new "chip cards" yet - folks that have? Did your number change? Just asking because, if it does, I've GOT to update our MDE info....

In my own personal case, no, all have had the same number. What we have been receiving are not true chip and pin cards. We are getting chip and signature cards that still has the magnetic strip, readable by a skimmer. Until all merchants go to the ability to use the chips, this is what we will have for awhile. Not sure when or if there is a required date for this.

Laura

The card companies very, very much want it to be reduced. The card issuers are the primary party that takes the financial hit when card fraud occurs. Card issuers have chargeback rights in very few fraud cases, and almost never in card present situations (even if the card present is a fake, and not the cardholders actual card).

I don't know where you heard this, but it is absolutely incorrect. Card issuers routinely charge back EVERYTHING that is deemed to be fraud, and the merchant must then fight to get the money restored to them. When the merchant provides the documentation required, even then the card issuer can wiggle out of accepting responsibility by stating that the transaction was fraudulent (whether the customer said that or not). I have seen cases where a customer fails to pay their bill and then declares bankruptcy, and the card issuer has issued a charge back on every transaction since the last payment and states that it is fraud, even when the customer (who we contacted) said he didn't issue any charge backs or claims of fraud. My store lost 2% of revenue due to claimed fraud last year, with hundreds of examples. I can count on one hand the number of chargebacks that were noted as fraud where we recovered anything from the card issuer.

The only financial hit to the card issuer in the event of fraud is the cost to re-issue cards. In the event of massive loss of credit card data, such as Home Depot and Target, the merchant is sometimes required to pay a fee to re-issue cards (often levied as a "fine" by Visa/Mastercard).

Your card numbers should not change Dean. We have obtained multiple new chip enabled cards with no account number changes.

Ours did, My card stayed the same and my wife's changed. I called and they stated this was to allow one card on the account to still be used if one was lost or stolen but that they were "linked" somehow...smjj

Ours did, My card stayed the same and my wife's changed. I called and they stated this was to allow one card on the account to still be used if one was lost or stolen but that they were "linked" somehow...smjj

Then your change in card number was not due to the chip upgrade, it was due to the reason you cited; two completely different issues. Every card I possess where I allow an authorized user has a different card number for that extra user; again for the reason you cited, nothing to do with the chip. This wasn't always done by credit card companies, but many are now doing so as new cards are issued as evidenced by your situation.

Then your change in card number was not due to the chip upgrade, it was due to the reason you cited; two completely different issues. Every card I possess where I allow an authorized user has a different card number for that extra user; again for the reason you cited, nothing to do with the chip. This wasn't always done by credit card companies, but many are now doing so as new cards are issued as evidenced by your situation.

I did not say it was. I was just saying I got my new chip enabled cards and one of the numbers on our two cards were different. I called and this is what they told me.....smjj

We haven't gotten new "chip cards" yet - folks that have? Did your number change? Just asking because, if it does, I've GOT to update our MDE info....

We got our chip cards and the only thing that changed was the expiration date, so we had to call or go online for every place that it on file and change it.

I was disappointed that they are not requiring both a PIN and a chip card. That would be much more secure.

While I was on my way home from Disney I rec'd a call of a suspicious charge. Someone attempted to use my card in New York State (card in hand) I was in SC at the time and had been in Orlando for a week. There is zero chance that my number was stolen at Disney, sold on the internet, a new card made and sold to another party all in a few days time. More likely it had been compromised weeks or months earlier
Actually, WDW is the most likely place your card was compromised. All they have to do is copy the info from the mag stripe on the back, and then sell that electronic info to someone who has either lost/stolen credit cards or blank credit card stock. Then they take it to a gas station and try to buy $1-$10 worth of gas to see if it works. If it does, they go shopping -- in person, and swiping the card.

It is true that skimming patterns are readily detected, but by the time it is, the culprits have moved on.

I haven't read thru this whole thread, but we have fraud alerts on our visa cards......any purchase over X amount (we chose $50), any online, any gas station and a few more items, we get a email and text.

We have several local restaurants where they bring a device to the table and you slide your card yourself so it's never out of your site.

Now THAT sounds interesting - especially with newer Chip & Signature cards. Wondering if anyone has heard anything about Restaurant protocol changes with these? I would really LIKE to hang onto my card, and insert it into a mobile unit.

We have several local restaurants where they bring a device to the table and you slide your card yourself so it's never out of your site.
We had dinner at La Hacienda de San Angel last night and our server brought a device to our table and ran our card right there. It never left our sight. It was pretty cool; first time I'd ever seen that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter