Creative Dis Diners, we need your help!

flyball

Mouseketeer
We're looking for the most economical restaurants with excellent atmosphere and good food. This year's trip is a budget trip due to my impending divorce.:sad1: But since I still have my priorities straight;) , I'm still doing everything in my power to get us back to Disney in August. We love to eat and love the atmosphere of so many of the restaurants that we've tried on our more extravagant trips, but this time we're looking for as much atmosphere as is possible in some of the less expensive eateries. Unfortunately, we didn't get in on the free dining, so we have to be really creative to stretch out our dining budget. Thanks in advance for the help!

One way I'm planning on saving money is by ordering some breakfast items and snacks from gardengrocer.com. I learned about it here on the Budget Board. It seems reasonable. They deliver your groceries for $12 and the prices aren't sky high! I plan on getting a case or two of water in order to avoid the expensive bottles in the park. Also, some fresh fruit, yogurt, bagels, cream cheese, milk, muffins, bread, peanut butter and jelly. Many people have mentioned that it's nice to be able to get ready to go to the parks while eating breakfast in the room. It gives you more time to enjoy the parks in the cooler mornings!
On previous trips we brought breakfast items and it worked out very well. I'm hoping this time it does again. (we didn't know about gardengrocer, but we had a grocery stop on the way to our hotel)
One place that was good and fairly inexpensive the last time we went (2003) was Trail's End Restaurant at Fort Wilderness Campground. We are planning to go back this time. It's fun to take the boat over, too! Our kids ages were 3-13 last time we went and the little ones got to color their menus. Then the waiter hung them on the wall! He was wonderful! He interacted with the kids and really helped us enjoy our meal there. We liked it so much, we went back the next day and the menus were still hanging on the wall!
We are leaving in just 6 days! If I discover a new place, I'll let you know when we get back.

Familyof6 :grouphug:

One way to save money is to eat lunch instead of dinner at a TS place. Its usually a little bit cheaper, and you still have the nice atmosphere.

Also, granola bars and Pop Tarts make an economical breakfast! You might want to get a fridge in your room and then you will be able to do the PB&J stuff and some pop.

Keep a good attitude about the divorce. It sounds like you're upbeat, which is great! I went through it 7 years ago, and I survived. Also, no matter how frustrated the ex makes you, remember to be friends for the kids sake! (Buy a voodoo doll and hide it under the bed to help! :banana: )

Good luck and have fun!:goodvibes

Thr Plaza in MK is a sit down meal that is on the low end side. I would definately do lunch. Without out all the appy and desserts a meal could be very afforable

I'm not sure but did you try the discount code that came out after free dining? some people (depending on what type of hotel they picked) were able to purchase the dining plan with their package for less than what the package with free dining was. I don't know if the code is still good.t I think it was like ZJZ or something. You could always call and just see what that would cost.

You could do Cosmic Rays and split the combo platter and watch the entertainment while you eat.

One way that we economize is to have a large buffet character meal instead of a dinner one, the price is much cheaper and we will be too full for lunch.

We bring breakfast bars and granola bars so we can eat in the room.

We split alot of CS places, some have huge portions like Morocco in Epcot, Cosmic Rays in MK

Thr Plaza in MK is a sit down meal that is on the low end side. I would definately do lunch. Without out all the appy and desserts a meal could be very afforable

That was what I was going to suggest too, also, the sandwiches are huge and we often split one between two people.

Although we usually eat table service twice a day, last time we canceled a few and ate counter service. I would actually love to try a vacation counter service since the meals we had were surprisingly good.

Try counter service with a better "ambiance".
Beaches and Cream
Tusker House (if it's still not a character meal)
Read the menus on allears and see which ones offer something besides the usual "fast food".

Less expensive sit downs that we enjoy
Plaza
Olivia's
any of the "lesser" restaurants in the resorts, we think they're usually better than the "signature" anyway
Grand Floridian Cafe
Kona Cafe
Yachtclub Galley
Also the restaurants at the mid priced resorts, all very good food for less

Although we usually eat table service twice a day, last time we canceled a few and ate counter service. I would actually love to try a vacation counter service since the meals we had were surprisingly good.

Try counter service with a better "ambiance".
Beaches and Cream
Tusker House (if it's still not a character meal)
Read the menus on allears and see which ones offer something besides the usual "fast food".

Less expensive sit downs that we enjoy
Plaza
Olivia's
any of the "lesser" restaurants in the resorts, we think they're usually better than the "signature" anyway
Grand Floridian Cafe
Kona Cafe
Yachtclub Galley
Also the restaurants at the mid priced resorts, all very good food for less
I agree with this! Although I consider Beaches & Cream sit down since they take your order for you from your table :)

Also consider food courts at resorts. They generally have a decent selection of food for a good price. Also check out the places at DtD too. Earl of Sandwich is great and I know many people like Wolfgang Puck's (we have one here so I don't go). ESPN Club isn't badly priced either. We also have had very good sandwiches at the Boardwalk Bakery.

I will completely agree with the idea that do all your sit downs at lunch. It really can save you quite a bit of money if you do it that way. Also don't be afraid to share items off of menus if you do dinner.

We are going our first few days at disney without dinner plan and I've got a couple of suggests we are trying.

Boulangerie Patisserie, Epcot-We heard you can make a great cheap lunch here with their cheese plate, quiche and sandwiches and the food is great.

Wolfgang Puck Express, Downtown Disney - soup, salad, Rotisserie chicken , Quesadilla, Pizza, sandwich, pasta, mac & cheese, mango ice tea. Large portions for very little out of pocket.

For dinner one night we are going to Akershus Royal Banquet Hall, Epcot. Only $29 for buffet total and you get all the princesses.princess:

I agree with previous posters. I'd eat breakfast in room with bagels, fruit, juice, buffet lunches as your main meal and really fill up on great food for a fix price and for dinner have a small counter service cause your still so full. It can be done.:thumbsup2

I'm not sure but did you try the discount code that came out after free dining? some people (depending on what type of hotel they picked) were able to purchase the dining plan with their package for less than what the package with free dining was. I don't know if the code is still good.t I think it was like ZJZ or something. You could always call and just see what that would cost.

Yes, what are your dates? Maybe there is a code.

You can also split meals if you want to go to the places you are used to.

Yes, what are your dates? Maybe there is a code.

You can also split meals if you want to go to the places you are used to.

Going from 8/22 to 8/29 (if soon-to-be ex isn't successful at stopping us):rolleyes1 These are great suggestions so far! Have Plaza, Kona, Chefs for lunch, but haven't tried Wolfgang Express yet. Does that have good atmosphere?

Reason we didn't do a package is we wanted flexibility for cancelling, but I'm interested in hearing the possibilities!

thanks!

How many adults and children in your party and the kids ages. What hotel are you wanting to stay at and what type of tickets and such. :surfweb:

How many adults and children in your party and the kids ages. What hotel are you wanting to stay at and what type of tickets and such. :surfweb:

There are 2 adults and 2 teens (14 & 16 yr old girls) in our party & we're staying at CBR. Again, we didn't purchase a package because we wanted flexibility if we needed to cancel. We're looking for budget friendly atmospheric counter service locations (e.g., Tangierine Cafe).

I can't believe how difficult it is to get ressies! We've gone in August for the last several years and I've never had trouble making ressies. Tried to get Kona for our last night and they only had 9:20 pm available! Nothing at Le Cellier for lunch or dinner on the 28th!

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest