• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Create Brand Listing for Food Allergies at Disney

crwinter

Earning My Ears
As I know many others have noted, the special diets group is no longer offering the invaluable Dietary Reference Sheet. I have spoken to them many times and have been completely unable to get anything other than vague responses about speaking with the chefs and checking the allergy binder. My son has severe dairy, peanut, and shellfish allergies - so I need to talk to manufacturers about cross contamination, unclear ingredients, etc., so knowing the brands that will be offered at the park is absolutely key.

I've been reading these boards nonstop trying to piece together what brands DW is currently using. (I am referring specifically to brands offered for people with food allergies, not the general menu items.) I'm hoping others have also been working to figure this out or have recently been there and can help fill in the gaps.

Here's what I know:
*They no longer carry Ener-G, Divvies, or French Meadow.
*Prepackaged treats offered are Surf Sweets, Rocky Mountain, Enjoy Life, and OMG.
*Bread, Hamburger, and Hot Dog Buns are Udi's.
*"Ice Cream" substitute is Toffuti and/or Rice Dream.

Here's what I think:
*Still using Bob's Red Mill and Namaste mixes.
*I believe they no longer carry Silk Soy Milk - only Kikkoman, and possibly Rice Dream or Pacific Rice.

I am trying to find out:
*Hog Dogs - Still John Morell?
*Chicken Tenders - Still AllergyFreeFoods?
*Pasta - Still Tinkyada?
*Dairy Free Cheese - Still Follow Your Heart and/or Tofutti?
*Margarine - Still Earth Balance?
*Donuts/Muffins - Still Kinnikinnick?

If anyone knows these brands, knows others, or can share any specifics on what DW is currently offering, it would be greatly appreciated.
If Special Diets won't answer our questions or offer the Dietary Rerence Sheet, then let's make our own! :cool1:

Thank You.

If Special Diets won't answer our questions or offer the Dietary Reference Sheet, then let's make our own!

Thank You.

The reason Disney does not provide a reference sheet is that all sources are subject to sudden changes and they do not want to give out incorrect information.

If we were to attempt such a reference sheet here the big problem is who would maintain it and how accurate would it be.

An example, is that prior to my working with the TPA&S Forum Moderators to create the locked sticky Everything About WDW Tickets, there was a ticket information thread that was, at the time, about 1,500 posts long. This really made it impossible to find accurate information. Ticketing changes do not happen very often so I am able to keep updates as needed.

But everything about special foods availability changes very often and there is no central place to get any information, and how would the person maintaining that thread have access to accurate, current, information?

Cheshire is correct, in that Disney does mention constant change as a reason they no longer provide the list. However, some things seem to be rather consistant, from our experience and from what others are telling us.

crwinter - your list above is accurate, as of May. And AllergyFree Foods is still the supplier of the breaded chicken products. We also found Bob's Red Mill and Namaste, plus Kinnikinnick's mixes. And we found Daiya cheese at The Wave in the Contemporary. Enjoy Life's CMO told me that Disney is expanding with their crunchy cookie line.

We're updating the list on our site, but we have to redesign the page a bit because the list can't be maintained in its current form.

I also spoke to several chefs at WDW, who are frustrated about the current choices they have to work with because they aren't all free of as many allergens as the previous products, like Udi's over Ener-G. Udi's is a concern for anyone with an egg allergy, where those people could once have a hamburger. A number of our readers have also expressed this concern. The chefs can still work with you to create a safe meal, but it takes a bit more creativity.

AllergyFreeFoods - thank you so much for the information!

Cheshire - For any parent trying to have their child eat safely at DisneyWorld, believe me, they will happily read through 1000 posts if it means they can find out the brands that might be available at Disney. If they research brands that aren't there - no harm done. But the more they are familar with before walking into Disney, the more able they are to make safe decisions. There is another thread on here that gets very into this topic, but it had veered off course a bit and I was hoping to start one that focused specifically on just listing the brands we find out. Then people can research for their own specific needs.

Anyway, I've been able to confirm several. So here's everything I know on one list. This is as of 6/20/12.

For anyone new to heading to Disney with food allergies - this is just a list of brands you might see when a restaurant is offering that product. It doesn't mean they have all of these options at every restaurant.

Chicken Tenders - AllergyFreeFoods
Pasta - Tinkyada
Pancake & Waffle Mix - Bob's Red Mill and/or Namaste
Dairy Free Cheese - Daiya
Pizza Crust - Udi's
Soy Milk - Kikkoman Pearl
Rice Milk - Pacific Natural
Almond Milk - Silk
Margarine - Earth Balance
Hamburger & Hot Dog Buns - Udi's
Donuts - Limited, but Kinnikinnick
Muffins - Udi's
Ice Cream Substitutes - Tofutti and Rice Dream
Popcorn - Rocky Mountain
Prepackaged Treats (i.e. - cookies) - Enjoy Life & OMG

Hot Dogs used throughout the park are still John Morell.

Hope this helps!

Are you sure about the Daiya cheese? When I was talking with Chef Dan at Pop/AoA the other day, he said he had Tofutti mozzerella (I think it was Tofutti, it was either that or Follow Your Heart since I told him those are the two brands of soy cheese my 11yo can safely eat and he said he had mozzerella that she could eat and he could use with rice milk to make up a cheese sauce for the make your own pasta station at AoA).

Nobody mentioned the Silk Almond milk when I spoke with them, though I guess I didn't actually ask. Good to know. Weird that they would get in Silk Almond milk but do away with the soy milk.

It's odd but it seems that different locations have different products. A chef at LeCellier told me that the soy milk he has is Silk which really shocked me.

Over in the Beach Club Marketplace you can now get Babycakes cookies, donuts and mini-cupcakes.

The chef at Fort Wilderness said he's not carrying Udi's pizza crusts any longer but now he thinks the brand he's got is called Gluten Source but he said he'd get back to me with the real name but that it's definitely not Udi's or Ener-G. I couldn't find anything called Gluten Source so I really don't know what brand it is. I'm expecting to not be able to get pizza for my kids because of their long lists of allergies and the fact that at home I've never found a premade crust that they can eat.

At Pop and AoA they have Amy's premade pizzas which means no gluten and dairy free option.

I really do think that right now they're in the middle of changing up a few things so I do expect to see these kinds of lists being living documents for a while.

The reason Disney does not provide a reference sheet is that all sources are subject to sudden changes and they do not want to give out incorrect information.

If we were to attempt such a reference sheet here the big problem is who would maintain it and how accurate would it be.

An example, is that prior to my working with the TPA&S Forum Moderators to create the locked sticky Everything About WDW Tickets, there was a ticket information thread that was, at the time, about 1,500 posts long. This really made it impossible to find accurate information. Ticketing changes do not happen very often so I am able to keep updates as needed.

But everything about special foods availability changes very often and there is no central place to get any information, and how would the person maintaining that thread have access to accurate, current, information?

These reference sheets have been available and updated for years. Since the recent (awful) vendor switch they have not updated them. I have heard that they were never coming back as well as they could come back. Last I heard they were trying to fix the bread problem and finding new vendors that could meet the demand.

The thing with those of us who live this life, is that some information is better than no information. So if I added to a thread my trip date and the items that we had that gives someone a starting point. Of course if may not be there the next day but at least we are a little more prepared.

Several meals my son didn't get bread and I saw a decrease in the speciality product available overall. There was nothing in our resort and we are used to the speciality wall.

I was just told by a chef at Magic Kingdom that as of about a week ago they're now carrying the large crunchy Enjoy Life chocolate chip cookies in single serving packages at most locations. YAY!! There are now cookies for people who can't have eggs and these are also gluten, milk and nut (peanut and tree nut) free.

YAY for the enjoy life! I got an email back I think in April telling me they were not stocking that brand anymore.
That makes exactly ONE non-babycakes bakery item on property my son can eat!

YAY for the enjoy life! I got an email back I think in April telling me they were not stocking that brand anymore.
That makes exactly ONE non-babycakes bakery item on property my son can eat!

Ditto this! We can't have Babycakes because of the chick pea flour, so this is great news. I hope they keep these in stock.

We've never run into earth balance at any restaurant at wdw. Now that my son can no longer eat the bread/rolls, it's not a huge issue, but I'd love for him to have them on his special Mickey waffles! We were just there in feb and no earth balance to be found. We're going back in 2 weeks and will continue to ask :).

We've never run into earth balance at any restaurant at wdw. Now that my son can no longer eat the bread/rolls, it's not a huge issue, but I'd love for him to have them on his special Mickey waffles! We were just there in feb and no earth balance to be found. We're going back in 2 weeks and will continue to ask :).

Was it that you needed a specific type of Earth Balanace or was it that they didn't have any at all? I know that most places don't have the soy free stuff but we've been able to get some form of Earth Balance whereever we've asked for it.

I was just told by a chef at Magic Kingdom that as of about a week ago they're now carrying the large crunchy Enjoy Life chocolate chip cookies in single serving packages at most locations. YAY!! There are now cookies for people who can't have eggs and these are also gluten, milk and nut (peanut and tree nut) free.

That is wonderful news! That also means ice cream sandwiches could be possible! YAY! Those big ones are way better than the little ones too.

About the Daiya, for the life of me I can't remember were I read it, but I did recently read a review including a Daiya-topped pizza at Disney. I noticed it because DS hates Daiya and I THINK it might be related to a possible pea allergy. No biggie though, because he prefers his pizzas cheeseless anyway, even over Follow Your Heart or Tofutti.

We've had Earth Balance offered at The Wave, but I've never really asked anywhere else. Anyone dealing with a pea allergy should know that the most common Original variety contains pea protein. It changed to pea protein well over a year ago now. The Soy Free one is also pea based, but the Soy Garden flavor and the sticks are still pea free. We always have a safe butter delivered with our groceries for breakfast purposes, so I usually carry a small tupperware of it with me if we're going somewhere I think we'll need it.

We really need to get the soy milk changed from Kikkoman. That ones is just plain dumb.

Here's some of things I know are being offered at this time in the parks and resort restaurants.

Earth Balance (regular version) - The Wave, Cape May Cafe after 11/11 vendor changes, prior to that LTT and Boma had it.
Udi's Cinnamon Raisin Bread - The Wave
Kinnickick Donuts and muffins (the muffins were chocolate chip and blueberry) - Boma
Various cookies from Enjoy Life! - Sunshine Seasons

Thanks so much for organizing this. It's a great idea since we no longer have the vendor sheets. :thumbsup2

I think it's great that they have the Earth Balance margarine but I really wish they'd get the soy free one. I feel bad complaining about the one place that I can actually have the most options to eat out but it would be such a small change and it can't be just my family that is dairy AND soy free

Cheshire - For any parent trying to have their child eat safely at DisneyWorld, believe me, they will happily read through 1000 posts if it means they can find out the brands that might be available at Disney. If they research brands that aren't there - no harm done. But the more they are familar with before walking into Disney, the more able they are to make safe decisions.

I totally agree! Aside from being GF, my daughter is super picky...partly because some GF foods just don't taste good and partly because she is just a picky eater likely due to a few years of not feeling well before her celiac diagnosis. Having an idea of the brands that might be available is a huge help and also gives me an idea of what items I should bring from home that she definitely can't get on Disney property. Some chefs also don't offer all options, but when you ask "can you make pancakes or do you have donuts?," they are often more than happy to serve them if available. It's helpful to know what other DISers with food allergies have found at different dining locations. Of course, things can always change, and that's why it's so wonderful to hear from all of you after you've been to Disney. I will definitely report back to DIS after our November trip!

Thank you a million times over for those sharing the current info about vendors and restaurants. We go in Sept for the first time and I am so stressed over what to feed my ds (who will be almost 4). This gives me something to go on at least!!

Thanks, OP for starting this thread. We are headed back to WDW over Thanksgiving, and this will be our first trip since they switched to Udi's stuff. DS has egg, peanut, and tree nut allergies. I am NOT happy about the Udi's stuff, since DS usually can't have the "regular" bread products due to nut cross contamination. I'm hoping they'll have the problem fixed by November. The new Enjoy Life cookies are a step in the right direction! I will be following this thread closely! --Katie

Did I read that correctly? Is Amy's soy cheese pizza available at Pop and AoA? Is it available anywhere else? Thanks for your help.

Did I read that correctly? Is Amy's soy cheese pizza available at Pop and AoA? Is it available anywhere else? Thanks for your help.

I didn't catch if the Amy's pizzas at Pop and AoA are the gluten free or the dairy free ones. They don't eat Amy's at home due to other allergies so I didn't think to ask which it was that they have when the chef said Amy's. sorry. Maybe Special Diets will answer specific questions about what's available right now with the disclaimer about things changing, yada yada yada. It's worth trying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter