Crazy to Drive to Vegas from WDW??

marvel

DIS Veteran
I have read a lot of negative reports regarding domestic air travel in the US. In particular with the time it takes to clear security, delayed and cancelled flights etc. As we will have quite full suitcases by the time we finish at WDW, I am considering driving to Vegas!! I know it's over 2000 miles. Is this a crazy notion? I am happy to take a few days and stops to do it.

Yes, it's a crazy notion (said the woman with a friend who used to take the train from Boston to Las Vegas - well, Arizona and switch to a bus).

I'm not saying don't do it - but you asked :)

Yes, it's nuts. ;)

Unless you really like road trips and would enjoy seeing the US by car over several days, I wouldn't recommend it.

Even if your flight gets delayed for a few hours, it's still shorter than 4 days in a car!

Dh and I fly several times a year and have never experienced any major problems. Unless you are wanting to drive to see the countryside, I would say fly. WDW and Vegas....sounds like a fun time!

Driving will surely cost much more than flying, with car rental, gas, hotels, and meals. I wouldn't do it unless it was my goal to see the sights along the way. I especially wouldn't do it in a country with driving on the opposite side of the road from what I'm used to!

I wouldn't do it either; most of the scenery will be somewhat dull, just like the deserts and canyons of Australia.

Just fly one of your international carriers (Qantas or Air New Zealand), and avoid going through customs in either Los Angeles or Miami.

I have read a lot of negative reports regarding domestic air travel in the US. In particular with the time it takes to clear security, delayed and cancelled flights etc. As we will have quite full suitcases by the time we finish at WDW, I am considering driving to Vegas!! I know it's over 2000 miles. Is this a crazy notion? I am happy to take a few days and stops to do it.

Crazy, yes. But you can still do it if you like.

If this is your first trip to the US and you want to see the countryside and you have the time, I would say do it. Those of us that are here full time **forget** how beautiful the countryside is and we are so wrapped up in being in a hurry getting here and getting there. We are leaving for our first trip to Disney in a little over a week and we chose to fly, primarily because we will have a 4 year old with us and driving 23 hours with a 4 year old in the backseat just doesn't sound appealing to me. But if it was just husband and I, we would definitely drive it.
Just my .02
Have fun in Vegas and Disney

It's a full three days of driving--without stopping to see any sights, just for food and sleep. As others have pointed out, it's a long and often very, very boring drive. I've done it several times, and it's not something I'd consider doing again anytime soon. If you had a full week to do it so you could stop and see various things along the way, maybe.

The drive across Texas is unblieveablebly long and there's NOTHING to see through most of it except derelict small towns and oil rigs. Once you cross into AZ the scenery gets pretty, but from San Antonio to Tuscon IMHO there's about 900 miles of nothing worth a three day car ride for.

Anne

You're probably going to either have to pay a drop off (one way rental) charge, find out most of the discounts are blacked out or you won't be able to get unlimited mileage. The kind of cheap rental rates most of us get in Florida won't let you drop off your car in Las Vegas and I don't think the "unlimited" mileage lets you drive the car outside of FL (and maybe the adjacent states).

In other words you're probably going to pay more if you drive. The drive vs the security line issue only is a factor if you're flying a much shorter distance. Orlando to Miami for example.

I won't drive from Missouri to Florida, and that is 1/2 the distance!

If you could plot it out to hit sites we Disers could recommend, it might be fun, but if you have kids, I would not subject yourself to such torture!

BTW when are you going? Snow would be your biggest flight delay, it can cause a domino effect, so if you will be here in January or Feb, you might experience problems if connecting flights are anywhere north, which can happen. A direct flight to Las Vegas from Florida might only be delayed if it is mid winter, there is a storm and your plane is coming from Minneapolis or something. Hurricaines are also a big problem in Florida, so June-November there is a chance of problems. We are Americans, so it might be easier, but we usually get through security in Orlando two hours ahead and have time to eat before boarding.

I do love the idea of seeing more of the US. We initially are planning to drive down from New York to WDW which I am happy to do. I suppose if the drive is that boring it would be wise to just grin and bear it and fly.

ANy of the domestic airlines preferrable over others in terms of service etc?

If I were you I would make sure to get a non-stop flight from Orlando to Vegas. I always think an early morning flight is best. Sometimes the plane is already at the gate. Security has been much faster at MCO the last couple of years of my flying into and out of MCO(about 5 trips). No matter what airline a person would recommend to you, there will be replies about bad experiences with that airline. If I were you, I would get a good fare on a non-stop flight and a time you want to leave and go with that.

I have had some not so good experiences with flights in Europe and Asia, so it's not just the USA. Weather delays can be problems during some periods of time in the USA.

Enjoy your trip.

If you fly, that is 3 extra days that you will get to enjoy in Vegas! And considering gas at around $2.80 (I haven't checked the price lately) a gallon. Have a great time! You'll love it!

thanks everyone. I think a flight is looking the better option. Has anyone used the BAGS service? I read somewhere that a company will pick up your bags and check them in for you so that you can just go to the airport without having to drag all the big cases with you.

BAGS, Inc runs the RAC program at WDW resorts. Passengers who fly on a partipating airline can check their luggage at the resort. Southwest does not currently participate.

thanks everyone. I think a flight is looking the better option. Has anyone used the BAGS service? I read somewhere that a company will pick up your bags and check them in for you so that you can just go to the airport without having to drag all the big cases with you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter