Crazy idea, will it work?

pweyl36 said:
I always thought that the nursey water was just an over price bottle of water. :goodvibes

I think it's a gimmick too. I'd use regular bottled water instead of trying to tote some on the plane with you.

My grocery store has one gallon bottles, but they also sell the small 8 oz. kids water, or a 1.5 liter of the nursery. I'd try either of the last 2 if you are packing it yourself.

Or just regular bottled water, for a few days I don't think it'd be aproblem. Just as long as it is NOT mineral water, he should be ok with any bottled water.

summerrluvv said:
The teeth are forming so that's why many dr's prescribe fluoride drops or vitamins with fluoride to babies ;)

I would just use the bottled water in the food court since it's such a short amount of time.

This completely stuns me. Our ped didn't let our kids use toothpaste with floride in it until they were five and old enough to be assured of not swallowing it. Floride isn't good for you in quantity (tap water has such small amounts of floride in it that it isn't a big deal). That someone would sell water to mix with formula is amazing. It must be such a miniscule amount of floride.

crisi said:
This completely stuns me. Our ped didn't let our kids use toothpaste with floride in it until they were five and old enough to be assured of not swallowing it. Floride isn't good for you in quantity (tap water has such small amounts of floride in it that it isn't a big deal). That someone would sell water to mix with formula is amazing. It must be such a miniscule amount of floride.

Fluoride develops stronger teeth. All of my friends pediatricians (and mine) have prescribed vitamin drops with fluoride for their babies and vitamins with flourides for the toddlers/children. Perhaps it's a regional thing because this topic came up on another board I frequent and some people had never heard of pediatricians prescribing vitamins to kids let alone ones with fluoride. The dentist even prescribes the vitamins with fluoride to the children.

Not to start a debate, but fluoride really isn't that good for you and our ped told me to use filtered water and non-fluoridated toothpaste forever, not just until age 5. Google it.

that said, NEVER pack liquids in your suitcase. The pressure changes can cause it to rupture and I, for one, would be a bit peeved to arrive at my desitination with someone else's drink all over my stuff. Airlines will sometimes pull your bag if they see liquids in it, some will just pull it out and pitch it, sending your bag on it's way, but I've heard of bags just not travelling, too.

I would just use bottled water and order it from Staples ahead of time and have it delivered to your resort. No hassles, not expensive. The resort will hold it for you until you get there.

BTW, you'd save PLENTY by not buying "nursery water" and using a Brita or PUR filter instead. ;)

I've never been one to aibde by all of the parenting guidance on what you should and shouldn't do with babies, since I believe none of it ever amounts to any real difference. However, I have to admit that I've NEVER read any guidance indicating that flouride is good for babies/toddlers and I've read MANY studies suggesting that it's horrible for them.

Like I said, I never made a point to actively avoid the flouride because in the end I don't think it really matters, but if you're trying to follow the "rule books" on parenting, then flouride is a no-no.

since it is what your baby is used to. If I we you I would order a case of florinated water and have it delivered to your room so it is there waiting for you. You and the baby can drink it. I am allergic to sulfa and my Dr. said not to drink the water in Fl as it does have some sulfa in it.....I am really allergic so he said better to be safe than sorry. This is from greengrocer.com (link to distilled water and nursery water)they will deliver to the room. Good luck!

http://www.gardengrocer.com/product.php?cid=54

I would use the nursery water since that is what your baby is used to drinking. You are already going to be in a very different environment and no need for upset tummy. I would just ship it to yourself to arrive on your arrival date.

As far as the fluoride debate goes, we have well water and that's why the pediatrician and pediatric dentist recommend fluoride supplements. If we lived in the city, they would say you get enough from the water. They also still recommend a non-fluoride toothpaste until kids won't swallow it. The amounts of fluoride in water and toothpaste are very different.

summerrluvv said:
Fluoride develops stronger teeth. All of my friends pediatricians (and mine) have prescribed vitamin drops with fluoride for their babies and vitamins with flourides for the toddlers/children. Perhaps it's a regional thing because this topic came up on another board I frequent and some people had never heard of pediatricians prescribing vitamins to kids let alone ones with fluoride. The dentist even prescribes the vitamins with fluoride to the children.

I know, but it also can cause illness in quantity. Makes sense that you'd want to suppliment if you didn't have flouridated water, though.

http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/general/teeth/fluoride.html

I am unfamiliar with the nursery water, but if bottled water would do for a few days, I do have a suggestion. We joined the Staples Rewards program and then ordered bottled water (a case) to be delivered directly to the resort. It was only a few dollars (they don't charge for shipping) and it was waiting in our room when we checked in. For less than the price of two bottles of Dasani at Disney, we had an entire case of water that lasted our trip.

graygables said:
I would just use bottled water and order it from Staples ahead of time and have it delivered to your resort. No hassles, not expensive. The resort will hold it for you until you get there.

sounds like good idea! i think i've read on here they ship it free. maybe you can find a site that carries the brand your use to. good luck.

D said:
since it is what your baby is used to. If I we you I would order a case of florinated water and have it delivered to your room so it is there waiting for you. You and the baby can drink it. I am allergic to sulfa and my Dr. said not to drink the water in Fl as it does have some sulfa in it.....I am really allergic so he said better to be safe than sorry. This is from greengrocer.com (link to distilled water and nursery water)they will deliver to the room. Good luck!

http://www.gardengrocer.com/product.php?cid=54

I just had a chance to read all of your replies. Thanks for the idea of the gardengrocer, I looked them up online and feel that their delivery fee is not as outlandish at the others I had seen so I plan on using them to get the water.

I didn't expect this thread to turn into an arguement over flouride or water usage for that matter. I think we all do things a certain way for our kids that we feel is best for our children respectively. I certainly do not expect others to do as I do if they don't want to. Our pediatrician strongly urged us to use bottled nursery water with the flouride added and that is something we have done with all of our children. I am simply not comfortable with the idea of changing what my little guy's tummy is used to even for just a few days. At the time we are going he will still be 90% dependant on his bottles for his nutrition so I'd rather keep it just like it is done at home to prevent any upset tummies.
So I guess I was just looking for advice as far as how to at the least cost keep my baby's water and get it to the resort. Thank you to those who alerted me that it probably wouldn't be a good idea to put it in the luggage (eek wet clothes, that would be very very bad!) and about the baby centers! I looked up the baby centers and am sure we will be going there for breaks for the kids.
Thanks again for the helpful advice and hopefully others will not have taken my thread as a means of telling other Moms what to give their kids or that they aren't giving their kids the right things. It was never my intention.

:sunny:

schlepsnort said:
Our pediatrician strongly urged us to use bottled nursery water with the flouride added and that is something we have done with all of our children. I am simply not comfortable with the idea of changing what my little guy's tummy is used to even for just a few days. At the time we are going he will still be 90% dependant on his bottles for his nutrition so I'd rather keep it just like it is done at home to prevent any upset tummies.

Yet another reason to breastfeed :teeth:. It's always the right temperature and always on tap, LOL!

All kidding aside, I'm glad you found a solution that will work for you.

Not all cities have fluoride in the drinking water.

I would not want to carry the weight of water in suitcases.

If nursery water contains fluoride and the amount of toothpaste normally used contains too much fluoride to be swallowed, there must exist some lesser amount of toothpaste which can be mixed outright with plain water and drunk safely as an alternative to nursery water. Hopefully some expert or dentist will chime in with a suggested amount, say squeeze out 1/16'th inch instead of 3/4'th inch from the toothpaste tube.

I am on the side of the group of people who do recommend fluoride in some shape or form.

Once a bottle of water is opened and there is no refrigerator, the water should be finished off reasonable quickly before bacteria in the air can settle and multiply inside, two days tops. For a gallon bottle, everyone will have to share it to accomplish this.

Health hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/health.htm

Don't forget to bring some kind of dishsoap to wash the bottles and nipples. I forgot the first time we were there. Last time I brought the pre-soaped wipes so I could wash out bottles and nipples with hot water and soap. I microwaved hot wated in the microwave in the food court and then brought it to the room to wash the nipples. I know you do not have to boil water anymore but I felt better with it being HOT. Have a great trip!

I know that Robin is posting "tongue in cheek, (notice the :teeth: and "All kidding aside")" so please don't anyone take offense to her comment. This thread is not going to turn into a debate on breast vs bottle feeding. :sad2:

Also, it's been 12-13 years since we had anyone using formula and I had never heard of nursery water either. You learn something new every day! :)

Oh! While we are on the subject of debates (well I WAS ;) ), no debates on flouride vs no flouride for babies, children OR adults. I think there are more appropriate forums for a discussion of that sort...

as a mother who has traveled the world with little ones, i might suggest getting a sports bottle type water filter bottle. you can than filter warm water into a bottle add your powder and tada. . .you got a perfect bottle each time. you won't have to worry about gi distress from a change in water or worse bacteria in the water! works great on planes, we used it in mexico for the whole family to have drinking water. they say you can even filter river/creek water and then drink. . .don't recommend river water for a baby though!

here's an example of a sports bottle type filter

http://frontiersurvival.com/watfilsporbo.html

MontanaMouse said:
I am unfamiliar with the nursery water, but if bottled water would do for a few days, I do have a suggestion. We joined the Staples Rewards program and then ordered bottled water (a case) to be delivered directly to the resort. It was only a few dollars (they don't charge for shipping) and it was waiting in our room when we checked in. For less than the price of two bottles of Dasani at Disney, we had an entire case of water that lasted our trip.
This was what I was going to suggest as I had seen it discussed on other threads.

We recently took a trip to WDW and stayed in the Wilderness cabins. I took a filter unit I have at home and connected it to the kitchen faucet in the cabin and we filled our water bottles with filtered water to take to the Parks each day. I don't know if that is something you can do....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter