Crazy group @ POP

rjvose17

Mouseketeer
So we just got back from a mini vacation and decided to save some DVC points and stay at pop. This was gonna be our "get outta town el cheapo" trip. We used our AP discount and got a great deal on some nights at POP. Last time in 2009 we loved POP and felt it was the best Value resort. This time was a totally different experience. We were surrounded by some huge tour groups of teenagers that were running around knocking on doors and yelling at all hours of the night. It was roughly 2 am before I heard the yelling and running stop enough to be able to sleep. It was about 7 am when they started back up again. I didnt see any chaperones even though Im gonna assume there was some. We went to the front desk and asked to be moved but by the time they got around to figuring out what was going on we decided to just use our DVC points and cancel the rest of our stay. Pop was crazy, the food court had lines just to fill the mugs at all the stations, the check in/out lines took us almost an hour both times and service was terribly slow once we got to the cast members. Our room was clean but that was about it. I guess we must've hit pop on an off time last time. It was wonderful the first time and this time was pure insanity! I don't know if we will ever try that again. Too bad too because we have some great memories there and the kids loved the different themes.

I know pop has loads of fans but every time we have been by there it just seems loud and crazy! :scared: so sorry you had a rough time there.

Problems with noisy guests can occur at any resort. My daughter stayed at YC (ground floor) for the Princess half marathon last year. Unfortunately, the night before the 5am race, the people in the room next to her sat outside and were loudly talking, drinking, etc. They even took the chairs from her patio. She politely asked them to keep it down as she had to get up at 4 - they were quiet for a while but the noise picked back up.
We go to Disney 4 or more times a year (we were there 7 times last year) and usually stay at POP (by staying at a value, we can go more often). There have been complaints about the All-Stars, POR, Caribbean Beach when groups stay there. Fortunately, we have never had a problem with large groups. So it is just luck of the draw as to whether or not you have problems.

Were you staying in the 80's or 90's? Last week someone mentioned that's where most of the tour groups were staying. I'm at the end of the 70's building, and the first night there was a group of noisy kids by the lake at 3 a.m. but I haven't heard them since.
I agree that it's luck of the draw where you end up, unless you know ahead of time.

Oh no that is not good. Sorry you and your family had such a hard time. I have never tayed at any of the values and my only worry is something like what happened to you.....

So sorry you had to deal with all of that! We have been lucky at Pop. No large issues to complain about.

"You can't pick your neighbors" is so true! :goodvibes

Were you staying in the 80's or 90's? Last week someone mentioned that's where most of the tour groups were staying. I'm at the end of the 70's building, and the first night there was a group of noisy kids by the lake at 3 a.m. but I haven't heard them since.
I agree that it's luck of the draw where you end up, unless you know ahead of time.

We were in the 90's room 8310 to be exact. I am pretty sure the rest of the entire 90's building was filled with the large group!

So sorry you had to deal with all of that! We have been lucky at Pop. No large issues to complain about.

"You can't pick your neighbors" is so true! :goodvibes

Yeah that's understandable. We didn't throw a fit and get that there are just some things that happen that's why we just decided to use our DVC points instead.

I think it breaks down like this...

At the values, you end up with large groups who are looking for a deal and the way the resorts are structured, like literally physically put together, you end up with a lot of extra noise. There's less landscaping to absorb sound, the halls and walkways are easy to run around in and act like caves that echo. The rooms themselves are so small the only place to get out and run around are outdoors.

At DVC resorts that OP is used to, the rooms are further apart, there's not long hallways or walkways with lots of rooms nearby that work to run around in. Large groups tend to avoid those resorts. If groups do gather, it seems to be in the actual rooms.

That all being said, yes you can find loud people in any resort, but there does seem to be other factors involved, at least a little bit.

I was at POP for 11 nights in January and there were Brazilian tour groups there when I was there. I was in the 50's (bldg 3) and I never saw them except at the bus stop to DTD one time. I didn't even see them in the food court. So I believe it can be the luck of the draw. I do also believe that the tour groups tend to be placed out in the 80's and 90's section. And I always ask for the 50's or 60's section.
OP, sorry you had such a bad experience. I LOVE POP! and have always had a pretty positive experience there. Such a shame, unchaperoned kids or inconsiderate tourists have to ruin others vacations... :(

I thought that groups were not permitted to stay at POP. When I used to be a travel agent I arranged a trip for a church group that wanted to stay at POP and I was told by Disney that POP was for individual bookings only and that if my group wanted the group rate they would have to stay at one of the All Star resort. I guess Disney is now booking groups at POP.

I thought that groups were not permitted to stay at POP. When I used to be a travel agent I arranged a trip for a church group that wanted to stay at POP and I was told by Disney that POP was for individual bookings only and that if my group wanted the group rate they would have to stay at one of the All Star resort. I guess Disney is now booking groups at POP.

This is what I thought too. Hopefully, this rule hasn't changed. This is one of the reasons we book POP when we stay value. No large groups of children running around.

We just returned home last night from 9 days at the Pop. There were at least three large groups of South American teenagers staying there. Overall, they were pretty quiet. We were in the 70s building and only heard them a couple of times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter