Crazy Borrowing Points Question..help PLEASE!

Cuddlemama

Mouseketeer
Hi there! We have been planning a Nov. 2004 Dis trip for AGES, but had to put it on hold because we're expecting another baby (#3) in LATE Sept, and just don't feel we'll be up to the travelling less than 2 months later.

So, here's the question.

We had planned a 5 day stay, but since we're postponing the trip we've decided to see if we can lengthen the stay a bit to 12 days.

We own 200 points at SSR with a Feb use year.

We will be banking this year's points completely unused.

Here's the dilemma-----

We would like to stay at OKW in Jan- early Feb of 2005. We need a studio and a 2 bedroom for 12 days. The total points needed is 465 (approximately).

Is making this reservation possible with a combination of the banked points, 2005 points and borrowed points? Can we make the reservation at the 7 month window, even though 65 of the points we'll need to use won't be available for borrowing till Feb. (which is when we would be using them)?

It will take our 200 banked points, 200 points from Feb 05 use year and 65 points from Feb 06 use year....

Ok, help me figure out how to do this and when I can make my reservations, PLEASE???

I've been on bedrest for a month and have almost 3 more months of bedrest to go so planning this vacation is saving me from insanity.

~Leigh (mom to Em and Nate and The Tiebreaker due 9/21/04), wife to Dave...planning our first DVC trip home, but one of many recent trips to see the Mouse.

princess: ::MinnieMo

You'll have to go in February in order to be borrowing from your '06 points. I think that planning for February is safer because that's your use year, and if you had to cancel a Jan. trip it would hard to use the points. You can book at the 7 month window.

Congratuations on your upcoming baby, and I'm glad that planning is helping the time go by!

Bobbi:D

You said you plan to go Jan-early Feb. With a Feb use year, it makes a big difference which month you go.

A January stay would be in your 2004 use year (2/1/04 to 1/31/05), you could not borrow 2006. If you already banked 2004, you could not use them.

A February stay would be in your 2005 use year (2/1/05 to 1/31/06), you could borrow 2006. You could also use banked 2004 & current 2005.

What you're looking to do can be done but I don't think you can book the points you need to borrow from the 06' allocation until Next Feb.05'. You can only borrow from your next years use year. I think what you may need to do is book your 2bdrm villa at the 7 mos. window and maybe book the studio for as many nights as you have enough points left before borrowing from the 06' allocation (if there's any pts left) and then book the rest of the nights for the studio in Feb.05 when you are able to borrow the rest. You may need to waitlist the rest of those nights if there's no availiblity by then but for OKW you probably have a good shot at having availiblity for that time of year, you would just have to wait to book the rest of the nights until you are in 05's allocation to borrow the points.;)

Congratulations on your new baby!!:wave:

To figure these things out, just make yourself a little chart.

February 2004 points -- Good 2/1/2004-1/31/2005
February 2005 points -- Good 2/1/2005-1/31/2006

This helps you figure things out.

For a trip in early February 2005, you could use your bnaked February 2004 points plus your new February 2005 points.

To take a trip in January 2005, you would either have to not bank those Feb. 2004 points into February 2005 or else borrow from February 2005 points. As bobbiwoz points out, a January 2005 tirp would put you at risk for losing points if you have to cancel and can't travel during 2004.

Good luck with the baby and the trip! :)

Ooops -- Missed that you also wanted to use Feb. 2006 points. You could only do this for a trip starting February 1, 2005 or later. You can make the reservation for this trip now (if it's your home resort) and you can take care of the banking and borrowing. Just remember banking and borrowing are permanent and can't be changed back to their original Use Years.

Thanks for the help, everyone. Your information definately cleared up the question, and was pretty much what I had hoped/expected to hear.

So, since search is down and I need to re-work our plans, does anybody have a link to the Caskbill planner download?

~L

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter