• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Craziest table mates you have had.

What a nice story, although I'll admit I was waiting for the parents of the boy to be Doan and Jessica!:goodvibes

Me too! That would have been perfect. ;)

I like table mates. We have done two cruises where we have been seated alone and when you have spent all day with someone, I don't need them alone for two hours. ;) We have met some great people who we keep in touch with and some who we have sailed with multiple times. :)

I don't understand how people would not know they could be seated with others at dinner. If I am spending this much, you'd better believe I am going to research everything about it - which means I would have found out about the communal dining.

I've been on two Carnival cruises previously and both times had table mates that were fine. The first time they decided to get their own table as they were ordering Indian food for their family and I think they were put off by the food we had been eating. Otherwise nothing stood out either positively or negatively.

I fully expect hubby and I will be seated with others in two weeks. Both of us are introverts but we can engage in conversations and get to know new people. That's all part of the fun of the cruise!

Oh wow! I just realized we've never had tablemates we did not know! First cruise went with parents so we were a table of 7, second time went with nieces so a table of 8, third time met amazing family on Dis ahead of cruise and were able to sit with them (some of our best friends now!), this cruise, we don't 'know' anyone and will likely be with another group...I'm ready for the adventure! :)

I don't understand how people would not know they could be seated with others at dinner. If I am spending this much, you'd better believe I am going to research everything about it - which means I would have found out about the communal dining.

I've been on two Carnival cruises previously and both times had table mates that were fine. The first time they decided to get their own table as they were ordering Indian food for their family and I think they were put off by the food we had been eating. Otherwise nothing stood out either positively or negatively.

I fully expect hubby and I will be seated with others in two weeks. Both of us are introverts but we can engage in conversations and get to know new people. That's all part of the fun of the cruise!

Agree however you would be totally shocked by the amount of people who do no research what so ever. Also as much as it can be fun to get to know others our society is becoming so diversified that differant customs and beliefs can cause the meat to be awkward.

After being shunned the first night by our tablemates I did not feel comfortable ordering a drink from the bar because they did not drink. I also learned that they were not antisocial they just came from a community were the majority of people came from the same country and they all spoke the same language.

I have always requested our own table.... after what DH and I call "The Incident" ( insert dramatic music here) We did the land and sea for our honeymoon, We were given at a table with 3 other couples, all honeymooning, so you would think that it was okay. The 1st night one of the couple got into a disagreement which was super awkward for the rest of us, they left before the entrée was served. The next night " The Incident" one of the couple was lets say... had more than their share of adult beverages, okay... they were as DD would say tore up from the floor up. There were loud and rude, to our wonderful wait staff, and she fell out of her chair... yes fell out and hit the floor and she started laughing hysterically this was all before the appetizer could be served. We all just sat there stunned, everyone was looking at what was going on. Our wait staff and others, got her up and the both of them out. The couple from the night before got up and left. So it was just us and another couple talk about a strained dinner. Luckily we had dinner at Palo the next night and for the last night we tried to get a reservation again at Palo, but were none were available, but right before we went to dinner DH called and we got lucky there was a cancellation. We did tip our servers with rotation dinning, as it was only right to leave them something, as they did there very best to regain the evenings and make it enjoyable for us.

I posted this a few minutes ago on another post. Dh and I are heading out in a few weeks for our anniversary trip, and I have requested a table for 2.. keeping my finger crossed and wishing for pixie dust.

Not crazy tablemates but crazy happenstance! Close enough ;)

We had great tablemates on our trip in May 2013. Very nice sisters who loved travel like we do. We got along well but unfortunately lost contact with them.

In September 2014, we went to Disney World and during Mickey's Not So Scary, we actually caught a glimpse of them walking by! It blew my mind that we independently planned two trips to the same places at the same time! Unfortunately we were standing in a line up for the seven dwarves and couldn't catch up with them :/ That's about as crazy as anything got for us, DCL matched us well.

Haven't had crazy but I did have friends who landed at a table with a couple (perhaps a family) who stated that they would be offended if anyone at the same table were to order alcoholic beverages of any type. My friends asked to be moved.

Not crazy, but in February I think they just said "Let's put the three solo cruisers together" or something. First, it was two guys and me, which...a tad awkward right there in and of itself. THEN... The Disney tablemate magic worked just fine for them - they were both into real estate and very conservative and...there was something else they had in common, but by then I'd tuned out as I had nothing to contribute to the conversation. I had Palo the second night, then asked to be moved.

I figured if I was going to spend dinner having no one to talk to, I could do that just as easily - and more comfortably - on my own...and I could bring my nook to read if I chose to without appearing rude.

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought how funny it would be if I started reading it and someone was referring to my family as the craziest tablemates they every had!!!!

As I think I have posted on another dining thread a long time ago, my family quite enjoyed having tablemates to engage in conversation with. On our last cruise, we were seated by ourselves, so our dinner conversation every evening went something like this...

"So... how was your day?"
"Ummmm... pretty much exactly the same as yours."
"Yeah, right. Boy, these rolls sure are delicious..."
:rolleyes1

We just had a cruise where, for the first time, we were assigned tablemates. It was two adult daughters and their mother. We all got along decently the first night. The second night the three of us went to Remy (Well, two of us ate at Remy, while my wife had to leave due to her usual seasickness). We came back the third night to find out we were, once again, having private dining. The three tablemates had left us for early dining. Apparently 8:15 was far too late for Mom to wait for dinner. I didn't mind. I'm quite capable of entertaining myself, and the three of us can get pretty ribald when in our own company.

As I think I have posted on another dining thread a long time ago, my family quite enjoyed having tablemates to engage in conversation with. On our last cruise, we were seated by ourselves, so our dinner conversation every evening went something like this...

"So... how was your day?"
"Ummmm... pretty much exactly the same as yours."
"Yeah, right. Boy, these rolls sure are delicious..."
:rolleyes1

Ha ha! That is great but opposite of our situation. We have teenage boys and a tween daughter. Dinner is the only "attendance required" family activity (although we still seem to spend a decent amount of time together because we kinda like each other). It's our chance to hear the stories of the day. There are five of us and we have never been assigned to a table with another group. My fear is that I would be the crazy person at the table although I don't floss at the table or stab children with forks... unless they really deserve it. Juuuussst kidding!

Reminds me of the saying "There is a crazy person in every family. If you don't know who it is in your family... it's probably you". :-)

Worst table mates ever on a RCCL cruise. On the first night the mother apologized for her rude 3 daughters before they arrived at the table. The Dad was always taking lots of pills and was very quiet. The girls ranged in age fro 11-16. We figured the out in a hurry. They asked where the crew bar was and asked the bus boy if he would take them there. They flirted with waiters, bus boys, bar staff, horrible. Our girls were 14 and 19 at the time and the girls mother chatted with our daughters about the books they read, school, future ambitions, etc. I felt so badly for them, their girls were totally out of control! She said thanks for sitting with us, most people change tables after the 2 nd night. Can you imagine? Sad very sad! I often wonder how they did!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter