Craving certain foods while training

MeridaAndAngus

If you had a chance to change your fate would you
I'm gearing up for the Princess 10K (which will be my second runDisney event). It seems that while I'm in more serious training mode, I crave certain foods either after I run or throughout the day.

For example, lately I've been craving a lot of watermelon, sweet potatoes, and white rice with soy sauce. I'm guessing the watermelon craving has to do with the high water content in that fruit, and I would assume the sweet potato craving is because of the potassium. Both of these are pretty healthy options, so I'm not too worried about them. But, I'm trying to limit my rice intake in an effort to lose some weight.

Does anyone else experience these sorts of cravings during training? What are some healthier foods you use as substitutes for your cravings?

Rice is simple carbs and soy sauce is sodium, so think about increasing the sodium. Assuming you're getting good carbs in, think about adding protein. The body can confuse us with simple carb cravings when it wants energy, and longer-term energy comes from protein not carbs.

(now if only my friend had shared this with me BEFORE I gained 50 of 60 lbs during pregnancy, because I had such intense carb cravings... She was in a transplant program that required routine nutritionist appointments, and that's where she learned it.)

Rice is simple carbs and soy sauce is sodium, so think about increasing the sodium. Assuming you're getting good carbs in, think about adding protein. The body can confuse us with simple carb cravings when it wants energy, and longer-term energy comes from protein not carbs. (now if only my friend had shared this with me BEFORE I gained 50 of 60 lbs during pregnancy, because I had such intense carb cravings... She was in a transplant program that required routine nutritionist appointments, and that's where she learned it.)

Good info. That was my hunch, but it's good to have some backup!

I eat a lot of peanut butter when I'm running. It keeps me from eating sugary things - for me peanut butter satisfies that craving. Of course, peanut butter is not low calorie so if you are trying to loose weight as you train maybe it's not a good option. One TBSP is about 95 calories (I buy grind it yourself in the store peanut butter so absolutely no sugar or salt or other oils added) and that really satisfies me. If you eat a banana with it it's super yummy.

I crave protien when I am training - lots of protien. I have gout so don't get enough in my diet. Your body asks for what it needs, IMO.

I weirdly crave hot dogs and beef jerky. I figure it's the protein & sodium I'm wanting.

I started drinking raw milk this year and after a training run, I can't get a glass fast enough. It has fat, protein & carbs.

But I agree, it's really interesting what sounds good when you're active.

I crave protien when I am training - lots of protien. I have gout so don't get enough in my diet. Your body asks for what it needs, IMO.

I'm always hungry. Seriously, I'm like a newborn; I eat every 1.5-2 hours on the regular, so when I'm training for a race, that intensifies.

url

To the bolded: same here. I need a lot more protein when I'm in training mode. That, and carbs. I'm a pasta fiend anyway, but when I'm training for a race, it increases nearly double, so I go from eating pasta once or twice a week, to three or four times a week.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-7107-1358976503-0.gif

I just love spaghetti, ok?!!

Oh, and coffee. I'm an early-morning runner, since I like to train in the conditions that the race will be in, and the races I typically run usually have a start time around 6am-8am, so coffee is a must. I go from 1-2 cups a day, to at least 2 maybe 3 cups a day. And then sleep like a log at night. :rotfl:

I'm always hungry. Seriously, I'm like a newborn; I eat every 1.5-2 hours on the regular, so when I'm training for a race, that intensifies. To the bolded: same here. I need a lot more protein when I'm in training mode. That, and carbs. I'm a pasta fiend anyway, but when I'm training for a race, it increases nearly double, so I go from eating pasta once or twice a week, to three or four times a week. I just love spaghetti, ok?!! Oh, and coffee. I'm an early-morning runner, since I like to train in the conditions that the race will be in, and the races I typically run usually have a start time around 6am-8am, so coffee is a must. I go from 1-2 cups a day, to at least 2 maybe 3 cups a day. And then sleep like a log at night. :rotfl:

Glad I'm not the only one!

And, of course, Buddy the Elf gives the best cooking/dietary tips! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter