• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cranky CM for Priority Seating

Dreams - ...Anyways, from the posts, I get that we will still have the same outstanding Disney experience thru the CMs of DL same as we do in WDW.
It IS Disney. :goodvibes

I have to ask a totally OT question that is spinning in my head. You mentioned that you don't fly. I see that you are lucky enough to go to WDW often. - jealous - Do you drive from Mich. to Flor. every trip!?! (Purely curiosity. I go crazy if I am in a car for more than about 3 hours.)

As for park bags, people here love the Bagalini (sp?). I have not used one. I have a little day pack that I used at WDW that I love. When I go to DL, I usually just use a fanny pack.

Four hours at Amtrak. Ahhh! That would kill me. hahaha! There is some great shopping in LA to help pass the time! :goodvibes

- Dreams

If the CM you spoke to on the Dining number truly did say all those things you quoted in the exact way you perceived them to be said, then I am very sorry you encountered such a snarky employee. In my experience, while I may have occasionally experienced a few here and there who were not quite as 'bubbly' or as chatty, or who maybe needed to end the call/conversation faster than other CM's have (because they are busy), I have never encountered anyone who spoke in that kind of patronizing, almost hostile way.

This is in no way a slam against you at all, nor is it meant to be condescending, so please don't take it that way, but sometimes, when someone leaves me a voice mail perhaps, or says something in a phone conversation in passing, and it is something I don't like that I react to emotionally right away, I miss the point or the tone behind what was really said because I am too busy making my own interpretation of it.....or taking a seed and planting a whole other tree, as I like to call it! BUT when I go back and listen to the message a second or third time, or ask the person to explain the inflammatory remark again, I don't 'hear' the things I thought I had heard the first time, and I can understand better what the person meant that set me off in the first place. In other words, sometimes our instant reactions send our minds reeling and we think something is much worse than it is. You don't have the luxury (or the nightmare!!??) of being able to go back and have that exact same conversation with the same CM again to see if it makes any more sense, or replay it so you can listen to it again and see if it just as offensive, nor do we all have the ability here to listen in on the conversation to see if we inferred the same things you did. Some of us may have spoken to the same CM and not had the same interpretation of the CM's comments as you did. Some of us may have thought they were much worse than you thought, or not even given them a second thought at all. So just keep that in mind.

You will have a great time at DLR, and 99% of the CM's are great, and we California people are a very nice bunch!:goodvibes:goodvibes

bumbershoot - We will have a rental car that we will have for the trip (actually in Anaheim 20-22 and Oxnard 22-25) We will be stuck at the train station as our train leaves to return home at 6:45pm and the rental car company at the station closes at 2p since it is Memorial day (the other car company at that location is not open at all on the holiday). So when we drop off the car at the rental location, we will have 4 hours , give or take, to wait with our luggage until the train leaves. So I am hoping to be able to get a locker to store out luggage and find somewhere with in walking distance to spend some tiem and maybe money. And I have found that the station has a really nice restaurant inside that will use up some time.

Dreams - yes we drive from Detroit metro (and YES we have the occasional meanies here too) to WDW 1-2 times a year. I like to drive, DH likes to sleep. Takes 17-19 hours and we stop in Valdosta, Ga every time to break it up. The same every year! California vacation planning is way out of my comfort zone! Never thought we would be going and so much to do and only 3 days away from wedding activities to do it! That is why I am try to get in DL! Would like to take more time, but the train travel eats into our spare time!

I wasn't offended by your posts. I don't live in California, but my whole family grew up there. They moved a few years before I was born...:mad: but I think its hard when you aren't used to making PS reservations and its all new to you. You don't know what to expect and getting someone that isn't helpful makes it even more hard. I really don't like talking on the phone with people I don't know, so I would have been thrown off a little too by that phone call.
You will have fun though, and who knows maybe your DH will end up loving DL. Hope you have a great trip!

Hey I was born in Michigan , my sis in Dearborn ! I had a terrible cm the other day too , so I called back the next day and asked for my favorite cm , he was off the first day , and he totally understood how rotten she was. I am glad you are traveling to this side of the country it really is different . Have a great trip , and remember you can always tell the cm you need to consult your calender and call back and speak to someone friendlier.

Dreams - yes we drive from Detroit metro (and YES we have the occasional meanies here too) to WDW 1-2 times a year. I like to drive, DH likes to sleep. Takes 17-19 hours and we stop in Valdosta, Ga every time to break it up. The same every year! California vacation planning is way out of my comfort zone! Never thought we would be going and so much to do and only 3 days away from wedding activities to do it! That is why I am try to get in DL! Would like to take more time, but the train travel eats into our spare time!

You like to drive. He likes to sleep. :rotfl: Perfect. :)

I think I would need a month at DL if I spent 19 hours in a car! I just HATE long car trips. "Let me up! Let me move!" Our flight to Sydney, Aust. was about that long and thank goodness I could walk around and watch movies! Always interesting to me how different people enjoy to travel.

You mentioned above that you have to return the rental car by 2pm. Just a suggestion, but have you asked if they have a drop off box. You could drop the car after they close that way - move time to drive around and do stuff (like SHOP)! :goodvibes

- Dreams

Park CM's, not all, but MOST, as much better. Thankfully so. I also have had two rude cast members while making dining arrangements in the last month! I also had a rude young man yesterday! And...I talked to him just after 10 am so perhaps I was right after you?? He sounded like he "knew it all"...was quick to cut me off, and just plain rude. I plan on sending an email to them to let them know that twice now I have left with a VERY bad taste in my mouth from disney dining! :(

Standard response is that any guest that is treated poorly should ask for a manager so that the offensive person can get help. The CM could be sick, low sugars, wife problems, or needing retraining. Immediately asking for a manager or lead lets Disney know at that time the problem exits, allows the CM to be able to defend their actions as their memory is fresh and allows the manager to gather data while things are fresh.

It does not matter if it is on the phone, written mail, or in person. Disney does not tolerate rude behavior by CMs. It cannot afford to loose guests because of cranky CMs.

My husband not really wanting to go to DL as he seems to think it is small and will be like the Six Flags we went to in Texas (BAD!) The park was small, most of the people who work there were rude and did not seem to want to be there! CMs make the vacation a great time...
Okay, now you're down on Texans, too? (Just kidding!)

We live less than a half hour from that Six Flags and have season passes. You're right. The park doesn't even come close to WDW or Disneyland. In general, the people that work there really don't add to the experience (although we've had excellent experiences with a couple). Those good experiences are the exception.

Disneyland (like WDW) is just the opposite. The cast members really make the vacation. Virtually all of them go out of their way to make your vacation special.

Disneyland is small compared to WDW, but I think it's a little bigger than MK. There's a ton of stuff packed in a limited space. Plus there's DCA right there within walking distance. No shuttles or driving 5 miles to another park. It's right there.

Disneyland is different than WDW in many ways. Most of those differences aren't better or worse, but just differences. Read through HydroGuy's A DLR Guide for WDW Vets thread so that you can understand and appreciate the differences, and focus on the things that give Disneyland an advantage. There are several rides that WDW doesn't have and a few (like Space Mountain) that are much better at DL. There are many non-Disney hotels within walking distance and those are probably the best choices, as there's no major advantage to staying at a Disney property. FastPass works just a bit different. Dining on site isn't as good. There's far more to do outside of Disney. DL takes much less planning.

Enjoy your trip!

well i am sorry for you there was a post about a week ago about one bad one an I do hope it dose stop. From what ive read it seems to be higher rate.

I do hope you have a good trip an dont let him mess it up for you.
Have fun

That's AMAZING! I've never had a CM act like that..everytime I've made PS they've been very nice..I would certianly have gotten his name and reported that. Just ridiculous.
BTW. I love AMTRAK..I hope you have a very nice trip (and that it's on time..I never make plans the first day ecasue with AMTRAK you never know..The last several times though we've been pretty close to on time, so fingers crossed for you). Are you going coach or sleeper?

I have never had a rude CM at PS. Actually the last one I had was so fun :cool1: not saying there aren't any; and I wouldn't of felt good about plunkin down $ for a PS if she was rude.
But I have had WDTC people that were obviously not very happy nor were they very disneyish LOL
It really makes you not want to give them $

FridayFun - If you can squeeze it in, the Aladdin show is worth seeing. I'm sure you'll enjoy how easy it will be to go back and forth between DL and DCA if you're use to WDW. Have a wonderful trip.

MichaelColey - I could never be down on Texans!:goodvibesI grew up in Mesquite and visit my mom and dad there as often as I can! I remembered from when I was a kid (so long ago!) it being an amazing park. But when I finally got my DH to go (I think 2 years ago) it was not what I remembered. I think we were in and out in under 3 hours, partly because we can't ride the roller coasters(turn green and things start getting ugly), but partly I guess the themeing that Disney does so well has us spoiled. Was unimpressed. Felt the same when I went back to King's Dominion in 2005. Alot of my fun comes from the atmosphere!

nunzia - so I can finally get confirmation that Amtrak is nice? I have been looking for reviews and always seem to find really old ones but nothing new to tell me how the trains and service are now! I think I noticed DCA doesn't open until 10am? Hopefully we have smooth sailing and get there close to on time! And we do have a roomette there and bedroom back. More for our fellow travelers as DH is a wicked snorer and I have (really) had nightmares of us getting thrown off the train. So hopefully being in a room dulls it a little! It has taken me 7 years to be able to sleep thru it and sometimes he still wakes me up!

Normally I do not wait this close to going to research, am an over achiever on planning (working on our vacations thru 2011 right now) but wasn't sure this was a go. But now that I have read past the Florida a DCL threads I am learning great info everyday, which is why we are staying offsite and saving $150 +/- a day and walking to the parks, like to stay Disney, but my money is getting sucked away by the train! The things we do for love!

Now, that doesn't mean everyone in ID or OR is rude but they can be! lol

\

What?? Oregonians too?? I am aghast!! :snooty:

LOL!! Actually I grew up in Cali so if I do act rude it would be more personality than geography! ;)

Fridayfun, it seems everyone has done lots to quell your fears, so this is probably redundant, but the CMs at DLR are (for the most part) just as sweet and helpful as can be. There can always be a rotten apple, but most of the "bunch" are keepers!

Back in my "before marriage and kids" days - like, a million years ago in the '80s :rotfl2:- I was fortunate enough to visit a lot of different theme parks, including a handful of Six Flags, plus DL and even WDW once. My experience was that the Disney parks were on a WHOLE different level when it came to customer service, atmosphere, and concern for making the experience "magical." I enjoyed every park for different reasons, but only Disney made me feel like I was home. I hope that your experience is as positive as mine have been, and that your DH becomes a DLR convert right along with you! ;) Have a wonderful visit, and make sure to come tell us all about it afterward! :goodvibes

I don't know how much of that is an actual decline at Six Flags and how much is just because as a kid everything seems so big and amazing. (It's probably some of both.) Disney (both WDW and DL) is one of the few places that holds the magic for adults, too. Universal comes close (but we like the one in Orlando much better). Six Flags (the three we've been to) is a parking lot carnival by comparison. They also have a pretty big emphasis on roller coasters, which doesn't do you any good.

Even if you don't like roller coasters, there are two I would suggest trying at DL. Space Mountain and California Screamin'. They're both relative slow and tame as far as roller coasters go, but extremely unique. My wife doesn't like roller coasters, but my kids (DD3 and DS6) love them, so she ends up going. She actually liked both of these, and she said California Screamin' is her favorite roller coaster anywhere.

One nice thing about DL is that it requires far less planning and can be done with far less advance notice. We planned our first trip there (including 5 other parks/attractions) 18 days before departing and our second trip (just to DL) 4 days before departing (both because we found great last minute airfare). We usually plan out WDW 3-6 months in advance.

We are going to DL for the first time for 2 whole days:goodvibeswhile going to CA for a wedding. We are non fliers so are trying out Amtrack (Dearborn, Mi - L.A. Ca = 48 hours of togetherness time:lmao:) and I am forcing my DH to go to DL as it is probably the only time we will be out that way. Well, just made our PS for B.B for lunch and the BBQ at DLR for dinner. Yes same day. So, just wondering - Are most west coasters nicer than my CM that I was on the phone with? It started as my fault - was on the phone, holding for 20 min with lunch sitting in front of me (have to go to work in an hour) well I finally had to take a bite (not smart) because the phone picked up. I apologized immediately and said just a second as I moved the phone away and swallowed/choked it down. He sarcastically said thanks, how he was immune to everything but people chewing in his ear which was like nails on chalkboards and couldn't they wait 30 seconds? I apologized again, told him my wait time and said I just needed to make 2 PS arrangments. He right away said a couple of different Characater meals +BB. I said no, told him whatI needed. Then he said "Of course you probably want 11:30am, most of you do!" To this, I didn't know what to say! Just that, yes, because I wanted BB for lunch and the BBQ for dinner. Then he was astounded that we would do them both on one day. Got the lunch then he asked for my dinner preference. I said sometime around 6p. He cut me off by saying "why did he even ask. You people always ask for" and said 3 different dining times. By this time I was just dumb founded. He told me I was set, told me the 48 hour cancellation rule and my ressie confirmation was first and last name. :confused: What was that about? I apologized for being rude. Was as nice as I could be after he made me feel 2 inches high for bothering him. And who is "You"? Does he not like Michiganders? Does he know I Dis and might know if he is giving wrong info?

Sorry for the long post. I do not post a lot, but had to vent a little. If I told DH he would definitely want to skip DL as he is a WDW snob and this is strictly for me. So just hoping that the people*/CMs I encounter in Ca will be more like the DL correspondants on the podcast as opposed to this guy! And no, I did not get his name, as this was a first for me and I kind of still do not know what happened!

as I reply to later I mean the people who work in the resort area/vacation area. NOT everyone in California!

We had the same kind of experience with a DL CM when I could not find my room only reservation on line. I was told you could only see packages. I said sorry, I thought I could, because you could see room only on the Disneyworld site and I was told "Honey, this is not Disneyworld" very sarcastically. The phone was on speaker and my husband heard her and we have been joking about the DL CM's since then. We laugh how the Disneyland CM's are mean and tough. We better watch out when were down there.:rotfl: It's OK, I'm from New York, I can handle them:snooty:

The last time that I had made a p.s. with Disney dining, was last August. And between that time and each year before hand, I had been on the receiving end of really very nice and helpful workers. Especially so the last couple of times that I had called for information, which was not long ago, last month, actually. Every CM that I have interacted with at Dl. DCA and DD, were nothing but nice, friendly and helpful. One person with the pirates, yes was a bit abrupt, not sure why, the lines were not long, thank goodness. But that was only one person, in comparison to the many CM's that I have encountered, and have interacted with otherwise or have observed. And again, all in a most positive manner.
Sometimes yes, one can just end up having a bad work day, or moment, that really can set the tone for the next guest. Working with the public, is not always such an easy thing to do, it is almost a fine art.
I hope that you enjoy your visit immensely! :) And that your train trip will seem quite fast, and smooth. You will be travelling for many hours.
I have ridden Amtrak from Sonoma County to Anaheim, yes it is a bit on the lengthy side, however I loved it! Some how, some way,time was shaved off of my itinerary, so as a result, my trip going there, only took about 8 hours. Coming back though, it would turn out to be 10 hours. That is because someone that morning in So.Ca. attempted to beat the train, which why people still try to do that, is beyond me! Anyway, the driver lost, as they normally do. Otherwise my return trip would have been somewhere between 8-9 hours,instead.
Remember to ask for your first visit button. And remember, fast passes, they are always a good thing to behold. Plus, they can be used unofficially officially past their return time, just needs to be on the same day, which is only fair of course.

MichaelColey - I could never be down on Texans!:goodvibesI grew up in Mesquite and visit my mom and dad there as often as I can! I remembered from when I was a kid (so long ago!) it being an amazing park. But when I finally got my DH to go (I think 2 years ago) it was not what I remembered. I think we were in and out in under 3 hours, partly because we can't ride the roller coasters(turn green and things start getting ugly), but partly I guess the themeing that Disney does so well has us spoiled. Was unimpressed. Felt the same when I went back to King's Dominion in 2005. Alot of my fun comes from the atmosphere!

nunzia - so I can finally get confirmation that Amtrak is nice? I have been looking for reviews and always seem to find really old ones but nothing new to tell me how the trains and service are now! I think I noticed DCA doesn't open until 10am? Hopefully we have smooth sailing and get there close to on time! And we do have a roomette there and bedroom back. More for our fellow travelers as DH is a wicked snorer and I have (really) had nightmares of us getting thrown off the train. So hopefully being in a room dulls it a little! It has taken me 7 years to be able to sleep thru it and sometimes he still wakes me up!

Normally I do not wait this close to going to research, am an over achiever on planning (working on our vacations thru 2011 right now) but wasn't sure this was a go. But now that I have read past the Florida a DCL threads I am learning great info everyday, which is why we are staying offsite and saving $150 +/- a day and walking to the parks, like to stay Disney, but my money is getting sucked away by the train! The things we do for love!

We had a sleeper from Albuquerque to Chicago and really did enjoy it. Be aware of how tiny the roomettes are. I went to the AMTRAK site and actually did a yarn on the floor size thing so my DH wouldn't be shocked..he still was. The only bummer about it is that you are riding facing each other and you really can't stretch your legs out without putting them up on the other person's seat. You have more room in coach. That said, the bathroom right there and the juices, coffee all day was nice, we had good attendants and the dining car meals included was a plus. We also had a wait in Chicago before going on to Milwaukee and the lounge was great. You have a lounge in LA you can use I believe. The sleeper part is the bottom seats put together and the top bunk drops down. I thought it would bother me with the train roof being too close to my face but it didn't. I slept well..it was a bit tricky getting in the top bunk though.
Don't be afraid to use the observation car to stretch out and not feel cramped. AMTRAK is all about attitude..just be relaxed and ejoy the ride, becasue there's nothing you can do about it anyway :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter