• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Craigslist / PayPal Help!

Shawn429

Mouseketeer
I'm trying to sell my ipod on Craigslist. I've had one good transaction (I've only ever sold one other thing) and I met up with the person at a neutral place, swapped money and product and was done.

I got an offer for my ipod, but the person wants my paypal account e-mail so she can transfer money to me.

Is this a good way to do it? I mean, she's obviously willing to pay up front. I don't know. Any help would be great!

I know it's not a "budget" question, per say, but you guys seem to be so helpful :surfweb:

Are you going to meet her to hand over the ipod to her, or is she expecting you to mail it to her? If you are going to meet her anyways, then, I don't understand why she would want to pay up front via paypal. I have accepted paypal or check for craigslist transaction but only if I am going to be mailing the item..and I usually hold the $$ for about 7-10 days to make sure that everything goes through.

She never said in her e-mail so I fired her back another one. I'm assuming by using paypal she wants me to mail it to her.

I've personally never sold anything on Craigslist w/o meeting in person, and there's arguements for and against meeting in person. However, if they want to pay by Paypal, it would be no different than selling that item on Ebay so why not? Just be careful....Paypal transactions can be reversed, so I would absolutely hold the item for a couple of days, to make sure payment stays in your paypal acct. Also you could transfer the money to your bank acct ASAP and that should offer some protection. Is she wanting you to ship the item then, after payment is received? I would charge actual shipping/insurance charges, just like if selling on Ebay.

Good luck!

Yeah, I've mentioned I would like shipping and that I wouldn't send the item until the payments been cleared. Still waiting on a response.

Thanks everyone! Any other feedback would be great!

I've just sold an item on craiglsist via paypal. I am just following the same rules that I would in a ebay sale - shipping to a verified address and using delivery confirmation.

I've also sold an item on Craigslist via Paypal. I just waited for the funds to clear and then I mailed it. It worked fine :)

I would make sure that you bring a something for them to sign saying that they received the Ipod in good, working condition and that there would be no refunds in case they file a claim against you after the transaction. I think that they have up to 30 days to make a claim. Just because you transfer the money into your bank account, doesn't mean that paypal can't backcharge you if there is a problem.

I don't have time to go looking for the exact regulation on paypal - but paypal requires TRACKABLE, PROVABLE receipt of delivery, or the seller will be at risk of a buyer chargeback.

Delivery Confirmation and shipping to a PayPal confirmed shipping address is fine.

If the above are not followed, paypal can and WILL do a chargeback and you will lose your money if the buyer lies and says she did not receive the item.

If you accept a payment via PayPal, ALWAYS ship with Delivery Confirmation. (With an Ipod, I would even add insurance)

If you are going to meet with the person to exchange the item, then require cash. A signed note or even a bill of sale will not be enough to protect you if the customer refutes via PayPal.

I have been accepting payments via PayPal since 1999 and I have never had a chargeback, not once. (knocking on wood)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter