Craigslist Frustration!

TupperMom7

DIS Veteran
Okay, I've been searching for months for a dresser and mirror for my daughter's room. I have found some, but they are too large. Others were already spoken for or not exactly what I was looking for. So yesterday I found a set of dressers, a mirror and nightstand that I liked. :surfweb:

I emailed the seller and asked him for measurements and the dresser would fit. I asked him if he would accept $175 - he was asking $250. He emailed me back saying that he would accept $225. So I didn't get back to him last night. Then this morning, I got an email from him saying he would accept $175 if we could pick it up today. I asked for his phone number and my husband called him to make arrangements for picking it up after work. Everything was all set. My husband, in the rain, removed the seats from his van and lugged them to his office. He called the man right before he left work to verify directions and let him know he was on his way. The guy said he was starting to bring the furniture outside right then. Well it was raining here, so my husband asked him to wait until he got there so it didn't get wet. He also wanted to look at it to make sure it was in working order, not all scratched, etc. Then my husband stopped at the store on his way to the guys house to pick up something. When he came back to his van, there was a voicemail from the guy saying that when he brought the furniture outside, his neighbor said he liked it and would pay the full price!! :scared1:

:sad2:Thank goodness I had not told dd10 about the dresser! I thought for sure we were getting it, as long as it worked and everything. I told Dh that maybe he scared the guy off because he said he wanted to look it over first to make sure it was okay. Maybe it was broken or something. But still, who does that to someone? Dh could have driven all the way to the guys house if he hadn't gotten the voicemail. He had just talked to him five minutes before and everything was all set. Grrrrrr.:mad:

You may not like to hear this but I think you lost out because you tried to bargain with him... $75 off in more than 30% less. That's alot. His neighbor was willing to pay full price. It may not be nice but it is not wrong. Highest bidder wins. It was the chance you took when you started trying to negotiate.

I've had people back out on craigslist too. I had one lady who said I could have a stroller, so I called and set up a time. All was ok, and about 10 minutes before I left my house to meet her she said she sold it already. I would have met her earlier, but she is the one who set up the time.

Sorry the furniture didn't work out, but I do share your frustration

This is the frustrating thing about Craigslist. Sellers are looking to make money. Buyers are looking to get more for less. Sellers and buyers generally have no previous relationship, nor hope for a future relationship. I'm sure that for every seller that finds a buyer willing to pay more, there is a buyer that canceled because they found a seller that was willing to take less. The fact that people feel justified in breaking their verbal commitments to others to earn or save a few bucks is rather sad, IMO.

Be wary of craigslist, there are many many scammers out there. My friends husband bought tickets for the Yankees/Phillies World Series Game 1 on craigslist. The tickets looked fine but, when he went to the stadium for the game the tickets were a fake, he was LIVID!

Well, I emailed him and asked him what happened, that I thought we had a deal and we were all set to pick it up. He basically repeated what happened with the neighbor offering to buy it at the asking price. He said my husband seemed hesitant because he said he wanted to look at the furniture first. Well excuse me if we want to check it out before forking over the cash buddy.:rotfl:

Anyway, I think he is lying. I emailed an inquiry to his ad from another email account and he responded with his phone number and to give him a call. I think I'm glad we didn't actually give him any money. Some things happen for a reason, so I guess we should be glad we were spared being scammed or sold furniture that might fall apart in a week.:rolleyes1

I know you are upset with the guy, but he probably figured that after talking to your husband that there was a possibility that after looking at the dresser you guys won't buy it anyway (it's possible that is wasn't in the greatest condition), and his neighbor was offering him money (and full price at that) on the spot. I know its not the best way to deal with people, but he doesn't care about your feelings and doesn't need to make you happy, he just needs to sell it for best price possible as soon as possible and get it out of the house. He got all of that accomplished and is not even thinking about you. Just move on and try to find another dresser. Good luck.

I was one of those bad Craigslist sellers lately. I guy talked me down about $50 total on some sports tickets and parking pass that I was selling. I was going to meet him at the game area to exchange. The night before the game a guy called and offered up the full price. I felt bad, but oh well. $50 more in my pocket.

I was one of those bad Craigslist sellers lately. I guy talked me down about $50 total on some sports tickets and parking pass that I was selling. I was going to meet him at the game area to exchange. The night before the game a guy called and offered up the full price. I felt bad, but oh well. $50 more in my pocket.

:scared1:See, I couldn't do that to someone. I hope you at least called the guy you were supposed to meet and let him know you sold them to someone else and didn't just let him show up for nothing.

I've had people back out on craigslist too. I had one lady who said I could have a stroller, so I called and set up a time. All was ok, and about 10 minutes before I left my house to meet her she said she sold it already. I would have met her earlier, but she is the one who set up the time.

That, my friends, is the fundamental difference between eBay and Craigslist (besides the fact that CL is also used for "shady" activities) -- when you submit a final, winning bid on eBay, it's legal and binding. CL is more of an "anything goes" mentality...

IMO, you get what you're dealing with...

Unfortunately that's how CL works sometimes. On the other hand, there've been times where I have a large item to sell, someone says they want it, so I take the seats out of my van, and drive the van to work (instead of my car which is far more fuel efficient) only to have them no-show on me. Works both ways.

For the PP who mentioned sports tickets, etc, those fall under the umbrella of items I'd never buy on CL or eBay, or anything like that. StubHub or another agency that provides some recourse/guarantee is the only way I'd do it. That said, I don't know that it's fair to say CL is full of scammers. Yes, there are some, but they're still the minority, by a long shot, and most scams can be avoided pretty easily.

You were so wrong to do this. I know it was more money in your pocket, but if you wanted the full price, you should not have negotiated a lower price. :sad2:

You have no idea what the people getting those tickets had to do to make arrangements to go. They may have had to plan a road trip, take time off from work, hire a babysitter, etc. Your backing out could have caused them alot more than just a missed chance to see a game. If you want full price - take nothing less than full price. Don't make an agreement with someone and then back out, especially at the last minute.

I had the same thing happened. I contacted a seller about 50min away from where I lived. I agreed the full price and everything but I couldn't get there until the upcoming weekend. Well lo and behold the day before when we agreed on to pick up the item she stopped responding to my email. I figured she probably already sold the item.

Well the good news is I found the same item for cheaper by another seller closer by. So in the end I didn't lose anything :)

So, keep on looking... you might get luckier anyways.

That said, I don't know that it's fair to say CL is full of scammers. Yes, there are some, but they're still the minority, by a long shot, and most scams can be avoided pretty easily.

It is so bad that Craigslist has disclaimers on its pages and in any correspondance you receive from them. Yes a lot of the people are legit, but a huge amount are not. The listings you see are only part of those submited since some are removed due to flagging

The old adage "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" holds true here. If you were a seller and someone was offering you more money now rather than waiting for a buyer that may or may not show, what would you do? The fact is that many buyers simply do not show up, so if you're a seller you sell to the first person that has the money in hand.

Unfortunately that is the way that Craigslist is. It's not a store and there is no guarantee. You are always taking a chance.

The old adage "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" holds true here. If you were a seller and someone was offering you more money now rather than waiting for a buyer that may or may not show, what would you do? The fact is that many buyers simply do not show up, so if you're a seller you sell to the first person that has the money in hand.

I agree that that is true. But you need to tell the original buyer that if you get a better offer before they can meet or pickup the item you will take that.
I know from experience that plenty of people are no shows, but I would still have to be upfront about it.

Gotta say I just had this happen to me-but it was with a car at a dealership-we drove 2 hours when I was 9 months pregnant, called an hour away, and then got there and it was sold. I share your frustration, but this sure isn't limited to CL.

I would not take the extra money - then again, I have morals.

I've seen plenty of ads where sellers state that the item has to be picked up within a day or two of an offer being agreed upon and that if the item isn't picked up by that date & time, it's going to the next best offer. I've even made agreements like that with people and I fully expect them to hold onto the item until the agreed upon time and if I can't pick the item up by then (which I always do), then I fully expect to lose the item to the next person. If I were selling an item, I would do the same.

Again, if you want more money or full price for an item, hold out on selling it until you get the amount you want!

I agree that that is true. But you need to tell the original buyer that if you get a better offer before they can meet or pickup the item you will take that.
I know from experience that plenty of people are no shows, but I would still have to be upfront about it.

Exactly!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter