Cracking down on shared accounts?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
How has Netflix cracked down on people sharing their accounts? Disney said they would follow soon with Disney+. What's the deal with this? I have neither.

The deal is; they potentially lose money when people in different households share one account. So cracking down on this might see more paid subscriptions.

I'm not saying it always works. Statistics have shown that many people who use someone else's account do not sign up for their own when caught. Sometimes the fear of being caught is enough so people stop sharing their accounts.

It happened to me on Netflix. They go by whether you are using the same wifi as the primary account (which I was not). One time I logged in and got a message saying I had to create my own account. I could be an add-on to the primary account, or just get my own full Netflix account.

I chose to be an add on, and it's costing me $8.50/month (note that is billed to the primary account holder, not me). I think this policy only applied to TVs; I seem to recall I was okay on my phone/tablet (which makes sense because you can take those with you when you travel and therefore would oftentimes not be on the 'home' wifi when using your account).

I think Hulu does it by location, not wifi. Not sure how Disney+ would do it if they chose to crack down.

It happened to me on Netflix. They go by whether you are using the same wifi as the primary account (which I was not). One time I logged in and got a message saying I had to create my own account. I could be an add-on to the primary account, or just get my own full Netflix account.

I chose to be an add on, and it's costing me $8.50/month (note that is billed to the primary account holder, not me). I think this policy only applied to TVs; I seem to recall I was okay on my phone/tablet (which makes sense because you can take those with you when you travel and therefore would oftentimes not be on the 'home' wifi when using your account).

I think Hulu does it by location, not wifi. Not sure how Disney+ would do it if they chose to crack down.
Ok. Thanks. I was wondering about this. I logged into my daughter's Disney account yesterday just to look at the Disney+ discount for resorts at the end of this year, but not her actual Disney+ account.

I think Disney is misjudging the market on this one. This plus another price increase less than a year after the last one plus everyone knows a dearth of new shows will be coming because of the writer and actor strikes.

I also think they forgot that they have some long term users because of a great 3 year plan when they first rolled Disney+ out (came to $4 a month) and when that ended those people could still renew an annual plan at $79.99 (so 6.66) a month. $6.66 jumping to 13.99 is outrageous.

I’d probably have kept it at $8 a month, but not the new price. My kids don’t watch it as much (we can just borrow the movies from the library). They prefer anime on Crunchyroll and my husband has mostly been watching documentaries and such on the free apps (freevee, pluto)

I think Disney is misjudging the market on this one. This plus another price increase less than a year after the last one plus everyone knows a dearth of new shows will be coming because of the writer and actor strikes.

I also think they forgot that they have some long term users because of a great 3 year plan when they first rolled Disney+ out (came to $4 a month) and when that ended those people could still renew an annual plan at $79.99 (so 6.66) a month. $6.66 jumping to 13.99 is outrageous.

I’d probably have kept it at $8 a month, but not the new price. My kids don’t watch it as much (we can just borrow the movies from the library). They prefer anime on Crunchyroll and my husband has mostly been watching documentaries and such on the free apps (freevee, pluto)
I totally agree. I got the introductory offer (about $4/month) for 3 years. It renewed last year for $80 for the year. I have Hulu with ads, free, through T-Mobile so I am not interested in a "bundle".

If D+ goes over $8/month, I will be hard-pressed to renew my membership. We usually watch the documentaries and "behind the scenes" park shows, and occassionally some of our favorite movies when we are feeling nostalgic. The other original content is OK, but it only stuff we watch because we already have the subscription. I'm not sure D+ has anything that I am willing to pay $120-$170/yr just to have it on hand. My teens are always watching YouTube videos anyways and that's free.

I think in the case of Neflix they changed their policy. It used to be they encouraged you to share your account with other family members. I assume they thought more people would like the product and become paying subscribers. They recently changed that policy. Not sure if Disney ever let you share accounts with other relatives. When all of them keep raising prices they probably lose customers or people decide which service they really like and drop the others.

At what point is cable cheaper than streaming? :rotfl:We cut the cord to save money but now it's climbing right back up there and is a pain in the ...

How has Netflix cracked down on people sharing their accounts? Disney said they would follow soon with Disney+. What's the deal with this? I have neither.
Disney has let us account share since day one, are they now saying they are revoking that? I think it was up to 10 people but only around 4 devices at a time.

I need to test this ... we don't share with anyone else but have two homes. I expect my service to travel with me. If it won't work at both locations this will be one we will cut out. As retirement approaches we will be cutting out some of these luxury items, especially if usage is limited.

Hulu currently makes you choose a home from wired internet connections, and sometimes makes you log in on that home network (every 30 or 60 days).

I haven't had Netflix question me yet, even though the account is split between three states.

At what point is cable cheaper than streaming? :rotfl:We cut the cord to save money but now it's climbing right back up there and is a pain in the ...

Disney has let us account share since day one, are they now saying they are revoking that? I think it was up to 10 people but only around 4 devices at a time.

I need to test this ... we don't share with anyone else but have two homes. I expect my service to travel with me. If it won't work at both locations this will be one we will cut out. As retirement approaches we will be cutting out some of these luxury items, especially if usage is limited.
From what I understand, yes, Disney+ is not going to allow account sharing like they have in the past (similar to Netflix, they used to encourage it and now don't). The announcement for D+ was vague, so more specifics are likely to be forthcoming.

For Netflix, there is a provision if you have two homes. I think there is a way to "move" the account with you for circumstances such as this (but then it 'removes' access at the primary location). So you can have it follow you, but only have access in one location.

We will pay for Disney+ for forever probably. It has saved us a ton of money and will continue to do so for a long time, despite the price increases. The movies I would have purchased for my kids more than makes up for the subscription, not to mention all of the content from Disney Jr. that would've been on cable. I did love the 3 year deal we had a the beginning, but we're still way to the good here.

As far as cracking down on shared accounts is concerned, it doesn't bother me much. This may be an unpopular opinion, but it feels like shoplifting, where everyone else eventually pays for the people taking it for free.

From what I understand, yes, Disney+ is not going to allow account sharing like they have in the past (similar to Netflix, they used to encourage it and now don't). The announcement for D+ was vague, so more specifics are likely to be forthcoming.

For Netflix, there is a provision if you have two homes. I think there is a way to "move" the account with you for circumstances such as this (but then it 'removes' access at the primary location). So you can have it follow you, but only have access in one location.
Okay then. Disney we share with granddad, daughter and good friend. And we would have the two house issue.

Two house issue is then a problem because all of us are not at one house at same time. DH works from other house some weeks while rest of us stay at primary. No extra people watching.
We will pay for Disney+ for forever probably. It has saved us a ton of money and will continue to do so for a long time, despite the price increases. The movies I would have purchased for my kids more than makes up for the subscription, not to mention all of the content from Disney Jr. that would've been on cable. I did love the 3 year deal we had a the beginning, but we're still way to the good here.

As far as cracking down on shared accounts is concerned, it doesn't bother me much. This may be an unpopular opinion, but it feels like shoplifting, where everyone else eventually pays for the people taking it for free.
Many streaming services allow this, even encouraged it. Disney+ is one, YouTubeTV is another. We only share on streaming that allows it so no shoplifting, no taking. The streaming services are giving.

As the parent of a student in college, this really annoys me. DD has a smart TV in her dorm room and last year was able to watch all our streaming services. With weekend visits, school breaks, and summer, she's home probably 40% of the year. I definitely consider her in my household. It's not like I'm sharing my password with my cousin's girlfriend's neighbor's dogsitter in a different state or something.

Many streaming services allow this, even encouraged it. Disney+ is one, YouTubeTV is another. We only share on streaming that allows it so no shoplifting, no taking. The streaming services are giving.
As the parent of a student in college, this really annoys me. DD has a smart TV in her dorm room and last year was able to watch all our streaming services. With weekend visits, school breaks, and summer, she's home probably 40% of the year. I definitely consider her in my household. It's not like I'm sharing my password with my cousin's girlfriend's neighbor's dogsitter in a different state or something.
Moneypenny said what I meant better. I've got grace for a college student, but not for the ex roommate's cousin's boyfriend. I think that's what Netflix intended but people abused it and here we are.

My best guess with this is it will rely on IP address or internet from X provider. I do not see at least now how they can track where a person is streaming from through 5g or Cellular data. I will caution against multiple logged in at the same time but 2 one from an IP address and one on cellular data will likely pass the tests. We still use cable but will sign up for D+, Apple TV, Netflix etc on occasion for a month to catch up with a show but that has been none existent in recent 6+ months and doubt it at new D+ price unless there is something exceptional great. For us minus all the BS fees (can I say that) cable is cheap compared to huge amount we would pay for internet alone. We are down to using our own Modem, Router -prefer separate- and fire sticks for the still smart TVs brands that our cable company does not have an App for it saves a lot when each box is 10 a month, Modem I don’t know any more gave it up years ago when it was 10 a month.

Renewing the disneyplus this year might be a no-go for us.
At the renewal last year, it was doable but we only use it for the grandkids. We gave our kids all the old disney dvd's when they cancelled disneyplus last year so kind of wavering..

It has to do with the IP address. I had been sharing my Netflix with my Mom. I pay the bill and am the account holder. It stopped letting her log in at her house - she was able to get in for a while using the "I am traveling" choice, but then that stopped working too. We paid the extra $8 a month to keep her on.

They want people to move to the ad based version. That is also why they will merge Hulu and D+, to make it easier to sell to advertisers.

Hulu currently makes you choose a home from wired internet connections, and sometimes makes you log in on that home network (every 30 or 60 days).

I haven't had Netflix question me yet, even though the account is split between three states.
I wonder if you add on these streaming services through Amazon if it makes a difference in accessing the subchannels from different locations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter