Crab legs at Cape May thread-crab legs still going strong! :)

1) New Cape May SEAFOOD Menu (no more crab legs, at least foreseeable future): *
. . . Seafood Selections
. . . Steamed Mussels with a side of Tomato Sambuca Broth
. . . Paella
. . . Steamed Clams
. . . Herb-marinated Salmon
. . . Batter-fried Shrimp (offered Sunday & Wednesday)
. . . Fried Clam Strips (offered Monday, Thursday, and Saturday)
. . . Batter-fried Calamari (offered Tuesday & Friday)

2) Captains Grille Menu:
. . . Snow Crab Legs New Potatoes and Corn on the Cob $29.99
. . . New York Strip Creme Fraîche Whipped Potatoes, Roasted Mushrooms, Oven-cured Tomatoes, and Cabernet Reduction $29.99
. . . Cabernet-braised Short Rib Corn Risotto, Pan Jus Reduction, and Corn Cream $24.99
. . . Rosemary-brined Pork Tenderloin Braised Pork Belly, White Bean Purée, Cherry Gastrique, Ham Jus, and Braised Greens $23.99
. . . Market Fish Seasonal Accompaniments (Market Price) Chef's Pasta Creation $19.99
. . . Chef's Vegetarian Inspiration Seasonal Accompaniments $14.99
. . . Pan-seared Chicken Roasted Carrot Purée, Green Onion, Glazed Radish, Artichokes, and Lemon-Thyme Butter $19.99
. . . Lump Crab Cakes Old Bay Gaufrette Chips, Stone-ground Mustard Cream, Lemon Emulsion, Succotash, and Greens $27.99

3) Yes, Cape May no longer has Crab Legs, but Captains Grille does.
4) However, crab legs at Capt Grille are ONE serving, not AYCTE.
5) Too many people "pigged out" on crab legs at Cape May.
6) They were no longer profitable.
7) Some people, I swear, ruin it for others !!!

* Fortunately, for many (including me), the crab legs at Cape May were small and not filled with much
meat. One had to really work to get enough. In our opinion, they were of lesser quality than the Lobster
Feast on Hwy-192. And, that is not not a glowing comment or endorsement.

I bet! We went to a buffet here a few years ago that offered crab legs, and there was a women there with MULTIPE plates of crab legs. :crazy2: I can only imagine what was happening in WDW....:rolleyes:

I agree with Rusty. We tried the snow crab legs last month. The small amount of rubbery meat you got after all the cracking and picking was ridiculous. We decided it wasn't worth it after just one cluster. I think Cape May Café is a let down. But if you like Golden Corral you'll probably be satisfied.

Welp, we won't be returning if this is true. And please, let's not blame the customer, cape may has been raising prices and cutting offerings for years now.

We will definitely be canceling our ADR if the crab legs don't return. We have made ADR's several places, only to realize the menu had recently changed. Never expected Cape May to take the crab legs off the menu. :sad2: Oh, well.

Cape May was one of our favorite places to eat at Disney. We have ate there 5 times since 2010. The last 2 meals I have noticed they cut back on buffet offerings. This has become a common theme at all Disney restaurants. They continue to increase prices and cut back on offerings. It's really sad.

I agree with Rusty. We tried the snow crab legs last month. The small amount of rubbery meat you got after all the cracking and picking was ridiculous. We decided it wasn't worth it after just one cluster. I think Cape May Café is a let down. But if you like Golden Corral you'll probably be satisfied.

Exactly the way we feel about nearly all buffets on property now. Shame that has happened,but I'll spend my money somewhere I can get better quality food for a fair price.

I bet! We went to a buffet here a few years ago that offered crab legs, and there was a women there with MULTIPE plates of crab legs. :crazy2: I can only imagine what was happening in WDW....:rolleyes:

Oh yes I've seen people pile their plates up so high with crab legs at the buffet that a few fell off their plates on the ground and they just kept walking yikes! I saw one lady at WDW wrap a few in napkins and stick them in her purse and it was summer ... Yuck who'd want to eat a crab leg later on after siting in her purse or actually to take them my goodness! Yeah I'm sure the crab legs get hit real hard by many people at the buffet so not cost effective any longer to keep them on the menu

WHAT???!!! How does a seafood buffet (really the only one on property) drop crab legs?? That's insane!

Although, sadly, I can kinda understand the decision if too many people were pigging out and hogging them and not leaving any for anyone else.

People... we really ruin everything, don't we?

Oh well good excuse to change ressie only booked Cape May for crab legs *** photos of them look good. Have also got Fultons booked for crabby craving

Well, we enjoyed our meal last December and were about to book Cape May again for this December......guess I will look for something else instead. While the food was not top notch....it wasn't bad either.

Just another reason not to go back. We tried it after they removes their best dessert: the Oreo Bon bons. The dessert selection was a big disappointment last year (and we always save room for lots of dessert!!) the food last year was okay. My dad and I put some of the "loaded potato salad" on our plates. It was inedible, (and believe me, he is far from picky). I always enjoy the mussels, Mac and cheese, chowder (even though it was changed to "seafood" from "clam") array of salads, but always included was the crab legs!!!! They've removed two great items for "cost" and just confirms our decision that we made as we left the restaurant last may, we will not be returning.

1)

3) Yes, Cape May no longer has Crab Legs, but Captains Grille does.
4) However, crab legs at Capt Grille are ONE serving, not AYCTE.
5) Too many people "pigged out" on crab legs at Cape May.
6) They were no longer profitable.
7) Some people, I swear, ruin it for others !!!

* Fortunately, for many (including me), the crab legs at Cape May were small and not filled with much
meat. One had to really work to get enough. In our opinion, they were of lesser quality than the Lobster
Feast on Hwy-192. And, that is not not a glowing comment or endorsement.

How is it the customer's fault if the Boston Lobster Feast can have 60 menu items and AYCTE lobster buffet for around $35 per person in Kissimmee, but Cape May can't do lower quality crab legs for about the same price within the busiest resort in the world? Maybe it IS actually the management trying to pinch every last nickel out of the customer. I thought the crab legs at CMC were nearly inedible, and it was a joke of a restaurant.

I wonder if they are planning to replace the crab legs with a different kind of seafood? Cape May is supposed to be a New England style seafood buffet, but without the crab legs, & it seems like they are now dwindling in the New England style seafood selections....

Actually, the real Cape May is barely above the Mason-Dixon line on the South Jersey shore, not New England, but your point is taken that almost nothing there was either New England or New Jersey seafood. It was low-end fare not even up to par for a Red Lobster restaurant.

I will check before we go in Sept. If they are not on there, then we will cancel. We have them for our last night, so will have plenty of room to cancel.

This may just be a coincidence but I was at a restaurant in South Florida last week and the person I was with ordered the crab cakes, which are on the menu all the time. The server told us they were unavailable for an unspecified period of time because the cost of crab has increased and they did not want to pass the cost on to the customer. :confused3

WHAT???!!! How does a seafood buffet (really the only one on property) drop crab legs?? That's insane!

Although, sadly, I can kinda understand the decision if too many people were pigging out and hogging them and not leaving any for anyone else.

People... we really ruin everything, don't we?
I've been there many times and that's just BS to blame the guests. Never saw anyone 'not leave any for anyone else'. Any kind of buffet has to factor in that some will eat more than others, but it's extremely rare...and virtually impossible in Disney's case for someone to eat so much that the buffet takes a loss.

With the high price for each dinner, I cant imagine Disney was taking a loss.... If you are paying $40-50 a plate, you should be able to consume a fairly large quantity of crab legs. I dont even eat seafood but was going along with the family. I am sure there are a considerable amount of guests not eating or certainly not gorging themselves with huge amounts--just to go back out in the heat and walk around a park and perhaps ride rides.:scared::scared:
I am wondering if they removed them due to the upcoming free dining promotion? :confused3

I think that if they are going to remove such a popular item then they should certainly lower the price. The ONLY way I could convince DH to go there is because of the crab legs. He just thinks it is too expensive otherwise. I love it and I don't even eat the crab legs. I don't know how I will convince him to keep our ADR there in 3 weeks. I bet a lot of people that are regulars will show up and be VERY disappointed!!! Maybe enough people will cancel or be upset when get there that it will force them to bring them back?? Here's hoping!! I anticipate, however, that many guests won't even realize what they are missing.

CMC is the one place on property that I will gladly pay the prices for - I think the buffet is great...and I don't eat the crab legs (because there is so little meat). Give me the salad bar, the cheeses, and the mussels and I will fork over my $50...

I am betting it is the high cost of crab lately and that they will be back on the buffet in time..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter