CPSC warning-----baby slings

I've always thought slings looked scary. Is it a suffocation risk, or a rebreathing of CO2 risk that would cause suffocation? So many kids die from SIDS due to re-breathing air that gets trapped in front of their faces. I could see this happening very easily in a sling, especially when the baby is sleeping...Isn't that why they invented the front carriers, like the Bjorn? We had a Bjorn, and our baby's head was always able to get fresh air.

These particular slings are very poorly designed and the issue is really with this particular design. There are lots of babywearing choices (including slings) that are totally safe as long as you're paying attention and use common sense.

This is one of those cases of using a wide brush for a small (but tragic) problem.

slings when used properly are a great baby carrying tool. There are many baby equipments that could be said of the same though (the bumpo comes to mind, they aren't meant to put on the counter/table people do it anyway) Common sense. The cradle hold was the only one that concerned me and we only used it if I could constantly check on the baby and knew there was plenty of air coming in

I am interested now. Are there baby slings out there that do not hold the baby in the c shaped positon that they are describing as dangerous?? I cannot picture in my head how that would work, unless it was like a baby born type carrier. that held them upright. We had one of those and DD hated it. We didn't try a sling mostly because I was scared of dropping her.

I am interested now. Are there baby slings out there that do not hold the baby in the c shaped positon that they are describing as dangerous?? I cannot picture in my head how that would work, unless it was like a baby born type carrier. that held them upright. We had one of those and DD hated it. We didn't try a sling mostly because I was scared of dropping her.

There are different positions you can put baby in for most slings. I personally never felt comfortable with my newborn in a cradle carry/C position. They warn you to watch that the head doesn't flop forward, but I preferred to just use a different position that was more upright and where I could see her more easily. Here is an example of how I carried my LO when she was a newborn: http://www.kangarookorner.com/wearing.aspx?t=wearingPouchTummy
I did use the bjorn a lot too at first. However, after about 8 weeks, she got big enough where the bjorn is no longer good for her spine. You want babies in a seated position not a dangling from the crotch type position.

I think this is a matter of common sense mostly. Another issue they have with slings is that if not used properly babies can fall out. Well, people also drop their babies and let them roll off of beds if they aren't careful and using common sense.

I carried my baby's ina sling all the time. In fact I hated the newer bucket seats so much that I went only for the britax convertable and carrier her in the sling every chance I could get. For tiny babys they were tucked in a U with them against me with their cheek on my chest. When they were older it was either hip carry, back carry or criss cross their legs and tuck them in the U facing out.

There are different positions you can put baby in for most slings. I personally never felt comfortable with my newborn in a cradle carry/C position. They warn you to watch that the head doesn't flop forward, but I preferred to just use a different position that was more upright and where I could see her more easily. Here is an example of how I carried my LO when she was a newborn: http://www.kangarookorner.com/wearing.aspx?t=wearingPouchTummy
I did use the bjorn a lot too at first. However, after about 8 weeks, she got big enough where the bjorn is no longer good for her spine. You want babies in a seated position not a dangling from the crotch type position.

I think this is a matter of common sense mostly. Another issue they have with slings is that if not used properly babies can fall out. Well, people also drop their babies and let them roll off of beds if they aren't careful and using common sense.
Thanks for the info. That definitely looks different than what I had seen, nad a lot safer.

That's how I held dd3 most of the time too both in a pouch and a ring sling. Dd2 did like the cradle hold. When she was really itty bitty, I would roll up a receiving blanket underneath her which kept her flatter rather than rolling into a chin to chest position, and kept her higher in the sling. All of the sling companies warn against the unsafe position.
It's sad anytime a baby dies senselessly, but babywearing can be very safe when using common sense.

As a sling mommy I agree that there are safer ways to carry a baby than the c sling. What I don't understand is the lack of information that is being released....how many babies have died and which brands of slings have the problems. I'd also like to know the ages...once a baby has head control does the risk disappear? The public has been given much fuller information with crib recalls, why not with the slings???

These particular slings are very poorly designed and the issue is really with this particular design. There are lots of babywearing choices (including slings) that are totally safe as long as you're paying attention and use common sense.

This is one of those cases of using a wide brush for a small (but tragic) problem.

I have to go with CAF on this one. I used a sling with my kiddos, and it's a no-brainer to stay vigilant to make sure they're not getting into a weird or dangerous position. There's no substitute for staying aware of your baby's situation, doesn't matter if they're in the crib, stroller, sling, or otherwise. Accidents definitely happen, and they're horribly tragic when they do (a friend lost her toddler when she was playing in a big cardboard box turned into a "house").

As a sling mommy I agree that there are safer ways to carry a baby than the c sling. What I don't understand is the lack of information that is being released....how many babies have died and which brands of slings have the problems. I'd also like to know the ages...once a baby has head control does the risk disappear? The public has been given much fuller information with crib recalls, why not with the slings???

I agree. This is what bugs me too.

I know the Infantino Slingrider is one of the ones that has had deaths - not sure how many though. That sling, however, is horrible. Even if you follow the directions, your baby is still improperly positioned. It should be taken off the market.

I have several ring slings I use and love. Most slings are perfectly safe if you use them correctly. The infantino one is not.

One reason I really love my double ring sling by Maya Wrap is that it came with a DVD to clearly show me how to use the sling safely in many different positions.

It clearly illustrates many different holds and explained which holds were best for each age and stage of development. They were clear on safety issues as well.

My youngest really loved the vertical carry and always had an unobstructed flow of fresh air.

I have to go with CAF on this one. I used a sling with my kiddos, and it's a no-brainer to stay vigilant to make sure they're not getting into a weird or dangerous position. There's no substitute for staying aware of your baby's situation, doesn't matter if they're in the crib, stroller, sling, or otherwise. Accidents definitely happen, and they're horribly tragic when they do (a friend lost her toddler when she was playing in a big cardboard box turned into a "house").

Sorry, but I am incredibly paranoid when it comes to possible accidents that can harm my children. How did the toddler die from playing in a cardboard box? Did it tip over and fall far or something? Not trying to bring up a sad subject, just wanted to add one more worry to my list.

Sorry, but I am incredibly paranoid when it comes to possible accidents that can harm my children. How did the toddler die from playing in a cardboard box? Did it tip over and fall far or something? Not trying to bring up a sad subject, just wanted to add one more worry to my list.

The box had been cut with window "shutters" that would open and close. She pushed her head out through the shutters, and when she tried to pull her head back in, they closed on either side of her neck and she suffocated. Her mom was right down the hall, folding laundry.

It's not a reason to stop letting kids play in boxes -- just cut the windows as big holes without flaps. But that's haunted me for years.

I have two major issues with this warning. First of all, the Infantino slings looked dangerous from the get-go. They just looked "wrong."

Secondly, instead of scaring people, why doesn't the gov't INFORM people of the proper use of a sling?!! Knowledge is power!

"Use of slings, also known as "babywearing," has become increasingly popular in recent years, with colorful and vibrant slings seen on Hollywood moms and sold everywhere from big retailers such as Babies R Us to smaller outfits like BabySoSmart.com in Kansas City, Mo."

I quoted the above from the article..... That statement is only true of the US. People in other countries have been "wearing " their babies for thousands of years. I used a sling, co-slept, and my DD slept on her side with a positioner and all of my children are alive !! A lot of these injuries are not caused by the product, they are caused by the consumer incorrectly using the product. Why blame the parents when they can blame the companies that made millions off of the product and the parent can sue ?? Maybe parents should be taking the blame for not following the directions. Can the companies sue the parents for slander or libel for saying it was the companies fault ?

Also Quoted ....."Tiffany Speck, a nurse who owns BabySoSmart and sells her own baby carriers, has been warning about slings where the baby falls into a chin-to-chest position in the classes she teaches at hospitals, stores and doctors' offices.

"You wouldn't want to put a baby in there," Speck said during an interview with The Associated Press. "The baby is curling, head toward toe, and what happens is the baby occludes its own airway."

Speck recommends that babies in slings remain in an upright position, with the baby's tummy facing mommy's tummy."

Does this sound wrong ? She says no to slings cuz she sells something better ?

A lot of these injuries are not caused by the product, they are caused by the consumer incorrectly using the product.

The suffocation deaths in the news recently were caused by parents using a sling correctly. The problem is that the sling indicated is unsafe even when used "as directed" and should be taken off the market. Of course any sling/carrier can be unsafe when used incorrectly, but when a product is unsafely designed then the government should step in and issue a recall.

Does this sound wrong ? She says no to slings cuz she sells something better ?

She's saying no to one particular style of sling, not all slings.

The problem is this one type of sling, the "bag sling" where the baby is held in a 'c' position where their chin touches their chest. Also the fabric obstructs the parents view of the child and causes poor airflow and rebreathing. There's some great information about safe vs unsafe slings here: www . sleepingbaby . net/ safety . php

The suffocation deaths in the news recently were caused by parents using a sling correctly. The problem is that the sling indicated is unsafe even when used "as directed" and should be taken off the market. Of course any sling/carrier can be unsafe when used incorrectly, but when a product is unsafely designed then the government should step in and issue a recall.

She's saying no to one particular style of sling, not all slings.

The problem is this one type of sling, the "bag sling" where the baby is held in a 'c' position where their chin touches their chest. Also the fabric obstructs the parents view of the child and causes poor airflow and rebreathing. There's some great information about safe vs unsafe slings here: www . sleepingbaby . net/ safety . php

thati s the way I was reading it. Carrying an infant in the C position in the particular sling mentioned has lead to suffocation deaths, and that carrying a small baby in the C position in any sling MAY present a risk, not that all slings are necessarily unsafe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter