CPAP / Sleep apnea

mainegal

<font color=purple>I am becoming very good at maki
I got back from my sleep study two hours ago. Yup, I have obstructed sleep apnea. I return for another night at the sleep clinic to get set up for a CPAP machine.

I am a little nervous about this. But if this means I will not be not wanting to fall asleep during meetings, plays, and while driving home, it will be a good thing!

Anyone have any experience with CPAP and would want to give me encouragement? Thanks!

I have two cousins who use the CPAP machine and totally swear by it. They absolutely love it and say they can actually sleep the entire night and wake up totally refreshed. They said they had forgotten what it was like to really feel awake during the day.

Good luck! :)

I have been using CPAP for over a year now. Truthfully, the screening test (where I was wired for sound) was more of a hassle than using the CPAP. I've also noticed if we go away overnight, and I forget my sleep machine, that I feel it in the morning. Not only am I sleeping better these days, my wife is as well. It takes a little getting used to at the outset, but you'll be much better off in the long run. :thumbsup2

My DH has used a CPAP machine for almost ten years and we both love it. He loves it because he wakes up actually feeling rested and I love it because I don't lay awake at night hearing him gasp for air or nudging him to get him to breathe. We also travel with his machine (it has a wonderful little carrying bag that everything fits in) and the white noise that it creates is also a welcome addition when in hotel rooms.

The only thing I'd say to watch out for is finding a mask that works for you. DH tried one that looked like a piece of scuba equipment and one that covers his nose and mouth, he found the latter was more comfortable for him. It took a month or so for him to get used to the CPAP mask to bed.

love the cpap and i dont use it..my hubby does :) best thing he ever did..we both sleep thru the nite..when he doesnt sleep with it hes miserable. been using it like 10 years also..he swears by it

i use one. its all in the mask. gotta find one works best for you. no leakage. if its not right you wont use it after speending all that time and money

check out www. cpap.com

i like to get the scented oil fragrances. like sleeping in a field of flowers

I have a similar issue, and had the sleep test with the nose-only mask a couple of weeks ago. I honestly didn't have any trouble getting to sleep or staying asleep with it on.

I have not actually purchased one yet, but it seems like a good move.

I am a respiratory therapist. Make sure that you get the right mask for you. If you sleep with your mouth open, you will need one that covers your mouth. There are a lot of choices out there. Also ask about the autopap. My patients love it. It is quiet and really comfortable for them because it adjusts the pressure based on what they need at the time. Good luck with everything!

Hi Lyn,

I began developing signs of sleep apnea before I lost weight. I have never met you, nor know if you have a weight issue, but you might want to talk to your doctor and see if there's a correlation. I no longer have issues with sleep apnea and haven't since I lost 119 pounds. I just thought I'd share my experience in case it'd help you.

I have a similar issue, and had the sleep test with the nose-only mask a couple of weeks ago. I honestly didn't have any trouble getting to sleep or staying asleep with it on.

I have not actually purchased one yet, but it seems like a good move.

It does, it does! (Says DEA's loving wife...) :)

XO
Liz

My CPAP probably saved my life! You will feel better within a week! I agree with Nikki though I am trying to get rid of mine. I've lost 90 pounds so far and see my sleep doctor again in Dec hopefully I can get rid of it soon. If I can't oh well it is worth the hassle!

My dh is always complaining about my snoring. and I have trouble falling asleep. So I wondered:

How do you manage to fall asleep in a sleep clinic? Strange bed and all by yourself?

and, for those with the c-pap machines, none of you mentioned your partner being bothered by the noise. Does the c-pap machine make noise? I'm sure DH would rather hear that than my snoring, but I wondered if that takes getting used to as well.

I love the idea of waking up feeling refreshed! We have a sleep testing clinic nearby and I sometimes think of trying it.

Oh, and I saw someone go through airport security with one. They seemed very familiar with them. They guy had to open the case like you would with a computer, but there was no searching through it or anything.

interesting topic!

My dad has a CPAP, and it is noticably different. It used to be he was tired and took naps throughout the day, and snored like a bear, seriously it shock the house, but with the CPAP, he is more awake and has more energy, you'll going to love using this.

Thanks for all the encouragement.
I have been having problems getting drowsy and drifting off at inappropriate times for much longer than I want to admit. The fact that Maine roads are not crowded with cars (like New Jersey roads) has been a blessing for me and other drivers.
I am actually looking forward to getting the device. The idea of feeling fully alert all day sounds wonderful. I hope I can get it before I leave for WDW in December.
I will probably wish I had gotten one years ago.

My dh is always complaining about my snoring. and I have trouble falling asleep. So I wondered:

How do you manage to fall asleep in a sleep clinic? Strange bed and all by yourself?

and, for those with the c-pap machines, none of you mentioned your partner being bothered by the noise. Does the c-pap machine make noise? I'm sure DH would rather hear that than my snoring, but I wondered if that takes getting used to as well.

I love the idea of waking up feeling refreshed! We have a sleep testing clinic nearby and I sometimes think of trying it.

I do not have a problem falling asleep. As my partner says, I fall asleep in theater seats, meeting rooms and in the car (both passenger and driver's seat, not good!) So, the sleep clinic bed was not a real problem for me.

For the sleep study, I had 30 (yes, thirty!) wires attached to me from the top of my head to my ankles. Sort of like a marionette. It was awkward, but not totally uncomfortable.

I was told the CPAP machine makes a noise like a small fan. Much better than snoring. As someone mentioned, white noise.

Check with your husband. Is your snoring punctuated with times when breathing stops and you start gasping for air. That is what my partner said I did. I always told him, no way and you snore, too! (I was in serious denial) The sleep clinic tech said I did exactly what my partner said I did. Exactly!

I have a feeling I will be joining the folks in saying the CPAP is great. If you think you might benefit from a sleep study, do not hesitate for years like I did.

Oh, and I saw someone go through airport security with one. They seemed very familiar with them. They guy had to open the case like you would with a computer, but there was no searching through it or anything.

interesting topic!

they gave me a sleeping pill and slept quit well.
yes the machine makes a some noise. my wife can sleep through a nuke going off and i like white noise when i sleep so not a problem for me. actually it helps me not hear my wifes house shaking snore.:dance3:

I've used a CPAP for about 2 and a half years. It has been a tremendous help. I used to get very tired/fall asleep while driving, life is much better now, I get much better sleep. Getting used to the tubing was probably the hardest.....trying to find the best position for it. I do hate traveling with the CPAP, but I'd rather fight with carrying it around rather than try to sleep without it. Good luck to you!

I have had a terrible sleep study experience and a great one. I recommend taking your own pillows and a blanket something that makes you feel more like home. I also didn't drink any caffeine that day and get up like normal. I just try to practice good habits that day. I also think you should find a clinic where there is a doctor on staff. I went to one of those sleep clinics and they had to send my sleep study to a doctor in another state. The service just wasn't as good.

My husband likes the noice and prefers to sleep with a fan on for the noise. It is pretty quiet similar to a white noise machine. It is much better than the sound of me snoring or as my husband would describe as me choking in my sleep.

Honestly if you have sleep problems of any type going to a sleep doctor will change your life.

I have mild sleep apnea and I am able to use a dental appliance. I tried the cpap and couldn't adjust to it. I have loved the dental appliance.

I have had my C-PAP for over five years now and I love it! It did take me about six months to fully get used to the windstorm on my face nightly, however, I refuse to sleep without it now.

I have more energy, lost some weight, and just overall feel better than I did before I used the C-PAP.

Sure the mask is not the most attractive device to wear to bed but you and anyone else living with you will quickly get used to the mask and not think much of it after a while.

My brother-in-law, and my father both have been tested and are using a C-PAP as well because they saw such an improvement in my lifestyle all because of adequate oxygenation when I sleep.

Yes.... oxygen is important :thumbsup2

Best wishes with the life change. It is a transition and you may feel claustrophobic or panicky sleeping with the mask at first. It is not uncommon to be prescribed a anti-anxiety sleep aid to help you with this transition. I still have my doctor write me an annual prescription just in case I start to have sleeping/anxiety issues from wearing the mask.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter