CPAP & Distilled Water

Thanks for the ideas on this thread -- I've been using my CPAP machine since January (wish I told my Dr early about the problems I had). I was put on it due to a narrow airway (I just have a mild sleep apnea) - and my blood oxyg. count was in the 80's at night.

I am planning a DCL cruise for a week & then a week at the resorts -- I only use about an inch to an inch & a half a night in the humidifier - so I will tranfer the water to the sports bottles (vs. the gallon jug) and bring it with me that way. Usually at home I fill it to the line - but I guess on the trip I'll just put in the inch or so of water each nite.

I was told by the place that provided the machine that I would qualify for a new mask in 6 mos. - so I figure I'll bring the old & new - just in case something happens.

Do you by any chance have a small ridge in the bridge of your nose where your mask sits?

My husband uses a CPAP also and he had this problem also, they suggested putting moleskin on the ridge of the mask or the bridge of your nose. By the time Dh got that advice it was an open sore, so he's got a new mask now that has made a difference but he still has a scar from the last one. I'd check into getting a new mask, or messing around with the straps on the mask (which I'm sure you've already done :) )

For anyone that needs a question answered or any other information I found two discussion boards that are all about sleep apnea and cpap. I just recently started using cpap and I found alot of good information and encouragement on these boards. :thumbsup2

http://www.talkaboutsleep.com/message-boards/

http://www.cpaptalk.com/

After reading some posts on these boards I decided to give up trying to get used to a full faced mask and try a nasal pillow and never have been so glad. Some of the people on these boards have tried every mask out there and can give you the good, the bad and the ugly about it all. :goodvibes

my hubby didn't put water in his last year while at disney but if you need it just buy a 20 oz bottle of water and fill that with distilled water and put it in your carry on or purse, you probally wont need any more than that.
I'm confused. How does this work. You can't bring water through security. Do they sell distilled water in the airport? (I doubt it)

For those of you using a CPAP with a humidifier...Are they a new model?

I got my CPAP - a Phillips Respironics - back in 2011 and it came with the water chamber for the humidifier. Since I also have chronic sinusitis, I find the humidifier really helps in the winter time. Fewer nose bleeds from dry sinuses.

At home, I will either use distilled water, or in a pinch, water that has been through our Brita water purifying container.

When I would fly on business years ago, I had to take my CPAP out of the case, but I would buy the large 2.5 gallon zip loc bags and put my CPAP in the bag. Just to (hopefully) eliminate the chance of picking up "cooties" from the bins at the airport. After reaching my destination, I would make a stop at a Wal Mart or grocery story to pick up a gallon jug of distilled water.

When I travel now, and stop and spend the night, I buy a 20 ounce bottle of drinking water from the store. That is more than enough to fill up the humidifier when we stop overnight.

Disney sells Smart Water which is distilled. That's what I use when I'm there and don't have access to a car.

For anyone that needs a question answered or any other information I found two discussion boards that are all about sleep apnea and cpap. I just recently started using cpap and I found alot of good information and encouragement on these boards. :thumbsup2

http://www.talkaboutsleep.com/message-boards/

http://www.cpaptalk.com/

After reading some posts on these boards I decided to give up trying to get used to a full faced mask and try a nasal pillow and never have been so glad. Some of the people on these boards have tried every mask out there and can give you the good, the bad and the ugly about it all. :goodvibes

I was just going to mention cpaptalk.com - they helped me so much 7 years ago when I began. I travel frequently and just use bottled water for up to 7 days. I also bring and extra nasal pillows for my mask just in case (if the mask should "break" I can duct tape it until I get home ;-). The duct tape will also help if the hose should get a leak. also bring an extension cord since you never know where the outlets will be - especially helpful on a cruise with a small cabin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter