CP Fall 2013: Hospitality and Concierge... Help!

heeytheresunshine

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone! I'm planning on doing the college program during Fall 2013, and the roles that I really want to do are either Hospitality or Concierge. However I haven't really found much information on these two roles... Can anyone help? Any information is good!

I heard that in the hospitality role you can either get front desk or runner... Do you have an option between those two or do they just place you? I really want to work at the front desk but I'm not sure about the runner position... I feel like its more "backstage" meaning I feel I won't get as much guest interaction vs. the front desk. Any help?

Overall any information on these two roles would be great. Like hours worked, pay, and what you do on the job. Oh and how are the chances of getting in? I'm a hospitality management major if that helps things...

Thank you!

Hi! I did Hospitality Spring 2010. My situation was a little different as I was recast in that role after a medical condition prevented me from doing the job I was given. So I can't really speak on interviewing or applying.

But you will usually be trained on Front Desk and Runner. Runner does deal with guests, but there is a lot of logging packages, going out to guest rooms with deliveries from the florist and assisting them when they get locked out. Most of the time is spent assembling those birthday cards that Mickey sends to guests and delivering them to the rooms. Depending on your resort you get to drive the vans, pargos (golf carts) and even segways.

It is a position you can be scheduled for, so you would see on your schedule that you were in the runner position instead of front desk, (important so you wear the correct costume) I was almost never scheduled for this position even though I was trained.

As for Front Desk, I did about 32-36 hours per week, very rarely was I ever scheduled more than 40. This was okay for me as I was not tight on money, like some people really work a lot of overtime in the CP to pay their other bills like car insurance etc. The problem is it is very difficult to pick up extra shifts in this role, unlike merchandise or QSFB where you can pretty much work anywhere and their are extra shifts. Also it can be difficult to switch shifts or give those shifts away if you need off and cannot get it.

As for hours I frequently worked 6pm to 2:30 am. During training I had to work at 5:45 am because that's what time my trainer worked :( CPs do not generally work the overnight shift. If you don't have a car, this will be a pain, as the Bus does not run that late and you will have to constantly call them and send them your work schedule so they pick you up.

A lot of people think that since you aren't working in the parks that some of the magic is lost. I don't think that is true at all! It is still magical, just a little different! I loved Front Desk because I really felt like I was helping people start their adventure at the resort, I could give them ideas about what rides their kids would like or tell them where they could meet their favorite character. Sometimes guests would be difficult but you just do the best that you can to help them and solve their problem.

There is a link to my blog in my signature, you will have to scroll back but I wrote about my Front Desk experiences. I'm applying again for Fall 2013 too!

Hi! I did Hospitality Spring 2010. My situation was a little different as I was recast in that role after a medical condition prevented me from doing the job I was given. So I can't really speak on interviewing or applying.

But you will usually be trained on Front Desk and Runner. Runner does deal with guests, but there is a lot of logging packages, going out to guest rooms with deliveries from the florist and assisting them when they get locked out. Most of the time is spent assembling those birthday cards that Mickey sends to guests and delivering them to the rooms. Depending on your resort you get to drive the vans, pargos (golf carts) and even segways.

It is a position you can be scheduled for, so you would see on your schedule that you were in the runner position instead of front desk, (important so you wear the correct costume) I was almost never scheduled for this position even though I was trained.

As for Front Desk, I did about 32-36 hours per week, very rarely was I ever scheduled more than 40. This was okay for me as I was not tight on money, like some people really work a lot of overtime in the CP to pay their other bills like car insurance etc. The problem is it is very difficult to pick up extra shifts in this role, unlike merchandise or QSFB where you can pretty much work anywhere and their are extra shifts. Also it can be difficult to switch shifts or give those shifts away if you need off and cannot get it.

As for hours I frequently worked 6pm to 2:30 am. During training I had to work at 5:45 am because that's what time my trainer worked :( CPs do not generally work the overnight shift. If you don't have a car, this will be a pain, as the Bus does not run that late and you will have to constantly call them and send them your work schedule so they pick you up.

A lot of people think that since you aren't working in the parks that some of the magic is lost. I don't think that is true at all! It is still magical, just a little different! I loved Front Desk because I really felt like I was helping people start their adventure at the resort, I could give them ideas about what rides their kids would like or tell them where they could meet their favorite character. Sometimes guests would be difficult but you just do the best that you can to help them and solve their problem.

There is a link to my blog in my signature, you will have to scroll back but I wrote about my Front Desk experiences. I'm applying again for Fall 2013 too!

Thank you! Actually I'm Leticia from the facebook group and you answered my questions there. But thank you!! :D

I'm also hoping to get Concierge in Fall 2013, though apparently it's one of the hardest roles to get. Positions are very limited and it seems as if Disney tends to give them to hospitality majors (so you probably have a much higher chance than most people). While I'd like to get into the hospitality industry, I'm currently just working on an Associate's in Business Administration at a community college.

I was accepted for Spring Advantage 2013 as a Concierge cast member. There is not very much info out there on the role itself, but Im going to be keeping a blog of my experience and I have a lot of information about the interview and stuff like that up there right now, hope this helps!

http://brookedoesdisney.tumblr.com

I was also accepted for Sring 2013 concierge! In fact, leaving tonight! I will be putting the process together. Concierge was my first and basically on,y choice. Nothing special was done for me to get this. But I do have Disney travel agent experience, and my major s travel & tourism.

I was also accepted for Sring 2013 concierge! In fact, leaving tonight! I will be putting the process together. Concierge was my first and basically on,y choice. Nothing special was done for me to get this. But I do have Disney travel agent experience, and my major s travel & tourism.

Are you doing regular Spring or Spring Advantage? I'm aiming for regular Fall '13 and Concierge is high on my list, but I've been thinking that my chances could be higher if I do FA because the training is really long and then you have more time to work as opposed to regular Fall.

I'd love to hear that you're doing regular Spring because it'll appease my fears! haha.

Thanks and best of luck with the start of your CP!!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter