• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cozumel port of call

Irishgrl

Mouseketeer
Does any one know if it's even worth getting off the boat to do some shopping. We have a 4 year old so there aren't many things we can do with him but, was thinking of checking at the mall. Is it worth it or not?

It was a lot of touristy stuff at the mall at Puerta Langosta. Cheap perfumes, booze, handbags, clothes, trinkets, etc.. There was even a pharmacy that offered about anything you can imagine, based on the same store we saw at Costa Maya. Although when we were in Cozumel, that store had been closed by the authorities. I can't imagine why? ;)

Lots of people dressed as statutes. They don't necessarily try to scare people but they can startle you when they start talking.

Irishgrl said:
Does any one know if it's even worth getting off the boat to do some shopping. We have a 4 year old so there aren't many things we can do with him but, was thinking of checking at the mall. Is it worth it or not?

I disagree, I think there are things to do as a family in Cozumel. Chankanaab is wonderful for the whole family. Has adorable sea lion shows, beautiful beaches and great food. Its like a national park, cost about $28 adult to get in (includes t shirt) so its cheaper than an excursion and the water is beautiful! So many friendly fish. Because its a private park, you don't have hecklers selling stuff etc. We have been several times and enjoy it.

I think dragging a four yr old around the public areas is more challenging then this beautiful park he/she can run around in. There's dolphins to watch. Taxi is usually about $5 each way and a slight walk past the shops and cruise terminal area and can sometimes try to sell other places but you just tell them you have your tour planned there and they will take you and get you. Our group usually has two van fulls to go there. So many nice tiki huts to lounge under.

Just one suggestion, others may have other ideas. Cozumel is wonderful! I think I snorkeled for hours there!

We took our daughter with us to Nochi Cocum for the day the week she turned 4 and we loved it. She played in the ocean and the pool and we took turns with her while my wife got a massage on the beach and I rented a wave runner

We took our daughter with us to Nochi Cocum for the day the week she turned 4 and we loved it. She played in the ocean and the pool and we took turns with her while my wife got a massage on the beach and I rented a wave runner

I have read multiple reports that this is an excellent beach. We have also been to Chankanaab and it's beautiful. Lots of places to relax, play in the sand etc. I think your whole family would enjoy either experience.

We are sailing in Feb. with 6 adults and 2 kids (3,5).
We are going to do the excursion that is called Cozumel beach day.
There are pools and a wonderful kids area with a pirate ship and other toys in a splash area. Buffett lunch included with open bar. I beleieve its $70 for adults and $60 for the kids.

Have fun.

To answer the OP question, the mall is pretty uneventful, but they had a couple of street performers if you go a little later in the day.

The couple of times I have been to Cozumel, we have gone to Nachi Cocum and the kids love it. The first time the pool was a little cool, but we played in the ocean the entire day. The second time we spent more time by the pool. My 5 year old loved the swim up bar! He learned to ask the bartender for Orange Juice in Spanish and got big kick out of it.

So like others, I would recommend getting off and doing more than the shopping, but if you are just going to do shopping, then it really depends on what else you might do if you stayed on the ship.

I agree with previous posters ....Chanakaab....it is a beautiful setting...lots to do...check out their website.

We snorkeled, swam (pool and small swimming lagoon).. We also went on a tour of a local cultural museum, which was wonderful with lunch and piñata for the kids. Next time, we will go just to Chanakaab only, they also have a Botanical Garden. Swim with Dolphins....dining, bars and entertainment. Their was a lot to do and we felt like we did not have enough time.:thumbsup2

Cozumel was our favorite port last week! We traveled with a 1 YO and a 4 YO. Chankanaab was amazing. I did the dolphin encounter with my 4 YO, who LOVED it. Amazing. Our 1YO and my husband watched the dolphins from about 1 foot away - incredible. And then we all ate great Mexican food on a gorgeous beach, under a palm tree sipping drinks out of real coconuts. My 4 YO found a big crab and then tiny crabs walking with spiral shells. It was a magical day and I would go back again in a heartbeat!

At the risk of being flamed by others...if your child loves the kids clubs as much as mine does, you could even leave your child in the very capable and concerned hands of the staff in the clubs for as long as you are comfortable doing so. (They open at 9:00 am and close at 1:00 am). Our son LOVES the club. On a prior trip, we took him to Costa Maya with us which really isn't that far away from the ship but he complained the entire way...seriously, on vacation I was hearing, "are we there yet?" "I'm hot" "I'm tired" I couldn't believe my ears! So the next day we were at Cozumel and I asked him if he would like to go to the club or with us and he wanted to go to the club! SO we let him and we went to Paradise Beach for a few hours and did a little shopping (right there at the port). By this time I'm feeling really guilty so we hurry back to the ship (thinking that he is crying and missing us) and he didn't want to leave!!! The counselor said he never even asked about us! They had fed him, made Flubber, played games, etc. He had a ball and so did we! Perfect vacation! We just returned from a 7 day on the Fantasy and my son BAWLED the night before and as we left because he was going to miss the kids club so much!

I know that a lot depends upon your child and his temperament and how his level of comfort in interacting with others but if he is the type of child that makes friends easily, the kids club might be an option for you!

Kathy

At the risk of being flamed by others...if your child loves the kids clubs as much as mine does, you could even leave your child in the very capable and concerned hands of the staff in the clubs for as long as you are comfortable doing so. (They open at 9:00 am and close at 1:00 am). Our son LOVES the club. On a prior trip, we took him to Costa Maya with us which really isn't that far away from the ship but he complained the entire way...seriously, on vacation I was hearing, "are we there yet?" "I'm hot" "I'm tired" I couldn't believe my ears! So the next day we were at Cozumel and I asked him if he would like to go to the club or with us and he wanted to go to the club! SO we let him and we went to Paradise Beach for a few hours and did a little shopping (right there at the port). By this time I'm feeling really guilty so we hurry back to the ship (thinking that he is crying and missing us) and he didn't want to leave!!! The counselor said he never even asked about us! They had fed him, made Flubber, played games, etc. He had a ball and so did we! Perfect vacation! We just returned from a 7 day on the Fantasy and my son BAWLED the night before and as we left because he was going to miss the kids club so much!

I know that a lot depends upon your child and his temperament and how his level of comfort in interacting with others but if he is the type of child that makes friends easily, the kids club might be an option for you!

Kathy

He is special needs and not totally potty trained so they told me I need to check on him every hour.

We did the Cozumel Highlights and Ruins tour and it was perfect for DD who was 2 1/2 at the time. She loved seeing the iguanas at the ruins, playing in the sand at the beach, and at the tequila factory there was a piñata for the kids (while the parents did shots ;)). It gave us a nice taste of Cozumel.

Regarding the mall I found it to be much nicer and safer than the straw market in Nassau.

Cozumel has great beaches on the south side. Nachi Cocum, Chankanaab, and for us Mr. Sanchos. Set up, get some loungers and a shaded table/area for your child (or upgrade to cushioned loungers or daybeds) - get a package if you want. Hang out and have a great beach day (build castles in the sand with toys) and lots of other stuff.... For the adults, have some mexican food, margaritas, or beer.....

And if you like shopping, at the tender landing ports you can shop but in our opinion Cozumel is one of the best stops on the Western and if youd be amiss to miss it....

We were just there a week ago. We ended up putting our kids 4 & 6 in the kids club while we got off and checked out the port. We spent about an hour in the shops and then got back on the boat. Our kids had more fun in the club than being dragged around the shopping area.

GS 15 and GD 11 at first did not like the idea of shopping. We had done water thing at Grand Cayman. After finding some areas of interest they tuned on to activity. GS found 125 knock off sun glasses for 10 bough some for friends. Did the mall and up and down street across from ship. All others that went on other tours and beaches were positive.

Next time i am sure the GS and GD will stay in club and DD and GF and GM will shop.

We are planning on a little shopping anf maybe grabbing a snack and some drinks. Dies anyone have any favorite spots? We are going on the Magic on the 27th of thus month anc it will br myself, dh, my mother in law, ds (11), dd (8) and ds (4). I never gave it any thought to leaving them in club but that sounds good to me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter