Cozumel Highlights and Mayan Ruins or Cozumel Ruins and Beach Tour

TamieH

Mouseketeer
Has anyone tried either of these excursions in Cozumel? Thoughts?

What time did you leave/return to ship? I want to make sure we have enough time to purchase some vanilla from somewhere before we get back on the ship.

Thanks

Has anyone tried either of these excursions in Cozumel? Thoughts?

What time did you leave/return to ship? I want to make sure we have enough time to purchase some vanilla from somewhere before we get back on the ship.

Thanks

We did the ruins and beach trip and had a great time. You're not gone the whole day, so you will have plenty of time afterwards to get some vanilla. We met the group at 8AM and got back early afternoon.

If I were to do anything differently, it probably would have been to stay at the beach and take a cab back instead of hop back on the bus. You think you'll have plenty of time to kick back, sip some margaritas, have some nachos and go to the beach, but we had to rush a little to much for my taste. They are totally ok with that, they just want you to tell them in advance and take all of your stuff with you. There are lockers present at the beach to stash your stuff.

Itinerary

We met the larger group at 8:00AM in the Walt Disney theater where we were each handed a towel and matching Disney character stickers. Around 8:30 or so our guide was herding us through the port area to our bus and taking us over to the ruins while he gave us the itinerary, some light hearted humor and a history lesson of the island and the Mayan people.

It was super busy at the ruins, there were 5 ships docked that day, but our guide walked us around the opposite way of the other groups so we wouldn't have to wait around or feel too crowded. It was interesting to experience the history and for our guide to explain in great detail what they know about the ruins and what the island meant to the Mayans.

After the walking tour, we had about 15 minutes to buy in the gift shop.

Then everyone back on the bus, everyone picks a drink from the cooler (water or little can of coke) and on to the beach. There is a nice 20 min or so drive out to the beach resort park and you get to relax and hear more about the island and drive along the beach.

Once at the beach area, everyone gets wristbands and you get 1 free drink (margarita, beer, etc.), there is a sit down area with a menu and a buffet; lockers and changing rooms, a beach with all sorts of things you can use (hammocks, little boats, inflatable area), a pool area and there is a waterpark (for extra charge).

The beach area is where the towel you were given comes in handy. I was so happy we brought a change of clothes with us, it was nice to not be all squishy on the bus.

Then it's back on the bus to go back to the port. We got back in the early afternoon, can't remember the exact time, but there was plenty of time to explore the port area, go shopping, go to a bar/cantina, etc.

My wife and I did the Cozumel Highlights & Mayan Ruins excursion on the 11/10/13 trip and it exceeded our expectations.

Similar set-up to that described above (convene before 8 am; walk to bus -- there were about 15 guests in total -- and then get background on the Island from an excellent, in our case, tour guide -- Gabriel.)

The Mayan ruins were very interesting, and again, Gabriel gave us great insights. We were the first bus to arrive, and were glad we were, as other ships' guests filled the entranceway after we were already underway.

From the ruins we went to a tequilla "farm?", where the blue agave plant was growing, and the tequilla was distilled. Samples, and a marguerita (for purchase) were refreshing. Next we went to a beach on the eastern side -- I believe they called it Point Lookout. Rocky, but wonderful site. Finally, we went to a location in the center of the island, where a community was built around undisturbed ruins as well as an early Church.

Excursion took over four hours, and we really enjoyed it. As noted, I believe we were very fortunate to have such an engaged tour guide; you could tell how much he cared about the topics he was educating us on.

You didn't mention if you had children going with you. If so, I'm not sure they'd find this excursion as engaging. But for us, it was great.

Hope this helps.

We will be taking 2- 17 year olds that picked this excursion along with our 12 year old that will not be wild about the ruins, but will like the beach...so its a compromise.

Thanks so much for the detailed info. I reserved it tonight when our 105 day window opened up.

There were two time slots to pick: 9:45 and 11:45 so I picked the earlier one so we could have more time at the end of the day to shop if desired or hang out back on the ship.

Exciting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter