Cozumel Excursions -- Young Kids, 1 Adult

texfinn

DIS Veteran
Hi Everyone! I am about to lose my mind trying to figure out what to do in Cozumel. Yes, I have read the Cozumel excursion reviews and Yes, I have read the Passporter pages on this BUT I am still at a loss so hoping someone else on this board has been in my predicament and can help me out.

In Cozumel, my DH is going diving. That leaves me and DD(7) and DS(4) on our own for the bulk of the day. Most excursions have age limits too high for DS. I am nervous about taking them to the beach on my own for safety reasons (although they can both swim).

Has anyone dealt with this and if so, what did you do? There is always the option of leaving them on the ship and doing something on my own BUT I feel pretty bad about doing that -- almost like I would be a bad parent to not take them off of the boat in Mexico.

Any advice would be great! Thanks!

We did this tour with our (almost) 1 year old and our 7 year old. You take an air-conditioned bus, stop at the San Gervasio ruins, then a beach on the east side of the island (with a small playground, restaurant, and great views), and the Mayan "camp" in the north part of the island. While we were not thrilled with all the shopping stops (the beach and the camp), we all enjoyed the ruins and a chance to eat and play at the beach.

This is the only tour without an age limit (and they did not charge for the baby -- it would probably be a different story for your four year old).

We took the kids to Chankanaab National Park on our own. Was pretty easy to get a taxi ride there & back with the kids. There was plenty of other disney people there (they do an excursion there - is also where you swim with the dolphins) and the park has plenty of places to explore (+ the water/beach). Overall the kids (2,6 at the time) had a great day!

We went to Chankanaab on our own too. We just got a taxi and went there -- 20 min ride maybe. The park is beautiful. i think it costs about $5 a person or something. We went on the dolphin encounter and we have a 4 year old. However, it was hard to hold on to her by myself because it was windy and in the life jacket, the waves kept sweeping her forward. You could see how it is when you get there. Despite the dolphin tours, the rest of the park and beach is fantastic. There is a cool walking trail with many "ruins" recreated and lovely plants. We saw iguanas hanging out in a tree. There is a natural salt water lagoon within the park that has an observation deck where you can see many different colored fish. There was also some huts and a woman making tortillas -- giving out samples. When we went in Jan., it was windy and on the cooler side, but the beach looked great. We definitely would have played in the sand and just relaxed if we had better weather. The taxi costs us about $15 each way and was reliable. Have fun (oh, also there is a snack bar and a fancier sit down restaurant there. they take credit and the food was good and kid friendly).

Even if you don't do the dolphin encounter at Chankanaab, they have a playground, replica ruins, botanical garden, restaurants and a pool. As stated it is very easy to get too and is very nice, clean and safe.

Our first cruise we had the same situation- DH diving, me with the kids unsure what to do and not feeling good about trying to keep up with 3 kids on my own without doing a DCL excursion. (dolphin stuff not available then due to the recent hurricane at that time in 2006) We did the submarine excursion- can your 4yr old do that? It was a safe way for us to get "under the water" LOL
Turned out great too because as we got back on the tender to get back on the ship- DH was on the tender also and I said HERE handed over the kids to him and ran back off to do some shopping (right there walking distance to the port) for cheapie souvieniers for the kids/etc. LOL
(he got up early to go diving most of the day- our excursion was later in the day)

We did the other dolphin experience offered in Cozumel. It is within walking distance, 20-25 minute walk with handicapped 6yo child. He was able to do the dolphin encounter where he got a kiss, shook hands, and gave dolphin commands, then all the kids were given a little stuffed dolphin with Cozumel on it. It was the highlight of the trip for him. There were kids a lot younger than him there. We booked it directly from them which was cheaper than doing it with disney, they will also refund you if the ship is unable to dock, if you book on your own, always be aware of cancellation policies.

Thanks for all of the advice!

In the end, I switched my DH diving day from Coz to GC and am going on the stingray tour (not DCL) on my own there with the kids. I already emailed the tour and they assured me it would not be an issue.

We have decided to spend our Coz day at Noco Cocum based on all of the feedback on this board. I'll have DH with me and he can go on one dive there through them if he really wants to (not such a big time committment).

I definitely want to do the dolphin trip with the kids but am thinking I will wait until DS(4) is just a bit older so he will remember the whole thing. I guess that is a GREAT excuse for another cruise right?

Thanks again for the help! This board is AWESOME!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter