Cozumel Excursions Tips? Advice?

Corryn

DIS Veteran
Hello,
We're doing the Western next April and we're getting excited, trying to figure out what exactly to do.

We're from Long Island and during the summer, we're at the ocean beaches often and my husband's father has a boat that we go on as well.

I want to know if anyone has done something in Cozumel other than a beach excursion. When I look at the trip reports and read other threads, they mainly consist of beach excursions. We don't want to spend our time laying on the beach, the only beach we're looking forward to enjoying is Castaway Cay.

Any tips or advice?
Thanks! :wave:

we're originally from LI too (Merrick, Commack) and now live in S FL , so we know what you mean about beach excursions....

For Coz, I would recommend foregoing the typical excursions.....the shopping along the main drag is very good, and lots of fun....some on this board find the locals a bit pushy when selling their wares, but that just adds to the charm of Coz.....

If shopping is not your thing, I would recommend an excursion to the Tulum Ruins.....

The best part of my entire trip was the off road jeep excursion. I have never driven off road and it was FANTASTIC. I booked through disney and LOVED the trip. The driving was wonderful, the 1.5 hour stop at the beach is not like other beaches....great lunch...I HIGHLY recommend this trip. On our cruise, only 5 other Magic passengers were on the trip. Our guide, Edwardo, was truly funny and very enjoyable.
It isn't a cheap trip - but, as we were sitting on the beach (before the best part of the drive), another couple on the trip and I were commenting that money can't buy happiness but this was certainly close!!!!

There is still time for shopping after the excursion
Have a great trip
Barb

My husband had a riot playing golf the whole time! I took the baby and two of the grandkids to see the sea lions and parrots at Chankanaab Sea Lion Discovery (lots of fun!) along with my daughter-in-law. The others had fun exploring the caverns on the beach.

We did the Dolphin Discovery at Chankanaab. Memories for a lifetime. My ds5 loved it as well as my family (ranging from 5 - 66).

we'll be on the Western cruise next april as well, and hadn't started looking at the excursions yet....but thanks Corryn for starting this - definitely some great info and now we'll probably start thinking more about all the possible excursions.....

If we were not wanting to do the snorkeling at Cozumel (which I hear is fantastic) we'd be looking into the offroad jeep excursion or a ruins tour. :thumbsup2 I think even if we were ones who went to a beach often....I wouldn't want to pass up the oportunity to see what's under the water in a tropical place like Cozumel. ;) ....unless I lived someplace tropical...which I don't.

Two years ago we did the BEACH break at COZ.. it was great. a short(20 min ) maybe bus ride to a gorgous beach.. a great buffet.. lounge chairs free drinks recreation toys like trampoline, paddle boats, and other things.. they did have a village goods to buy crafts and stuff as you enter to complex.. My family loved it.. it was 3 adults and dd 15 ds 11... we had a great day... and they also have a crystal clear blue pool as well..

This week we are doing the COZ beach fury catameran snorkal party . We thought we would try something different and all our DIS friends are doing it with us...

DOREEN

We live at a beach, too, so we understand exactly how you feel. We've done Cozumel twice. First time we did a tour of the island and some shopping...nothing spectacular other than the great Mexican meal we had. Second time we did the dolphin swim. That was a fantastic excursion. I smile every time I pass the pic on the dresser with my 11 yo DD kissing that dolphin. :love:

Cheryl

Another Long Islander here..... :yay:

I just booked the Dune Buggy :moped: and Snorkel trip.

Driving along the beach, thru the town and then out into the surrounding area - snorkeling off the beach (instead of jumping off a boat!) sounds really nice to me.
We LOVE to snorkel but have never done anything like a dune buggie ride so am really looking forward to trying it!

mattmommy said:
We did the Dolphin Discovery at Chankanaab. Memories for a lifetime. My ds5 loved it as well as my family (ranging from 5 - 66).
I am signed up for this very same excursion. Question; when did you do this? It is my understanding that Hurricane Wilma pretty much destroyed the place and it is now completely rebuilt. How much one on one do you actually get with the dophins? Is it worth brining my own camera, or do they do a good job with the photos you can purchase.

bstsuda said:
we'll be on the Western cruise next april as well, and hadn't started looking at the excursions yet....but thanks Corryn for starting this - definitely some great info and now we'll probably start thinking more about all the possible excursions.....
Hey, with all the money we're going to spend we might as well start planning(and saving!)
We can't book until we're all paid, but I don't want to get shut out of anything because I didn't plan early.
Thank you for the tips and keep them coming!
StaceyMerrill, I work in Commack at the L.I. Business Inst. over on Jericho :)
You're better off in Boca! (I'm jealous :goodvibes )
Hey GrayFal :wave:
Doreen, did you say You're Going This Week?!?!?! Have fun!!!

I think we may be on the same cruise ...

I am going for my SCUBA certification now, so that is what I will probably be doing ... not sure about the rest of the family -- DW will probably want to do some sort of touring; DS16 will want to sleep in and stay onboard; DS13 will probably join DW

We went on the Xcaret Eco Archaeological Park excursion our last cruise (booked through DCL) and loved it!! Very nice park with lots to do. And our tour guide was fabulous.

This October we are booked on the Tulum ruins tour.

Great info - we live at the beach as well but I can never get enough of seeing and exploring different beaches!!

It's a shame the cruise ships can't give us more time at the port!

ScouterJT said:
I think we may be on the same cruise ...

I am going for my SCUBA certification now, so that is what I will probably be doing ... not sure about the rest of the family -- DW will probably want to do some sort of touring; DS16 will want to sleep in and stay onboard; DS13 will probably join DW
Did you see this thread yet? It's the thread for our cruise...You can go over and see who is cruising with us :)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=967361
It's me, DH, DD"s 13 & 14 and a whooooolllle big group of us going!
Congrats on the Scuba, that's fun!
We were hoping to do XCaret and they have the SNuba...

Ok, so I'm resurrecting old threads today... :rotfl: I'm trying to find a good Cozumel excursion for our group, including 3-6yo's. I'd love to hear your excursion experiences for those of you that posted here! We're considering 5, including the DD, and the Catamaran. The main concern about the DD is that I've read it isn't a good beach for kids swimming. If we ended up doing DD, I wonder how difficult/far/cost it would be to go to another beach after having the dolphin time? It's so hard when you've never been to these places, to make these plans! :scared:

Thanks for any help!!! :)

The DD was completely awesome, but only lasted about 30 - 45 minutes. We never went to the beach so I can't help you there.

We loved the jeep excursion too. We only stopped for lunch at the beach and a quick trip into the water. The rest of the trip was great! Loved the nice empty roads and we got to see crocodiles, vultures, small ruins, and a lighthouse. Before you get back to town you stop for souvenirs at a little shop.

One word - Xcaret!

The eco-park, I love it so much. Everytime we are near Cozumel, my husband and I (late 20s, early 30s) go to Xcaret. One of my favourite places in the world. If you go to Google and search Xcaret you'll find their official website. It's a beautiful park with so much to do, a lot for everybody. Everything from Mayan Ruins to aquariums, jungle hiking, zoo, butterfly gardens, swimming with dolphins & sea turtles (at an extra cost), swimming through caves & underground rivers, great food, great drinks, shopping, beach, Mexican cemetery, amazing shrine, iguanas everywhere - my favourite excursion on any cruise to date.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter