Cozumel: Dolphin Swim at Dolphinaris

kwyama

Earning My Ears
Trying to figure out if we want any port adventures in Cozumel. The Dolphin Swim looked fun, but it says 3 to 3.5 hours -- from those that have been on it, is the experience really that long? That might be too long for us.

Also saw that this was available to book outside Disney, does anyone have an opinion on that?

Thanks.

I am also considering this excursion and booking outside of Disney. Curious to also hear from others who have experience with this.

Disney has contracts with most or all of the dolphin places in the Western Caribbean prohibiting them from booking DCL guests so the only way to book is not to tell them you are on DCL. Basically you need to tell them you are staying at a local hotel and they will ask you which one.

I did this at Dolphin Discovery in part because DCL would not allow me to book myself and my two children because of their ages without another adult which I didn't have.

Disney has contracts with most or all of the dolphin places in the Western Caribbean prohibiting them from booking DCL guests so the only way to book is not to tell them you are on DCL. Basically you need to tell them you are staying at a local hotel and they will ask you which one.

I did this at Dolphin Discovery in part because DCL would not allow me to book myself and my two children because of their ages without another adult which I didn't have.

Please dont swim with the dolphins or support this kind of captivity. Its best to show your children animals in their normal enviroment not penned up in a small lagoon. Please watch and look into The Cove to learn more about how they capture these poor dolphins from freedom:(

Thanks havaneselover! I am in a different but similar situation. Disney offers 2 types of excursions at this location - a kids only interaction with parent observer and a full dolphin swim. My kids (who I just noticed will be the same age as yours when we cruise) are timid to swim with them but just went to be able to get in the water and touch them, get the kiss, etc. ideally, id also like to experience this with them and not just be an observer outside the pool which doesn't look to be an option if I book through Disney.

We did Dolphinaris and loved it. There is a lot of shopping right as you get off the ship in Cozumel, not much else. I was glad we had an excursion booked.

My dds were 7 & 10 and we did the "Push, Pull, & Swim".

We were on the wonder Easter week. It was spring break for our kids. We had 3 of our 4 children with us ages 14, 9, and 5. The actual time in the water with the dolphins is about 45 minutes. The rest of the time must include all the extra waiting we did. We got there and had to wait about 15 minutes before our group started. Next you have your first briefing. Then you change clothes if u need to and they do have lockers for your belongings. You have to rent them. Next they have to go around and ask everyone how many people are in their party and life jackets and goggles have to be issued. My family enjoyed it I hope u will too.

We were on the wonder Easter week. It was spring break for our kids. We had 3 of our 4 children with us ages 14, 9, and 5. The actual time in the water with the dolphins is about 45 minutes. The rest of the time must include all the extra waiting we did. We got there and had to wait about 15 minutes before our group started. Next you have your first briefing. Then you change clothes if u need to and they do have lockers for your belongings. You have to rent them. Next they have to go around and ask everyone how many people are in their party and life jackets and goggles have to be issued. My family enjoyed it I hope u will too.

Thanks Sidme!! Did you book through Disney and how did your 5 year old do the swim too?

Yes we booked thru disney once we boarded the ship and my 5 year old rode on my husbands back. It was really nice.

My son(17) and I were on the Fantasy on March 2, 2013 and I booked my son for the swim and I did the observer. We were gone 3-3.5 hrs by the time you walk out the long wharf, through the shopping plaza to where they put everyone in taxis. The drive was short maybe 5-6 minutes. Then we did wait about 10-15 min to be taken in as a large group. Life vest and goggles were given out and a brief demonstration of the hand signals the dolphins understand. Then everyone was divided into groups according to what program they were doing and led my the instructor to their pool. My son had I feel 1 hr in the water and there were only 6-7 in his group so lots of time with the dolphins for each one of the group members. They did all the listed things on the website plus the dolphins loved to play with them. Josh's group had two female dolphins and they had a great time. I could hear him laughing all the way to where I was sitting. He had a permanent smile on his face. The animals were well looked after and seemed very happy and playful. the dolphins were awesome with young children. they knew they had a younger child and went visably slower through the water with the child hanging onto their fins. No child during the time I was there looked the least bit scared. the dolphins were awesome!! all the people in the water were smiling and having a great time. the facility is beautiful!!! right on the ocean. I watched boats cruise ships etc sail on by while watching Josh also. He said that was one of the top experiences of his life and he was so glad he was able to do it. I felt it was definitely worth the price and I felt secure going through dcl that everything would be looked after. Hope this helps. One other tip on our cruise and I know a few before us the ship didnt make it to Grand Cayman because of high seas. I was very thankful I had booked for cozumel because the ship docks right at the wharf. No tendering needed. So no loss of excursion and no disappointment.

We did this in December (booking through DCL) and had an absolute blast. As already noted, the full 3 to 3.5 hours includes start to finish, as we were not at Dolphinaris nearly that long. We had two couples and four kids -- two 10-year old girls, an 8-year old girl and a 5-year old boy. The 5-year old was the only one not able to do the belly ride on his own, but he was able to do it with his dad. If you do the full "swim," you kiss (and get kissed), hug, high-five, and swim/ride with your dolphin, as well as plenty of opportunities just to touch/pet.

Note that you cannot take your own camera. Naturally, they have a photograph and videographer with your group the whole time and are all too happy to sell you the pictures and video later! If there is an observer in your group with a really good telephoto lense, you might be able to get some decent shots (although that is even doubtful), but if everyone in your group is swimming, then be ready to do some bargaining with the guys in the photo room. With our two families, we left with some prints, all of our pictures on a CD, as well as a DVD of our whole experience...not particularly cheap, but quite a bit lower than the original "offer," so don't hesitate to bargain with them.

Our girls had the time of their lives with this (as did DW!...ok, me too!).

We opted to eat lunch there after our experience. It was actually pretty decent (how's that for an endorsement?!). If you have a lot of spare time, you might seek out some local favorites, but for convenience, I'd give it a vote!

This is exactly the information I needed -- how much time from the time you leave the boat till you get back. Sounds like a great trip -- glad everyone had a good time doing it. If we decide to do it, I hope we will have a similar experience.

Thanks for the answers. Much appreciated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter