• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cowboys & Canyons

Bronxboy, thanks so much for the detailed information!! I will make it a point to get a reservation for the wine tasting and dinner at El Tovar! (Have always wanted to stay at El Tovar – a tad disappointed that we will not be staying there. . . .)

To be honest, appetizers and wine on the patio at El Tovar sounds great! I may prefer that to a real dinner in the dining room. My husband and I often opt for apps and wine in lieu of dinner while on vacation and it is usually a great time.

If you think of anything else, please post! It will be greatly appreciated!

I agree with thumpermom - thank you very much for sharing! We fly out a month from today and we can't wait. Please any other helpful hints you could share would be appreciated :)

I agree with thumpermom - thank you very much for sharing! We fly out a month from today and we can't wait. Please any other helpful hints you could share would be appreciated :)

My wife and I did lunch at El Tovar. It was very good. We got back to the Thunderbird Lodge at around 11:45 and had an early lunch. The place was empty, except for the ABD folks who had the same idea. this left us a few hours to explore the Grand Canyon on our own and still do the 4:30 helicopter tour. Capping the day off with appetizers, wine and desserts (which were yummy) on the veranda of El Tovar, watching the sun set over the Canyon was tremendous.
If you have a compact pair of binoculars, you should bring them. It enhances some of the experiences you will have. When you go to Monument Valley, there are a couple of stops at which you will be able to buy Native American jewelry right from the source. They are beautiful and and inexpensive.:thumbsup2

Well ok then, I’m already planning my jewelry purchases! Can you use credit cards or will it be necessary to have cash? Actually, during the trip, were there times where cash was necessary (excluding tips)?

And, completely unrelated, how cool did it get in the evening/night? What type of outerwear is needed?

TIA! :flower3:

Well ok then, I’m already planning my jewelry purchases! Can you use credit cards or will it be necessary to have cash? Actually, during the trip, were there times where cash was necessary (excluding tips)?

And, completely unrelated, how cool did it get in the evening/night? What type of outerwear is needed?

TIA! :flower3:

Most of the little Native American jewelry stands take cash only. There are a couple of larger ones that will accept credit cards, but I know that cash is preferable to them. Pretty much all other places take credit cards.
As for the weather, we were incredibly lucky. We didn't even see a cloud in the sky until we got to Moab. During the day in Sedona and at the Grand Canyon, it was in the mid-80's. with virtually no humidity. At night at the Grand Canyon, it got down to the low 30's. It is a short walk from the Thunderbird Lodge to the El Tovar, where breakfast is served. Since we wore shorts, t-shirts and a light windbreaker, we had to walk fast! I did warm up pretty quickly. At Sedona and Moab, the morning temps were in the 50's. Since it will be summer when you go, I would think the temps (both highs and lows) will increase. I started tracking the long-range forecast at each location at weather.com about 2 weeks before the trip, so I could get some idea what to expect.:wave2:

When you are at the Grand Canyon, there is a shop that sells jewelry, and you can use your credit card. In Monument Valley, there will be some jewelry tents set up. You'll need cash here. The items are relatively cheap and very nice. It's a great spot to pick up souveniors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter