• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cowboys & Canyons

Bronxboy52

Earning My Ears
Just got back from the adults only Cowboys & Canyons trip. There is only one word to say about it: "Awe Inspiring" (actually that's two words)! This was our first time in that part of the country and it is truly amazing. The Grand Canyon is more beautiful than the photos that we had seen, Arches National Park and Monument Valley are unbelievable. I would highly recommend the helicopter tour on the free afternoon at the Grand Canyon. While it is a bit pricey, it is worth every penny to see one of the seven wonders of the world from above.
For those who have never been there (like my wife and I), I do not want to spoil the the trip with any further description of these natural wonders. The rafting trip on the Colorado River on the last afternoon was a perfect way to end what was an amazing trip.
While Mother Nature provided the natural beauty of the trip, it would not have been as enjoyable without our guides, Tiffany and Mike. They were incredible in every sense of the word. From the moment we met them at the Phoenix Airport until we left in Grand Junction 8 days later, Mike & Tiffany made this vacation so much fun. I cannot recall having laughed so much in many years. Mike and Tiffany are true professionals and it is obvious how much they love their jobs. From getting to know each and every person in our group, to dealing the little glitches that occur on any trip, to doing the little extras that make vacations memorable, Mike & Tiffany handled everything with grace, aplomb and great humor. We thought that the guides we had on our Viva Italia trip 3 years ago were great, but Mike & Tiffany are at a whole other level. When we book our third ABD trip, we hope that either or both Mike & Tiffany are our tour guides.
As an aside, all of our flights arrived early and our luggage was the first off the carousel every time. Can we attribute that to "Disney magic" and our great fortune in having Mike & Tiffany as our guides, who knows, but I would not rule that out as a possibility!:cool1::goodvibes

Glad to hear you had a great time. We had Tiffany on our trip to Montana and Alberta and she is amazing. Hopefully she will still be there next month when we are to take that trip. Was the jeep ride really bumpy or so-so if I may ask? Thanks.

P.S. my wife was born in Jersey City N.J.......

The off-road jeep excursion at Enchantment was not bad at all. The one that occurs in Monument Valley is really dusty. I would suggest that you wear the oldest clothes that you bring. BTW, the Enchantment Lodge in Sedona is one of the best places I have ever stayed at. the location, facilities, staff and food are amazing. You will absolutely love this trip. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask. I have only been back 1 day and i am very jealous of you. :cool1:

We are doing this trip next month- July 3-10 and can't wait! Glad you had a great time! Did the helicopter take a long time? I read that it took up all your "free" time and then no time to walk around and explore.

I am very happy to hear you had a wonderful time! My husband and I are scheduled for the Aug 28 – Sep 4 adults only trip and simply cannot wait! :goodvibes This will be our first ABD trip and our first trip to that part of the country.

I would love to hear any advice you can give. I am especially interested in what should be packed. I’m a notoriously bad packer (always over pack) and I know that’s not an option. Any insight will be most appreciated.

We are doing this trip next month- July 3-10 and can't wait! Glad you had a great time! Did the helicopter take a long time? I read that it took up all your "free" time and then no time to walk around and explore.

There are 2 options for the helicopter trip. There is a 25-30 minute tour and a 45-50 minute tour. We opted for the longer one, since who knows when we would get that opportunity again. While it is a bit more money ( I think about $45/person) for the longer tour, it was well worth it. The view you get from above is breath-taking. There are 2 major helicopter operators, Maverick (which is the one we chose) and Papillion. If you go on-line to both websites, you can book the tours in advance. They are offered throughout the day.
On the day we did our tour, Saturday, May 15th, the ABD activities ended at about 11:30 AM. We did our tour at 4:30 PM (had to be there at 4:00). We still had a few hours to enjoy the Grand Canyon before we had to leave for the tour.
Hope this helps.:thumbsup2

I am very happy to hear you had a wonderful time! My husband and I are scheduled for the Aug 28 – Sep 4 adults only trip and simply cannot wait! :goodvibes This will be our first ABD trip and our first trip to that part of the country.

I would love to hear any advice you can give. I am especially interested in what should be packed. I’m a notoriously bad packer (always over pack) and I know that’s not an option. Any insight will be most appreciated.

You picked a great trip for your "maiden" ABD experience. I, too, usually overpack (as I did on this trip). Everything is pretty casual throughout. Bring clothes that you may want to wear more than once. There will be an opportunity to do a wash at the Red Cliffs Lodge (which is what we did). The only time I did not wear shorts was at the farewell dinner, although some people did. Sunscreen is an absolute must. If you have a pair of water shoes, you will need them for the rafting on the Colorado River excursion (which was so much fun). Also leave room for purchases, as some of the native American art is beautiful. If you are a wine drinker, there is a winery affiliated with the Red Cliffs Lodge on premises. The wine is very good and reasonably priced. They offer wine tastings, free of charge, from 12:00 PM to 7:00 PM each day. Since they do not ship to New Jersey, we managed to put 3 bottles in our luggage and brought them home. The restaurant at the Lodge marks up the wine by about 100%. If you buy the wine at the winery and bring it to dinner, there is a $10 corkage fee. Even with that, it still comes out cheaper. Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask all the questions you want.

There are 2 options for the helicopter trip. There is a 25-30 minute tour and a 45-50 minute tour. We opted for the longer one, since who knows when we would get that opportunity again. While it is a bit more money ( I think about $45/person) for the longer tour, it was well worth it. The view you get from above is breath-taking. There are 2 major helicopter operators, Maverick (which is the one we chose) and Papillion. If you go on-line to both websites, you can book the tours in advance. They are offered throughout the day.
On the day we did our tour, Saturday, May 15th, the ABD activities ended at about 11:30 AM. We did our tour at 4:30 PM (had to be there at 4:00). We still had a few hours to enjoy the Grand Canyon before we had to leave for the tour.
Hope this helps.:thumbsup2

Thank you very much! This too is our 1st ABD trip - so lots of questions :) Did the guides help you get to the place for the rides or were you on your own.

I read what you wrote about packing...so t-shirts and shorts are fine? We were wondering about golf shirts/polo shirts for my husband and our boys - especially for the dinners. Is that dressy enough or too dressy? Hope I am making sense:)

Thank you very much! This too is our 1st ABD trip - so lots of questions :) Did the guides help you get to the place for the rides or were you on your own.

I read what you wrote about packing...so t-shirts and shorts are fine? We were wondering about golf shirts/polo shirts for my husband and our boys - especially for the dinners. Is that dressy enough or too dressy? Hope I am making sense:)

T-shirts and shorts are fine. Golf or collared shirts for the dinners are also fine. In fact, unless you go to one of the more upscale restaurants, shirts and t-shirts will probably suffice. As for the the booking of the helicopter tour, we made the arrangements on our own. I think that there are liability issues for the guides to make the reservation. I did it 2 days before the tour. I should also let you know that, depending on which property you are staying at, cell phone/internet service is spotty at best. :goodvibes

Thanks for the encouragement! I’m excited . . . and a bit nervous! I can’t wait to see and experience everything!

Water shoes – never thought of that. What about hiking? Are hiking boots/shoes necessary or will tennis shoes work?

If you are a wine drinker, there is a winery affiliated with the Red Cliffs Lodge on premises. The wine is very good and reasonably priced. They offer wine tastings, free of charge, from 12:00 PM to 7:00 PM each day. Since they do not ship to New Jersey, we managed to put 3 bottles in our luggage and brought them home. The restaurant at the Lodge marks up the wine by about 100%. If you buy the wine at the winery and bring it to dinner, there is a $10 corkage fee. Even with that, it still comes out cheaper. Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask all the questions you want.

Now THIS is great information!!! I wondered about the wine situation, and what and how it would be available. :rolleyes1 I will happily pay a $10 corkage fee if it means better (and especially if it's still cheaper) wine.

I hope I don’t take advantage of you as I am sure I will have more questions.

Thanks for the encouragement! I’m excited . . . and a bit nervous! I can’t wait to see and experience everything!

Water shoes – never thought of that. What about hiking? Are hiking boots/shoes necessary or will tennis shoes work?

Now THIS is great information!!! I wondered about the wine situation, and what and how it would be available. :rolleyes1 I will happily pay a $10 corkage fee if it means better (and especially if it's still cheaper) wine.

I read on another post that someone wore sneakers and keens. We just bought some keens hoping with the open work on them they will be cooler than sneakers.

T-shirts and shorts are fine. Golf or collared shirts for the dinners are also fine. In fact, unless you go to one of the more upscale restaurants, shirts and t-shirts will probably suffice. As for the the booking of the helicopter tour, we made the arrangements on our own. I think that there are liability issues for the guides to make the reservation. I did it 2 days before the tour. I should also let you know that, depending on which property you are staying at, cell phone/internet service is spotty at best. :goodvibes

Thanks. We are going with our 2 boys. 10 and 12 so not really into the upscale restaurants. Do you get an itinerary before going? I have read a lot about receiving a box from ABD but not really sure what it is.

Thanks. We are going with our 2 boys. 10 and 12 so not really into the upscale restaurants. Do you get an itinerary before going? I have read a lot about receiving a box from ABD but not really sure what it is.

The box includes a handbook with details of the itinerary and some other information. The itinerary is similar to the information on the ABD website with a little more detail.

I read on another post that someone wore sneakers and keens. We just bought some keens hoping with the open work on them they will be cooler than sneakers.

When I took this trip, I just wore my regular running shoes for the hikes. I wear Keens for rafting and other water activities. I've been wearing them for several years, and I don't find that they keep my feet cool. I wore them to a water park yesterday and I was thinking at the time how hot my feet were, even when they were wet.

Sneakers are fine for hiking. Most people did wear them. Some wore running shoes. I wore an old pair of cross-trainers, which were fine. I did not bring any water shoes, but wore the cross-trainers. They got pretty wet, but were sufficient for the rafting.

Thanks Bronxboy! I'm sure I will have more questions as my trip gets closer.

Any plans for a trip report or photos? :lovestruc

If you are looking for trip reports on this itinerary, look under "Southwest Splendors" in the Trip Report sticky at the top of this Forum. They changed the name of the trip last year.

Looking forward to new Trip Reports, too!

I agree, this is a fabulous trip!

Sayhello

Thanks Sayhello. Yes, I have been lurking on this forum for a while :blush: and have read your report as well as the others. They are a wealth of information, and I have thoroughly enjoy them! Thanks to all who share. They helped me to make our initial decision to book the trip!

I am a planner and consume any tidbit of information that I can find, both on the Dis and via google search. This forum is by far the best resource.

I thought about a detailed trip report, but I don't want to spoil the trip for anyone. I will mention a few things that I hope are helpful. As to photos, there are 2 reasons that I am not going to post: I am "photographically challenged"; and no matter how god the photos are, they just do not do the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley or Arches National Park, justice. Seeing each of them for the first time is an incredible, awe-inspiring experience that should not be diluted in any way.
At the Enchantment Resort (which definitely lives up to its name), the welcome dinner was great and the entertainment very appropriate. There are 2 restaurants at Enchantment, Che-Ah-Chi (which is the upscale/expensive) one and Tii Gavo (which is more family oriented). The guides reserved a block of times for dinner at each for the second night. The reservations use Disney characters. When my wife and I went to dinner at Che-Ah-Chi, our table was reserved under Buzz Lightyear! It was funny telling the hostess that we had reservations under that name.
Every Thursday afternoon at 4, there is a free wine-tasting at Che-Ah-Chi (which is where the breakfast is served). It fills up very quickly and, if you think you might want to attend (which definitely was worth it), you may want to reserve ahead of time. We called up when we got there on Wednesday, but they were already filled. We were "wait-listed", along with a few other couples. We were fortunate that some folks did no show up and we managed to get in.
At lunch on the 3rd day, before you watch the IMAX movie and get into the Grand Canyon, the pizza was really good. Even better was the fried ice cream.
At the Thunderbird Lodge in the Grand Canyon, there is 1 very nice restaurant (Il Tovar), where the breakfasts are served. They are wonderful. If you want to make dinner reservations to eat there, you should do so well in advance, since the only ones available when we got there, were around 9PM. They do have a "first-come- first served" patio that serves appetizers, wine and desserts. We did that, overlooking the Canyon. It was really relaxing and enjoyable.
When you get to lunch at Goulding's, on the way to Red Cliff's Lodge, try the Navajo Taco. It is enough for 2 people, which enables you to try something else and share. Hopefully, I have provided enough info to "whet" your appetite, without divulging too much that would dilute the excitement I know you will experience

Bronxboy, thanks so much for the detailed information!! I will make it a point to get a reservation for the wine tasting and dinner at El Tovar! (Have always wanted to stay at El Tovar – a tad disappointed that we will not be staying there. . . .)

To be honest, appetizers and wine on the patio at El Tovar sounds great! I may prefer that to a real dinner in the dining room. My husband and I often opt for apps and wine in lieu of dinner while on vacation and it is usually a great time.

If you think of anything else, please post! It will be greatly appreciated!

Bronxboy, thanks so much for the detailed information!! I will make it a point to get a reservation for the wine tasting and dinner at El Tovar! (Have always wanted to stay at El Tovar – a tad disappointed that we will not be staying there. . . .)

To be honest, appetizers and wine on the patio at El Tovar sounds great! I may prefer that to a real dinner in the dining room. My husband and I often opt for apps and wine in lieu of dinner while on vacation and it is usually a great time.

If you think of anything else, please post! It will be greatly appreciated!

You don't need reservations at El Tovar for lunch, so that is another alternative. We had lunch at El Tovar and dinner that evening at Bright Angel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter