Cowboy Cookout Barbeque - review

Cyrano

DIS Veteran
This counter service restaurant is located in Frontierland.
As it’s name suggests it is high in Western theming and the menu choice is similar to other counter service restaurants. Burgers, spare ribs and chicken included with the usual fayre.
Occasionally you’ll find a band playing in this large barn of a restaurant. If they are not to your liking you can take your food to the outside seating area.
In winter there is a welcoming centrally located open hearth fire.

This restaurant hosts the Tasty Cowboy Chow with Disney Characters which is a set-price three course counter service meal at lunch-time as from Spring 2011, also a Tea Party with Disney Characters at 5pm.

This restaurant is situated close to Thunder Mountain (my DD8's favorite ride) so we tend to grab a lunchtime meal here quite often.

It is a fast food type eatery and is a nice change from McDonalds. The menu is similar as they are Meal Deals (all called by different character names ie Pluto Menu) and are just the right portion size for a 'fill up' at lunchtime.

The band and fire create a warm, friendly feel, especially in the winter months but they are closed every Wednesday and Thursday in low season.

Good value for money in comparison to most DLPR venues. Queues are quite often long but the food is well cooked. Heres a picture of my DD8 with the band last December.

CowboyCookout.jpg
[/IMG]

Best burger on site :goodvibes

Here is the outdoor seating
ec5142d5.jpg

Inside at Christmas time
ec513e84.jpg

The seating at the fire :goodvibes
ec513e83.jpg

We really like it here and think it is one of the best counter service meals in the park. The queue's can be long but if you listen to people in the queue's you can learn things. I discovered that you can get a beer if you just order chips not a menu. It works out much cheaper if you are not hungry.
We usually have the roast chicken menu or the ribs and chicken menu.

This is one of my favourite counter services :love: . I can't go to DLP without having lunch at least once at the cowboy cookout bbq. And if you're lucky, you can see those guys playing and singing country music! They're really nice and funny :thumbsup2 !

imgp0893ym3.jpg

How was the food, atmosphere etc? Is it a buffet or counter service resturant?

Has anyone eaten here recently?

We always have at least one visit and this July (2008) was no different.
DS had the half chicken while the rest of us all had the bacon cheese burgers.
We had 3 chips to share which was perfect for the 5 of us.
Our bill makeup was
2 menu burgers @9.95 = €19.90 (burger, frites, vittel)
2 bacon/cheese burgers @5.95 = €11.90
1 frites = €2.75
1 demi poulet = €6.95
Dream AP = -€4.15
Total = €37.35

Counter service, but it does have some different items to the usual fare. You can get burgers, 1/2 chicken in bbq sauce, ribs, chili burger, potato wedges, and a combination box of ribs/chicken/wedges. Fries as well, kids' meals, drinks, ice cream etc.

The chicken is delicious - we ate here twice, once where I shared a chicken/fries menu with my daughter and once where we were both more hungry so she had a kids burger meal and I had the chicken/ribs combo. My husband had the burger meal both times. All the food was lovely. Oh, we also got a brownie with one of the meals and that was very tasty too!

The first time the band were playing in there, they were really good. Second time it had only just opened up (we hadn't had breakfast!) so no band. It wasn't particularly busy either time.

Is it open all year round, the last time we went in June a lot of the more "interesting" counter service places were closed were going the beginning of dec?

Dined in here on Sunday 5th Oct around 12.15pm and the food was superb!

I had the BBQ Chicken, fries and a hot chocolate and my mate had the Chili burger and fries and a tea. The portions were very generous and to be honest we could have shared the chicken and had 2 portions of fries instead!

The Band was playing and it was so nice and warm and food great it really added to the whole experience.

Will definitely be dining here again!!

it was open at the end of september. we met a couple from stockport the night before going here and went there based on their recommendation. their words to us were "great food, great value, crap service." very very true. took ages in the queue to get the food but it was fantastic.

Did anyone else get ducks sharing there meals in this restaurant?

About 7 waddled in when we were there and everyone was feeding them, no wonder they just strolled right in they get a daily feed here!! I thought it was quite comical. #

The food was great though, we only had burger meals but it was all hot and tasty

we ate here last week and sat outside, to the right of the door as you look at the place and we managed to meet Donald, Minnie, etc as the walk right past you once they've finished the show ... it was great. In addition to that I have to say the service was very good, my son had his burger plain and they double checked this throughout just to ensure they got the order right ... would definitely eat here again

This is Roys Fave place to eat! in fact its basically one of the reasons we visit disney so much! :rotfl2: We always have the same thing, an Assiette Texan - which is basically a piece of chicken, ribs and wedges and then we share a large coke, i think its about 23 euros for the lot which i think is really reasonable. Have to say we havent shared with ducks, although i did have a mouse sniffing round my foot one year... :scared1:
Here are some pictures:
DLPSept2007359.jpg

DLPSept2007360.jpg

DLPSept2007361.jpg

DLPSept2007362.jpg

DLPSept2007363.jpg

DLPSept2007369.jpg

we ate here in Septemeber and sat inside.

It was very nice with a folk band playing outside while we ate.

I hae the bacon burger while my gf, a veggie, had the omlette burger.

This is basically a freshly cooked omlette in a bun with salad in it.

She said it was very nice.

When we left Cowboy Goofy, Eeyore and Pluto were outside doing meet and greets in an informal manor.

Very enjoyable, and would eat here again

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter