Covid, face maks, social distancing, and canceling question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zooey72

Mouseketeer
My question is about paying off the vacation within the 30 day stretch before you go. We are going after Labor Day (Sept. 7-13). I have no issue doing that, but I want to know what the rules are going to be. I am aware nobody really knows much of anything right now. What I want to know is that on August 7 when it comes time for me to pay the thing off do you think it will be one of those "We don't know what the rules are, but we will let you know in a couple of weeks.

My issue is this. I will not go along with any kind of face mask, social distancing, not getting into the parks because of limited capacity etc. Disney as a company can do whatever they want, but I want to know if they are going to be able to tell me a month in advance, because the answer "We don't know" won't cut it for me and I will just cancel. I'd be willing to wait until they could tell me, but I don't want to pay for a vacation I don't want if they are going to do this whole covid paranoid nonsense.

If you are not willing to go with any of those listed safety measures in place, you should probably just cancel now. The odds of the park being open and not requiring those measures are pretty much 0. Hope that helps you make your decision.

My question is about paying off the vacation within the 30 day stretch before you go. We are going after Labor Day (Sept. 7-13). I have no issue doing that, but I want to know what the rules are going to be. I am aware nobody really knows much of anything right now. What I want to know is that on August 7 when it comes time for me to pay the thing off do you think it will be one of those "We don't know what the rules are, but we will let you know in a couple of weeks.

My issue is this. I will not go along with any kind of face mask, social distancing, not getting into the parks because of limited capacity etc. Disney as a company can do whatever they want, but I want to know if they are going to be able to tell me a month in advance, because the answer "We don't know" won't cut it for me and I will just cancel. I'd be willing to wait until they could tell me, but I don't want to pay for a vacation I don't want if they are going to do this whole covid paranoid nonsense.

Until further notice, the PIF date for packages is now 7 days prior to check-in, not 30 days. I would hope they would release details more than a week prior to your check-in date.

Then I think you should just cancel if things have not changed by the time you have to make your final payment. The truth is that they very well may not know on August 7th how things will look on Sept. 7. Face masks may not be required outside but they may expect you to wear one indoors. Social distancing may be constricted to 1meter, like in Shanghai, or it may remain at 6 feet like the current norm in the US.

No one says that you must go to Disney. You certainly don’t need to pay large sums of money to subject yourself to what you consider to be uncomfortable conditions.

Disney as a company can do whatever they want, but I want to know if they are going to be able to tell me a month in advance, because the answer "We don't know" won't cut it for me and I will just cancel. I'd be willing to wait until they could tell me, but I don't want to pay for a vacation I don't want if they are going to do this whole covid paranoid nonsense.

I would make two predictions and neither will help you.
  1. Except for one thing, they won't know for certain what specific social distancing and capacity rules will be required of guests until a week or two before they open. That's at the most and those determinations will still be in flux right up until that first rope drop. and...
  2. The one thing you can be certain of is that masks will be required of guests everywhere except when seated to eat for at least a few months.
They need to open under the most stringent safety protocols and hold that way long enough to establish a baseline of how much virus gets transmitted at their parks. Then they can relax something and see how much, if any, the transmissions tracked to their parks increase.

Also, they will not relax beyond the stricter safety rules until there is a statutory liability immunity in place; which I figure is coming soon.

If you really want to go, find a mask comfortable enough to wear. I have a few powered negative pressure filter masks that are no more of a burden than a standard N95 and keep fresh air against my face at all times. A company called Air+ makes a disposable powered negative pressure mask. I'm really surprised I haven't seen more in the way of powered positive pressure exhale filtering masks. I think if people had an option that kept fresh air against their faces instead of clammy cloth there'd be less complaint.

Just for the hell of it, I went to the Disney site and asked an agent in chat whether package final payments were still due in full 30 days before check in or for right now they were due 7 days before check in and this is what she said:
Can you tell me if the final payment due date on packages is still 30 days before check in or is it now 7 days before check in as I have read in a few places?

Anne
at 18:33, May 25:
The remaining balance is due 30 days prior to your arrival. You may pay at your own pace until that date or pay in full on the due date.

I anticipate we will learn more on Wednesday if, as has been reported, Disney gives an update to the Orange County Economic Recovery Task Force.

I do NOT expect Disney to announce in advance when measures like social distancing, masks, and closed attractions will end. At least not anything close to a month in advance.

I would expect social distancing to be in place longer than masks. I would also expect character meets to be one of the last things that go back to normal. So if that's important you I'd cancel at the 30 day mark if they haven't said anything.

PS if this is how you feel you probably should prepare to reschedule.

It won't hurt to wait until August, but if I do not get a definitive answer by than I am going to cancel. This mask thing is insane to me, because I can guarantee you that more people will have medical problems from walking around with that thing on during the summer than will ever have issues with Covid. I am betting once there is a spike in heat exhaustion and heat stroke they will stop this stupidity.

The CEO said that they won't reopen anything until it is profitable. There are ways they can make it profitable at the expense of the guests. As in "Sure, stay at our resorts - but sorry the parks have hit 50% capacity so you have to spend your vacation in your room".

I hesitate to cancel yet because my Disney rewards start to expire next year and I want to use them. I have no interest in going during the 50th because of the crowds, so this is it. We can still use the points for airfare someplace else, but my granddaughter has never gone and I wanted her to have the experience.

I live in South Louisiana. I don’t know where you live but it’s already been 90 degrees with 85% humidity. I wear a mask to the grocery, the plant nursery, and everywhere else. It isn’t a hardship at all; you get used to it and if you get hot you duck into someplace with aircon. Drink some water just as you would in the heat/humidity as usual in Sept.

Our reservations are for August; if there is no Social Distancing, no capacity limits, and no masks then we will cancel. :-) So we will tit your tat and counter your outrage with our compliance!

Just for the hell of it, I went to the Disney site and asked an agent in chat whether package final payments were still due in full 30 days before check in or for right now they were due 7 days before check in and this is what she said:
Can you tell me if the final payment due date on packages is still 30 days before check in or is it now 7 days before check in as I have read in a few places?

Anne
at 18:33, May 25:
The remaining balance is due 30 days prior to your arrival. You may pay at your own pace until that date or pay in full on the due date.

Anne is misinformed. As published, by Disney, on the Disney Travel Agent site, "Effective March 15, 2020, until further notice, we’re making a temporary adjustment to our final payment policy for Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort packages booked through Walt Disney Travel Company. For existing bookings, final payment to WDTC will now be due 7 days prior to Guest arrival." This has never been revised nor retracted. Could it be revised prior to OP's trip? Sure, but as of now, this is the policy.

I live in South Louisiana. I don’t know where you live but it’s already been 90 degrees with 85% humidity. I wear a mask to the grocery, the plant nursery, and everywhere else. It isn’t a hardship at all; you get used to it and if you get hot you duck into someplace with aircon. Drink some water just as you would in the heat/humidity as usual in Sept.

Our reservations are for August; if there is no Social Distancing, no capacity limits, and no masks then we will cancel. :-) So we will tit your tat and counter your outrage with our compliance!

Totally agree! We are WDW regulars, we have been going for over 25 years. The last 10 years or so we’ve made 3 club level trips a year. I’m counting on a Disney to listen to the medical experts & make decisions based on on science. Not who complains the loudest.

Also, follow along with Shanghai Disney to see what they are doing as well as Universal, as I’m sure they are going to have similar rules pertaining to this.
I understand your concerns, but I would also say that Disney will not do anything that will put their CM’s and guests at risk.

I would also expect character meets to be one of the last things that go back to normal.
Et tu, Brute? Yeah, this one stings.

I understand your concerns, but I would also say that Disney will not do anything that will put their CM’s and guests at risk.
Especially with the union workers demanding these basic protections before coming back. I do hope they hold fast on this though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter