Covering an umbrella stroller in the rain?

Disneyhayes

DIS Veteran
Does anyone have any tips for covering an umbrella stroller in the rain? I was going to get the covers but thought I would check with my fellow DISrs to see if anyone had any suggestions?

I am going in September so maybe I won't need one if the showers are usually short?

We went back in May 2009. I thought the same thing - I don't need covers because the rain doesn't last long. Then the monsoon hit. lol It poured almost 24/7 the entire time that we were there.

We did find out that a large Disney shopping bag fits perfectly onto the seat of a stroller. The handle of the bag makes an excellent spot to slip the buckle straps through. The rest of the stroller was wet, but she was in a poncho, so that didn't matter much.

I guess that you could use a trash bag or something to cover it while you're on a ride? I'd probably just spring for the cover. It'll come in handy if it's raining and your child is in the stroller. We won't go without one again. You just never know.

My first vote would be a stroller cover. If not that then just use a ponch.

We use a cheap adult sized poncho from the $1 store. We slide the head opening over the handles and then drape it down. However a gust of wind can blow it up or off. On our last trip we didn't have any problems..DDs seat did get wet, but she didn't mind and we used a shopping bag for her to sit on.

Definitely go with the cover. We have used ours a number of times...it folds up nicely and fits into a bag that came w/ the stroller that is hooked onto the back. It has kept dd dry whilst we got a bit wet, even in our ponchos. We have used it other places besides Disney too.

I also use an adult poncho. I tie a knot in the head opening and push it down over the stroller with the canopy extended. We have a Maclaren Volo, which isn't a huge stroller, so it works OK for us.

On our last trip we used a stroller cover (Hurricane Ike 2008). It was easy to lift up so my DD could slip in or out then slide it back down over the stroller. She stayed very dry head to toe and her seat stayed dry also. She could see everything and there were plenty of vents to allow fresh air in (you wouldn't have that if you threw a poncho over it). Also, wind can blow the poncho off easier than it can blow off a cover made for the stroller.

We definitely use stroller covers, it is made to fit so I'm not fighting the wind. I think we paid around $12.00 for the ones we have 4 year ago and sill use them. I fold them up after they dry out and they re good for another go.

We went back in May 2009. I thought the same thing - I don't need covers because the rain doesn't last long. Then the monsoon hit. lol It poured almost 24/7 the entire time that we were there.

We did find out that a large Disney shopping bag fits perfectly onto the seat of a stroller. The handle of the bag makes an excellent spot to slip the buckle straps through. The rest of the stroller was wet, but she was in a poncho, so that didn't matter much.

I guess that you could use a trash bag or something to cover it while you're on a ride? I'd probably just spring for the cover. It'll come in handy if it's raining and your child is in the stroller. We won't go without one again. You just never know.

We were there- it was bad. Going the same time this year.
What worked for me(I left my cover home) I used the cheap $1 ponchos and used rubber bands to keep it tight and from blowing off(thankfully I had a lot for my hair) and tied arm holes. The kids spent a week in a plastic bubble of the stroller. I only one day couldnt keep with the the winds and driving rain so I had to blow dry the seat that night:eek:
I have my rain cover packed this time.

Another reason our Maclaren was worth every penny. Came with a great stroller cover that keeps DS dry as can be!

spend the money on the stroller cover. they are made for strollers and most are clear so kids can see out. they also cover kids feet.

Get the stroller cover. Keep it in the package so you can return it after your trip if you never need it. If you do need it, you won't be able to get one there.

Ponchos blow into the kids in the stroller, don't cover their feet, they can't see out well, you can't see in well... I would spring for the cover. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't amount to much money for your trip. It is still cheaper than renting ;)

Another vote for the stroller rain cover! Our APs just expired so we've done several trips in the past year - we decided to leave the stroller cover at home for that first trip and didn't leave home without it again! There was a huge difference between using the cover and trying to cover it with something else.

I'd go the stroller cover route, but I've read how people have used ponchos or shower curtains to cover them. Just make sure you have something to hold the cover down since rain sometimes brings wind. I imagine close pins or clamps would work.

I have done both and agree with pp's that the real stroller cover is worth the $. It fits better, keeps everything dryer, its easier to use and much easier for the child to get in/out. It is also much more comfortable for the child with air vents and because the child can see out!

We used to use an adult sized poncho, but a gust of wind could blow it off. Then I bought a stroller cover and it was worth the expense. Our experience in September has been that it rains almost every day. While the showers may be brief (15-20 minutes) they can be very heavy. We've also had an occasional all-day rain.

The positives of September: it's value season, it's warm enough to swim every day, at any time of day, and the parks aren't too crowded. September is one of our favorite months! :goodvibes

When our daughter wasn't in the stroller we always have used extra large lawn and leaf trash bags. It's a perfect fit. We just cover the stroller everytime we leave it to go on a ride or into a restaurant and clip the bag to the stoller with plastic clothes pins or wire chip clip type things. The bag has saved us many times! You never know when those storms will pop up and it easy to find your stoller when you come back out. It's cheap and packs easily!

When our daughter was in the stoller we just had her wear a poncho and then kept the bags over the handles and she has even used it to make a temp. umbrella (held it up over her head).

We were there- it was bad. Going the same time this year.
What worked for me(I left my cover home) I used the cheap $1 ponchos and used rubber bands to keep it tight and from blowing off(thankfully I had a lot for my hair) and tied arm holes. The kids spent a week in a plastic bubble of the stroller. I only one day couldnt keep with the the winds and driving rain so I had to blow dry the seat that night:eek:
I have my rain cover packed this time.

Was there the same week in 2009 too, I think the water was up to our ankles in spots in Epcot. Going again the same time this year and packed a cover. Keeping my fingers crossed:)

they don't make a specific cover for our First Years Jet Stroller so I think I might try out a few for coverage but I do think I will go for the actual cover!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter