Cove Cafe is supposed to be adults only...

Sounds like you would fit in with my friends and I. All 5 of us are taking a cruise on the fantasy in early February. I'm sure we will talk about all sorts of things kids probably shouldn't here as say a few cruise words. 2 are current CMs and I am a former CM. We keep it very Disney when in the kids areas or public areas but in the adults area we will not cencor our selfs when we chat as friends between the 5 of us.

Shockingly that doesn't go for just us. The entertainment CMs are allowed to use the adults only areas on their off days. We saw several in the hot tub on our last 7 day cruise. While they weren't specifically talking about things that might ruin the magic for kids some kids may realize that's "Aladdin" or "Princess Elsa" and here a few colorful words out of their mouths as well.

I bet I would like hanging with you guys! Believe it or not, I was a CM myself at DRC for a couple of months.

I so much agree!:thumbsup2

I grew up in the 60s, when a lot of parents entertained, and hosted adult dinner parties. It was understood and RESPECTED that children were not invited. (I remember sleeping over @ grandparents homes.) I so much 'get it' now. My parents wanted to enjoy their time with friends without having to worry about kids hearing adult conversation.

:thumbsup2

Most kids on all our trips pass by or sometimes briefly stop to take or return an item from/to the parents and leave. I've seen some try to linger and their parents took them out on their own. Also, and to be fully clear, there's nothing more noisy than "quiet" Cove pool. It's actually much quieter by the Aqualab, at least in the Fantasy, than it is in the Cove pool area, specially during day-at-sea. Anyway, my point still stands. If you are annoyed by the presence of kids (even in designated adult areas), you are choosing the wrong cruise line. As for asking people to go walk in a lower stateroom deck so they can get to Midship the pool is entirely unreasonable. There's a ton of staterooms in the forward area, there's the WDT, the shops, etc. It's a faulty design/decision to have the adults area there -- period. You can't blame parents and kids for walking through the adult area for a bad decision on DCL's end.

It is exactly
The same distance though if you are starting from any other deck that the deck that the pools are on.

I don't care about walking through or even dropping something off with mom or dad but linger and get in the pools and then your kids will start to get on my nerves.

Exactly! It's a copout to say that DCL isn't fun if the kids don't have the complete run of the ship and if you don't like kids don't cruise on DCL. There is a very small portion of each ship that is adults only, and DCL markets to the adult market with their advertising of those areas. When my kids are at their clubs, I want to be able to go some place where I don't have to listen to anyone else's kids either. I bet the same parents would be up in arms if DCL started letting all adults into the kids clubs during normal secured hours. Adults don't belong in those areas, just like kids don't belong in adult areas.

The adult-areas are an after-thought, simple as that. They are a second-class citizen, so to speak, under DCL's main draw of kid-friendly, family-friendly cruising. I don't know why is this concept so hard to understand. If you want respite from kids altogether, drop your kids at their respective clubs and either stay inside your stateroom or go to Deck 12 bar/sunbathe area where I've only seen a kid quickly pass by maybe once or twice in all of our voyages.

The adult-areas are an after-thought, simple as that. They are a second-class citizen, so to speak, under DCL's main draw of kid-friendly, family-friendly cruising. I don't know why is this concept so hard to understand. If you want respite from kids altogether, drop your kids at their respective clubs and either stay inside your stateroom or go to Deck 12 bar/sunbathe area where I've only seen a kid quickly pass by maybe once or twice in all of our voyages.

The issue there is deck 11 (Quiet Cove pool, etc) is adult only. Take the stairs up to deck 12 there, it's not adult only (the area across from Currants bar, with the stage). Satellite Falls (on deck 13, forward) is adult only.

Kids are welcome in 90% of the ship. The concept that there are areas that are off limits to them is the simplest one out there. It's the adults, not the kids, paying to be onboard. The money and time put into the design of those areas is definitely not an "after-thought"...not to mention the money spent on their marketing campaign touting the adult-only areas. It is the sense of entitlement some kids are being raised with that is even making this an issue -- the parents who are afraid to tell their kids no. Ten cruises and not once have my kids not had fun because we didn't allow them into an area where they were not allowed.

The adult areas are definitely not an afterthought. The Cove area on the Dream-class ships are perfectly situated if you ask me. The fact that the forward elevators requires some guests to walk through this area to get to the main pool deck doesn't bother me at all and doesn't read as a design flaw. (Most guest rooms are not forward anyhow. The forward elevators are actually "quite" forward on the ship. Most guests, for some reason, tend to favor the mid-ship elevators.)

I like that the Quiet Cove is actually "cove-like" and I don't think you could get that feature any other way than designed.

The one design that bothers me somewhat, is that the aft elevators come up to Deck 11 in the middle of Cabanas. I do concede that the designers were maximizing space while keeping the "classic" design of the Dream-class ships. If you look at most new (mass market) cruisliners, the aft sections is almost vertical and not "as" tapered as the Disney ships.

Maybe I'm just an old fart at 42yo, but I believe there is a difference between an adult conversation and an R-rated conversation. My impression of people who are engaged in an R-rated conversation in a public place, whether it be an adults-oriented place or a family place, is that they aren't being very adult.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Please see:

Hmm, I talk about sex, drugs, drinking, offensive internet memes, weird things I see in public, creepy people who creep on me or my friends, basically just all sorts of things that no children under 14 or so should be hearing. Plus I tend to curse quite a bit when I'm only speaking to my boyfriend or my friends. :smokin:

Of course when I know children are around, I avoid such topics and clean up my language. But adults-orientated places are havens for such things. If other adults don't like it, I'm sure they can either stop listening in on my conversations, or mosey on down to the family areas. :thumbsup2

If you're definition of "being adult" in terms of conversation is talking about office jobs and how your kids are doing in school, then I definitely never act like an adult.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Because if they enforce every rule to the T, DCL wouldn't be half-as-fun for the families as it currently is. If the kids aren't being disruptive, they will never ask them to leave, specially if they are just "passing by". Same when I hear people complaining of all the kids passing by "quiet" cove pool. Well, I'm truly sorry to inform you that DCL designed that pool in the Dream-class boats right in the way from the forward elevators and where all the family fun takes place (pool, aquaduck, Cabanas, etc.). It's simple, really. If you do can't handle kids around, you should not travel in DCL.

Passing by, I have no issue with. Since we only sail concierge, we understand DCL placed the forward elevators in a bad spot in relation to the adult area. If they are just walking through, I have no problem with it. If they hang out in the pool, hot tub, Cove Cafe, I'm going to flag down a CM and point it out.

I will admit to chair saving at times. I get ipveRly, have a latte from the Cove, leave stuff on a chair and go to work out for 30 to 45 minutes.

I will admit to chair saving at times. I get ipveRly, have a latte from the Cove, leave stuff on a chair and go to work out for 30 to 45 minutes.

But one problem with the magic and wonder is the relative smallness of the adult area and the fact that one side is practically unusable because it's the smoking section.

The issue there is deck 11 (Quiet Cove pool, etc) is adult only. Take the stairs up to deck 12 there, it's not adult only (the area across from Currants bar, with the stage). Satellite Falls (on deck 13, forward) is adult only.

The interesting part, though, as I've said, in spite of not being adult only, there are far less kid traffic on Deck 12 than there is in Deck 11 and there's an obvious reason, as I've explained.

Passing by, I have no issue with. Since we only sail concierge, we understand DCL placed the forward elevators in a bad spot in relation to the adult area. If they are just walking through, I have no problem with it. If they hang out in the pool, hot tub, Cove Cafe, I'm going to flag down a CM and point it out.

Exactly. This is the correct way of handling this. Not sure what the big fuss about this is about. If it really bothers you, have a CM shove them along. No need to either internalize it and get flustered or start making assumptions about other parents =)

Kids walking through the quiet cove hasn't been included in the discussion from most of the posters on this thread regarding kids not belonging in adult areas.

But one problem with the magic and wonder is the relative smallness of the adult area and the fact that one side is practically unusable because it's the smoking section.

The weird part though is the pool area seems bigger, we definately love the pool, as we swim mini laps when nobody else is in the pool to work off all that food lol. There might be less seeting, but then there are half the people on the ship, I would guess that the ratio of chairs to guests is higher on the classics, but I might be wrong.

I agree with the OP and feel the kids need to stay out of the adult area only sections of the ship. If they showed up for dinner with their cute little dinner outfits, they would be asked to leave. That's the appeal of DCL and the adult only areas. We are half empty-nesters and look forward to having no kids on future cruises. We will enjoy the adult only area since we started in the children only pool area with our little ones, then graduated to the family pool and now we are on the brink of adults only!!!!

So, we are experiencing 'Top Dog' syndrome and look forward and deserve to enjoy adult only areas without screaming, tired, milk shake drinking kiddos!! We've paid our dues and we plan to cruise ONLY DCL and not other cruise lines because of the level of service.

Now, we just left a 9 night cruise in the Med this past July and we have a grandson that I want to take on DCL some day and was checking out the new kiddie pool. We also stopped by to see the renovated kids' club and they WOULD NOT let us in since we didn't have a registered child. We could have taken the 'tour' the day of arriving on the ship, but I wasn't thinking of it then. I respect that. I just wanted to see Andy's room, but was told no. Soooo, all kids heading to adult only areas with their parents need to tell their parents they ARE NOT allowed!!

I'm siding with OP as we have also enforced the 'wait til you are of the appropriate age to enjoy the adult only stuff like Quiet Cove Cafe' and they have been patient. I have gotten them a drink from there and delivered it to them in their OWN area!!

I agree with the OP and feel the kids need to stay out of the adult area only sections of the ship. If they showed up for dinner with their cute little dinner outfits, they would be asked to leave. That's the appeal of DCL and the adult only areas. We are half empty-nesters and look forward to having no kids on future cruises. We will enjoy the adult only area since we started in the children only pool area with our little ones, then graduated to the family pool and now we are on the brink of adults only!!!!

So, we are experiencing 'Top Dog' syndrome and look forward and deserve to enjoy adult only areas without screaming, tired, milk shake drinking kiddos!! We've paid our dues and we plan to cruise ONLY DCL and not other cruise lines because of the level of service.

Now, we just left a 9 night cruise in the Med this past July and we have a grandson that I want to take on DCL some day and was checking out the new kiddie pool. We also stopped by to see the renovated kids' club and they WOULD NOT let us in since we didn't have a registered child. We could have taken the 'tour' the day of arriving on the ship, but I wasn't thinking of it then. I respect that. I just wanted to see Andy's room, but was told no. Soooo, all kids heading to adult only areas with their parents need to tell their parents they ARE NOT allowed!!

I'm siding with OP as we have also enforced the 'wait til you are of the appropriate age to enjoy the adult only stuff like Quiet Cove Cafe' and they have been patient. I have gotten them a drink from there and delivered it to them in their OWN area!!

We feel like "we have paid our dues too"...If Ships advertise "adult areas" they should be just that, ADULT! These comments about "why would adults with no kids" want to go on a Disney Cruise are ridiculous..."Maybe we like DCL"!:cheer:At Disney Aulani ,we LOVED the adult pool and hot tub! We witnessed CM's asking non adults to leave. Loved the fact that CM's enforced the rules!:) We enjoyed relaxing with "peace and quiet" with our adult sons.

Never heard of a "half empty nester" but that is cute!:thumbsup2:rotfl:

Looking forward to another cruise sometime in the future and won't hesitate to bring it to a CM's attention if children are "hanging" in the adult area!

It was inactive for a few weeks, then resurfaced again.

This is one of the retread threads that appear every so often along with smoking and mdr attire. They do provide some fun debate though because you usually see different players in each of the threads:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter