Cove Cafe is supposed to be adults only...

I must wonder if it's policy that the CM isn't allowed to say anything until someone complains? After the family left, I would have gone up and politely asked why the kids were allowed in the kid-free area. If it's some stupid policy they have to follow, then complain to someone "higher up". Telling someone off will probably just set them off on a tantrum.:crazy2:

Not so. Our last cruise, I was in the Quiet Cove pool and a mom and her young son got in. Immediately, the bartender waved down a passing CM who came over and told them the child could not stay and they left. A half an hour later, a whole family got in. The bar was busy and no CMs where in sight so I ignored them, until the kids started doing cannon balls. I told the parents it was an adult only area and they were under the impression it was OK because they, the parents, were there. I told them no, so they left and went in the hot tub! Then a CM came by and told them that was not good either.

We research a lot too. The KSF sailings were last minute promos to fill the ship and trust me, I was not excited about it when they were announced. The Wonder should not have 1100+ kids onboard...

That really isn't a high number for the classic ships. Our first cruise was early December on the Magic and at the kid farewell show they said there were 1200 kids just between the ages of 3 and 12, so not counting kids in the nursery or the teen club [at the time there was only the Vibe 13-18]. Every other cruise when the kids were in that age range had similar numbers or higher on the classics. We were surprised because it never seemed like there were that many kids around. We only started going to the adult areas a few cruises ago though, so I don't know what the enforcement was like. Even at 3 & 5 on our first cruise, the kids learned that they walk quickly & quietly through the adult pool area and there are places kids just don't belong onboard.

Also, many families choose to cruise at non-peak times due to the reduced fares and do not have an issue taking their kids out of school at all, so definitely not a holiday time. We did this until DS was 13 and in 7th grade. He had a lot of work to keep up with and asked that we please not vacation during school again. Spring break has even proven to be difficult with assignments being given over the break. He is in an advanced HS though based at a college so started taking college classes freshman year.

Not so. Our last cruise, I was in the Quiet Cove pool and a mom and her young son got in. Immediately, the bartender waved down a passing CM who came over and told them the child could not stay and they left. A half an hour later, a whole family got in. The bar was busy and no CMs where in sight so I ignored them, until the kids started doing cannon balls. I told the parents it was an adult only area and they were under the impression it was OK because they, the parents, were there. I told them no, so they left and went in the hot tub! Then a CM came by and told them that was not good either.

They definitely sound like buttmunches.

These are probably the same people that think it is ok to cut in line (at stores, picking up their kids from school, etc..). This adult only cruise problem transfers into everyday life and people that think rules don't apply to them. Or it is the same parents that let their kids scream in a restaurant. You really can't get away from it... even on a Disney cruise. Sad really :sad2:

I saw a lot of this on my last cruise - there were several kids at the bar and a few in the hot tub multiple times throughout the cruise. Cast members enforced the rules during the day, but they seemed to ignore them at night. This was consistent at the adult pool and the club areas. We went to The District on the first night and there were several kids. Weird.

Yes this area is kind of a fail on the dream where the elevators let out right by the cove cafe & adult pool....too bad they did not anticipate that....we had no kids in the cove cafe during our visits there but several kids sneaking a jump in the pool

Yes this area is kind of a fail on the dream where the elevators let out right by the cove cafe & adult pool....too bad they did not anticipate that....we had no kids in the cove cafe during our visits there but several kids sneaking a jump in the pool dde03 who were nicely asked to leave...anyone else have this happen to them ? We were having a nice cocktail at meridian enjoying the moonlight before reservations at Remy & a teen from the goofy golf a deck above (guessing?) leaved over & chatted for a bit...lol!

Kids kept trying to get into the hot tub at night. The family hot tub was frequently closed, so I guess that may have been a factor.

The pool areas on the Dream are too small. I think part of the spill over problem is that the kids really don't have room to play in the Mickey and Donald pool, so they go over to the adult section, which is never as cramped. I also noticed a lot of big kids sneaking into the Nemo area - a girl that was probably at least ten nearly trampled my 13 month old playing tag with another girl.

There was a kid in Fathoms on the Magic last week at 10.30pm. No one said anything. It wasn't a 17-could-pass-for-21 kid, he must have been nine or ten. Disney should really enforce their policies.

I'm not allowed in the children or teen only areas, so children and teens shouldn't be allowed in the adult only area! It's only fair. Besides, as an adult, I'm paying for my cruise... At the end of the day, if no adults cruised on Disney, Disney wouldn't have any money. And the vast majority of adults, even those with kids, cherish and protect their "grown up time".

As for teens... You have your own Smoothie/coffee bars in your own clubs! And you can visit the Vista or the Promenade Lounge. Just wait a few more years to go to Cove Cafe - it will make it much more special. And it's the fair thing to do.

Besides, maybe this doesn't apply to everyone, but my topics of conversation are usually very R Rated or at least PG-13 - definitely not suitable for young children! So while I would definitely speak to a CM or to the parent of the child... I'd probably just turn my topic of conversation to something rather adult and raise my voice a bit first. I like to avoid outright confrontation when possible :thumbsup2

Besides, maybe this doesn't apply to everyone, but my topics of conversation are usually very R Rated or at least PG-13 - definitely not suitable for young children! So while I would definitely speak to a CM or to the parent of the child... I'd probably just turn my topic of conversation to something rather adult and raise my voice a bit first. I like to avoid outright confrontation when possible :thumbsup2

Ha! This is the main reason I am looking forward to the bars in the adult section this trip. I am traveling with 2 other families and it will be nice to have a place where we don't have to worry about little ears.

If an adult is offended by adult conversation, they can always leave.

Unfortunately there will always be parents and certainly children that believe they do not have to follow any rules, or that some particular rule does not apply to them. If a family came through the Quiet Cove (QC) area and didn't linger -- passing through -- I would not even bat an eyelash.

Overall, I have traveled 4 times with just my adult friends on the Dream and Fantasy and even though you have a couple of "incursions" they are really nothing to get too worried about.

To tell you the truth, I think that after 11PM, the entire deck 11 (on Dream-class ships) is one wild party of unattended children running, jumping and acting crazy. I speculate as to this because on our 7-Night Fantasy cruise, that's all I heard in staterooms 10578 and 10580 (out two CAT 4A staterooms)

We have been on numerous DCL cruises at different times Sept.-May. For the past several cruises, we have noticed more and more kids running around without any kind of parental (adult) supervision. Running up and down the deck, knocking into you, stepping on your toes, and touching everything when they try to get some frozen yogurt, because they are too small to reach, and again no adult to help them. We are 2 middle aged adults, and have had kids charging out of elevators and saying things to us because we didn't get out of their way quickly enough. I am talking about kids probably under 12 or so. I guess some parents think that since the kids are on a ship, they don't have to watch them and expect the cast members to "do their job". The parents probably have no idea how these kids are acting-or they don't care if they do. To be honest, it has been a couple of years since we last cruised, and maybe it isn't quite so bad now. Parents would bring their kids -usually 6 and under-into the adult pool. I very rarely saw a cast member, and I have no problem saying something to the parents, but I would either get ignored by the adult, or get cussed out by them.
I have read many of the comments as to whose responsibility it is to say something to the parents/kids about staying out of the adult areas. I personally think it is both the parents and the cast members responsibility to monitor and control the situation. Too many parents these days seem to want everyone else to raise/teach their kids, but when people try, it's...how dare you.....You can disagree with me if you want, but when you go on a cruise or anywhere new--don't wait for someone to find you and tell you everything you need to know. It is YOUR responsibility as much and more than the CM's to make the effort to read the papers located in every room. It is YOUR responsibility to look at doors and make sure it is okay for you to be in that area. It is wrong if you are teaching your kids that rules don't apply to you or them. Be proactive in teaching your kids. It is a lot different now than when I was a child, but I like to think I was actually RAISED, and taught right from wrong, and that it applied to "all the time", not just when I wanted it.
Now, I am sure I may have angered some people/parents on here, but remember I am speaking generally-I don't know your kids. But I think I could pick out several entitled people who think this would never apply to them.

We have been on numerous DCL cruises at different times Sept.-May. For the past several cruises, we have noticed more and more kids running around without any kind of parental (adult) supervision. Running up and down the deck, knocking into you, stepping on your toes, and touching everything when they try to get some frozen yogurt, because they are too small to reach, and again no adult to help them. We are 2 middle aged adults, and have had kids charging out of elevators and saying things to us because we didn't get out of their way quickly enough. I am talking about kids probably under 12 or so. I guess some parents think that since the kids are on a ship, they don't have to watch them and expect the cast members to "do their job". The parents probably have no idea how these kids are acting-or they don't care if they do. To be honest, it has been a couple of years since we last cruised, and maybe it isn't quite so bad now. Parents would bring their kids -usually 6 and under-into the adult pool. I very rarely saw a cast member, and I have no problem saying something to the parents, but I would either get ignored by the adult, or get cussed out by them. I have read many of the comments as to whose responsibility it is to say something to the parents/kids about staying out of the adult areas. I personally think it is both the parents and the cast members responsibility to monitor and control the situation. Too many parents these days seem to want everyone else to raise/teach their kids, but when people try, it's...how dare you.....You can disagree with me if you want, but when you go on a cruise or anywhere new--don't wait for someone to find you and tell you everything you need to know. It is YOUR responsibility as much and more than the CM's to make the effort to read the papers located in every room. It is YOUR responsibility to look at doors and make sure it is okay for you to be in that area. It is wrong if you are teaching your kids that rules don't apply to you or them. Be proactive in teaching your kids. It is a lot different now than when I was a child, but I like to think I was actually RAISED, and taught right from wrong, and that it applied to "all the time", not just when I wanted it. Now, I am sure I may have angered some people/parents on here, but remember I am speaking generally-I don't know your kids. But I think I could pick out several entitled people who think this would never apply to them.

I'm with you there buddy, and I'm a parent of an 8 year old. I was really annoyed by how many kids were in the adult area on Fantasy. Also, there was a lot of general hooliganism. I guess it could have been worse though:(

As someone else mentioned, I think the swimming area on Fantasy is way too small for that many kids.

Too many parents these days seem to want everyone else to raise/teach their kids, but when people try, it's...how dare you.....

I bet you a million dollars that it's two sets of people. One set thinks that it takes a village. The OTHER set, who doesn't believe that, is the set that doesn't want people talking to their kids. Don't lump them together. It just confuses the mind.

It is a lot different now than when I was a child, but I like to think I was actually RAISED, and taught right from wrong, and that it applied to "all the time", not just when I wanted it.

But I bet in a different conversation you would talk about how you spent all sorts of time outside, away from parents, you could do all sorts of things on your own that kids these days can't....

And the fact is, many times those of us who were given such freedoms (seriously, what was wrong with parents in the 70s? did they just not care about us? HOW does one send kids outside from dawn to dusk in the summer and not wonder where or how they are? boggles my mind) (and my dad growing up in the 40s/50s, well his mom routinely full on drugged her 7 kids when she needed them to calm down, so that's not lovely) acted up just as you are describing. MANY of my friends were up to no good, and their parents had no clue. Some kids drinking the booze their parents so innocently left out. Others sneaking out. Others going places they weren't supposed to go. Shoplifting. etc Or the group of teens who went for a liquid lunch then went to "catch air" on a hill, and only one survived when a garbage truck came out from a side street while they were in the air... The parents of that group had NO idea what they were doing when they were on their own.

There's nothing different. It's just that back then cruises were SO expensive those kids couldn't go on them. (or their parents would just go, and leave the kids at home because they were so trustworthy...if the parents were lucky they came home to just a crashed car with no casualties...)

I was raised in the 60's and early 70's and my children, who are raising my grandchildren, look at this as a personal responsibility problem because that is not how they were raised. We have just had a discussion about restaurant behaviors with toddlers and the rights of others.

There are rules there for a reason, along with general courtesy, and I paid for my cruise just like everyone else and expect others to follow the rules. Period. Passive aggressive actions of "it is just one child" or "I did not see the sign" do not get it. Pay attention people.

Heading out on the Fantasy in a few weeks. We may move back to the Magic/Wonder if the "rules do not apply to me" class of entitlement crowd is overwhelming on the larger ships.

I can guarantee you my DW will be quite blunt if there is blatant stupidity by adults or out of control youth. It is not a matter of "you need to go to an adult ship line" either. We enjoy Disney service (parks, ships, etc.) and the kids. We go to multiple Disney properties every year and generally have no issues with kids but parents are another matter.

We raised our children at WDW and DVC. Taught them how to be respectful and courteous. Not to leave a mess for others to clean up after them (CM's do not need that crap). Be mindful of manners, especially around adults and remember this is a privilege and be thankful you are getting to experience it.

I fear this has more to do with a greater societal shift but hope it is just a bad perception of a minority of people who just do not think about others but only about themselves.

I was raised in the 60's and early 70's and my children, who are raising my grandchildren, look at this as a personal responsibility problem because that is not how they were raised. We have just had a discussion about restaurant behaviors with toddlers and the rights of others.

There are rules there for a reason, along with general courtesy, and I paid for my cruise just like everyone else and expect others to follow the rules. Period. Passive aggressive actions of "it is just one child" or "I did not see the sign" do not get it. Pay attention people.

Heading out on the Fantasy in a few weeks. We may move back to the Magic/Wonder if the "rules do not apply to me" class of entitlement crowd is overwhelming on the larger ships.

I can guarantee you my DW will be quite blunt if there is blatant stupidity by adults or out of control youth. It is not a matter of "you need to go to an adult ship line" either. We enjoy Disney service (parks, ships, etc.) and the kids. We go to multiple Disney properties every year and generally have no issues with kids but parents are another matter.

We raised our children at WDW and DVC. Taught them how to be respectful and courteous. Not to leave a mess for others to clean up after them (CM's do not need that crap). Be mindful of manners, especially around adults and remember this is a privilege and be thankful you are getting to experience it.

I fear this has more to do with a greater societal shift but hope it is just a bad perception of a minority of people who just do not think about others but only about themselves.

I grew up with very traditional parents who taught us to be respectful & how to behave. DH & I have 2 children ages 3 & 7. Although they know how to have fun, they are well behaved & treat others respectfully.

They know that rules are there for a reason and that we get upset when people don't follow the rules.

I agree that it seems there are parents out there that do not enforce rules and common courtesy onto their children. I actually see this on a regular basis with my friends' children. When their children misbehave or treat their other friends unfairly, I don't hesitate to speak up even when their parent(s) who are right in front of them don't. They may think I'm being strict or overreacting, but I feel everyone has boundaries.

We were just at a child's birthday party on Sunday and I had to put in their place two 7 year olds who were arguing (one of which was my daughter). Moments later I had to do it again with one of the same 7 year olds and the 4 year old birthday girl who were talking back VERY loudly to their mothers. Both didn't say anything initially to apologize. Honestly, I love these families, but I usually expect behavior drama from these two girls whenever we get together... it never fails!:confused3

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

We just returned off the Fantasy this week. During the cruise there was a few times my 15y/o wanted an iced coffee drink and went to the one above the atrium. Some times the machine was broke and she was directed to the Cove Cafe. She looks at least 18 so maybe that's why she was told but she had her Vibe card out to pay. I really had no idea it was adult only in the cafe. Lol. Either way every time I went in there I was the only one in there.

I believe it is shifting and not for the good. I grew up working in the family business, probably before I should have, but I was taught how to work and how to treat customers and people in general. Fast forward to now, my work ethic has me doing all I can to accomplish tasks for work, including working at home. The younger generation coming in does not have the same work ethic and the sense of entitlement is definitely there. It is sad to see, I am at least trying to instill in my daughter that she needs to earn what she has, and nothing is just given to her. Hope this shift doesn't continue, but with some of the stuff I see kids aren't allowed to learn it is ok to fail:(

The bright spot is while yes there are the out of control kids on the cruise, I have also run into many very courteous kids too and same with adults. You just hope that it balances out:) If nothing else I do my best to ignore it, so it doesn't ruin my cruise.

cgolf

Yes this is a constant issue. the crew members do not want to be confrontational. However, in the bars downstairs on the Fantasy I have been there when a couple brought in a baby in a stroller at 10 PM and the bartender said the baby couldn't be there. It's still my assertion that if the area is labeled 18 and over only, and the crew members are aware of that, they should not be serving milkshakes in that area to persons who are obviously under 18.

Hi I am 16 years old and I myself love to get my daily coffee, that doesn't suck, at the Cove Cafe. On all 16 of my DCL cruises, I have never been told to leave although I do feel slightly awkward on occasion because of people like you. The coffee at the drink station is very low grade and for people who love to enjoy a decent cup of coffee, the Cove Cafe is the only option. I do not go and hang out there with the intention to be loud, I just go in and go out. If your son was really so devastated about some kids buying some coffee then maybe he should get over himself. And the smoothies you are talking about most likely contain coffee as they are the frozen cappuccinos which are only available at the Cove Cafe. The first day aboard, Cove Cafe is actually open to everyone as I have verified with a CM. I am sure if there were teens being disrespectful of the quiet place, a CM would most definitely ask them to leave however they don't seem to really mind under 18's to enter. And lastly, you are on a very nice vacation, why don't you learn to enjoy yourself rather than work yourself up over some people bending rules to better their experience. thx xoxo BYe felicia

Nice, she's entitled to break the rules because that area has what she wants and the CMs don't do anything. So 18 and over is only a suggestion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter