• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Coupons an Embarassment?

I use a lot of coupons every time too. If it's not on sale, or I don't have a coupon, I rarely buy it. Why she felt too entitled to use coupons is beyond me. It would have made me mad too.

I would have made sure I drove by her real slowly in my big *** paid-for Lexus on my way out too....laughing all the way....

I'd be embarassed that I was such a royal *****! She can MYOB and I would have taken my sweet time handing over each coupon INVIDIVUALLY.

I am not ashamed of my coupons!

But I do try to be observant about those around me. If I have a ton of stuff and coupons and the person behind me only has a few things, I let them go in front of me as long as I'm not in a huge rush. If not, I smile sweetly ;) and warn the person that I will probably take a little longer because of my great coupons (or if I'm price-matching at Wal-mart). I try to have my coupons, credit card, rain checks, etc. ready.

Anyone who has a problem with me after all that can find another line!

PHXscuba

Was this at Walmart? I've had several "line altercations" with people at Walmart. From a lady telling me how inappropriate it was to just put a handbasket on the conveyor belt and not taking the 5 items out and putting them on the conveyor belt, to not putting the little plastic divider thingie up behind my stuff on the belt to divide my items from theirs, and so on. I've never had anyone say a word to me anywhere else than Walmart. I don't shop there anymore as I do a lot of couponing and some local grocery stores carry the brands I like so I shop there.

Anyways, coupon away! I love coupons. And I'm so jealous when someone has a lot of coupons! :) Although I do get frustrated behind a disorganized couponer (but I would never say anything). When the order is rung up and the cashier is waiting for the customer and he/she is going through every single coupon in their envelope. I get all mine out before getting in line or if there's a long line, while in line.

Why do people care if you use coupons or not? Especially enough to say something outloud like that. Crazy!

I agree with the others, I would feel stupid if I didn't use my coupons knowing I could have saved. Why pay full price if you dont have to?? I am a strict sale watcher on everything. I base my meals around sales. I feel no shame in that at all. I have a family to feed and if I can do it for a cheaper price I will.

Ignore bad attitudes. Too bad we cant spread pixie dust everywhere we go!

I applaud people on line who know how to shop. It should be embarrassing to pay more than you have to. Seriously, coupons indicate a smart shopper. There's a reason why our country is in a recession. People are living beyond their means. You (whether you need to or not) are being a responsible consumer. I think that if more people followed your lead we wouldn't be in such a mess.........just my two cents!!!! Bravo for saving 75% of your bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool1: If anyone cared to comment on my coupon use I would just tell them that they are welcome to pay my bills if they have extra money to throw away, if not they can keep their comments to themselves!

Too bad there isn't a coupon for tact and manners. That woman deserved one. It was uncalled for to make any comment, but one so obviously directed at you within earshot just demonstrates her lack of consideration.

Never let someone else's poor attitude get you down! I am a proud couponer...more often than not, my pile of coupons gets admiration from the cashier and others. I save money because I can and it feels great. Why pay more than you have to?

I once had an incident when a cashier couldn't get my coupon to work. She just put it aside. I asked her what she was doing and she said, "well, its only a dollar". And I told her to give me a two dollars out of her pocket then because the coupon was supposed to be doubled. She figured out a way to scan that coupon really quick!

One day when I was at the grocery store the woman in front of me paid less than $15 for a cart FULL of groceries.... I didn't know her but I said to her- "That just made my day!" and it did! I love to save money and I love to see other people save money too! Keep clipping those coupons!!

Wow, that was extremely rude! I like coupons & am trying to get better about matching them for more savings like you got today.

How does that woman know that you haven't been unemployed for 4 months, disabled husband, sick child, etc. and need to save every penny you've got to save your house, pay medical bills, whatever.... That was extremely insensitive of herself to judge like that!

Wow! Talk about being rude! She was probably just annoyed she had to wait 3 extra seconds for the coupons to be scanned. :rolleyes: You should not feel embarrassed at all. You should be proud of saving so much money! That woman was just ignorant, imho.

The very people who could really use the help of coupons don't use them sometimes because of some crazy sense of pride. i have a family member who I know id not well off - and when we recently went out to a fairly expensive restaurant and used a coupon, which I brought for her to use since she demanded to treat me to the dinner, she seemed really embarrassed about it! I had to give it to the server! Oh well- I dont care- people had better give me coupons, lol!

I use coupons although not as much as I used to. With all my kids an hectic life, I am lucky enough to remember to food shop sometimes;)

This is a true coupon story. One afternoon a few years back my DH and I went to a matinee showing of The Green Mile. Of course I had some coupons for snacks and my DH just was rolling his eyes because he was"embarassed". Well this couple in fron of us at the snack counter were dressed to the nines, she in a full length mink. They ordered and were about to pay when the man says wait, I have a coupon for popcorn. The voice was familiar and I looked up to see it was Geraldo Rivera and his wife:lmao: My Dh has never been embarssed by a coupon again:thumbsup2

If I were in line with you, I would have told her that if I were HER I would be embarrassed for being so rude, and for wasting money. Then I would have high-fived you for saving 75%.

This happens a lot to me when I go to CVS. People will huff and puff and fidget, etc. Then when the cashier says, "That will be .15" their eyes open wide and they often say "Wow" or "How do you do that?".

People think you are "only" saving .15 and it can't be worth it to clip coupons. But when they can see how much of a savings it is, they often change their mind.

Keep on Couponing!!!! :teacher:

Maggie

Don't pay her any attention. I see nothing to be embarrassed about. I'm a SAHM, and figure that since I'm not actually earning money, my contribution to the household is to save as much as I can when I'm shopping for what we need. I was so excited last night when I went to the grocery store - before my coupons and instant rebates, the bill was $169; after everything was applied, it came to just under $40! I practically danced out of the store!

Well...about the comment about not needing coupons b/c you are so well off...

My dad and step mom now live in a $500,000 house, with no mortgage or car payments b/c he was so frugal when we were growing up. And he still uses coupons and takes his own trash (to save money).

I think many of those well off worked their tail off (including coupons and other saving methods) to be well off.

I'm proud when I save money cutting coupons! And when others do to!

wow, I would have replied back with how much money I saved!! Geesh, what rude people! She was just jealous!!!

Where does everyone get all of these awesome coupons? I can't seem to find anything worthwhile!

Too bad there isn't a coupon for tact and manners. That woman deserved one. It was uncalled for to make any comment, but one so obviously directed at you within earshot just demonstrates her lack of consideration.

Your entire post was spot on but I had to quote this part as I loved your opening comment! :lmao:

I think that lady is just deluded adn crabby. My mom used coupons and saved every penny. She then left each of her 8 kids well over a year's income in inheritance. AFTER living in assisted living for three years. She didn't NEED to use coupons but why the heck not? It's not like the manufacturer's print them and then sit around the board room saying "Gee, I hope no one uses those coupons."

surfergirl602, most of my coupons are just from Sundays paper. But I live in an area where I can get both the New York and Jersey papers, and they each have their own coupons. My local paper carries supermarket coupons on Wednesdays.

Walmart also publishes a magazine called All You that is full of coupons. They almost always have a Colgate coupon--I don't think I've paid for toothpaste in years! They also have some good cosmetic coupons, sometimes for free items.

Hope this helps, my coupon-sister!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter