Couple quick questions- first timer

EZBZOZ

Earning My Ears
My wife and I surprised our 8-year old yesterday on his bday with the news of our trip. He was very surprised and excited to go. We'll be in the parks on Friday 2/6 and Saturday 2/7. We know we can't see everything in 2 days and still determining where else to go other than MK.

I know I'm late to the party with the FPs and we'll get on that soon. We're a go with the flow kind of family and make the best of everything and don't like to overdo it on a vacation but know the importance of FPs to make the most of our short trip.

When I buy the tix online and choose to do will call, is it busy or a hassle if we go early to pick up the tickets at the tickets/transportation center? We're staying offsite so will drive and park.

Should we bring lanyards or do they provide those since we won't opt for the MBs? I guess we can always just keep the cards in our pockets as long as we're careful without losing them.

We're going to MK for sure on Friday. For Day 2, what would be your choice? My son isn't huge into real deal roller coasters but really enjoys the mid size and smaller ones. He likes all the themes at DHS but not sure if the rides would be too advanced for him. Many have told me AK would be their last choice and can be done in a 1/2 day. I know we can't go wrong and will have a wonderful time regardless.

Anything else you wish you know as a first timer?

Thanks.
EZ

We never did will call for tickets, but have had to go there to hand in Give a Day vouchers back in 2010. Waits then were not bad at all, and we had them for all four parks.

Lanyards, you can bring your own or purchase them there or just use your pockets, as you stated. Anything goes, but they do not provide them for free.

Really not sure what to recommend as your second park, being we have never gone and not done all 4 parks. We love them all. But I have seen people suggest sticking to one park and taking it all in rather than trying to rush through 2 parks and getting in what you could.

Will Call is usually pretty easy to get through as there are so many windows. Might take about 10 minutes, depending on the time of day.

You'd have to purchase your own lanyards if you wanted them, as the poster above me said.

As for the other park, IMO, Hollywood Studios is probably second next to MK for younger children. There are a lot of shows, Toy Story Mania, Star Wars and Disney Junior, plus Muppets and the Disney Animation building where you can meet characters and learn how to draw a certain character as well. :)

My almost 7 year old loves HS, but it's still not a open to close park for us. If I really wanted a FULL day, my family would go to Epcot (we'd probably pick Epcot over MK, honestly, but I know we're in the minority). We're big nerds so Epcot works for us - we love strolling around World Showcase.

If you're into animals, AK is nice, but it does close early so you wouldn't get a super full day.

I also don't think another day at MK would be a bad idea either.

Now that your son knows, maybe look online and see what he seems to gravitate to the most.

Last year I went to guest services at DTD and got my will call ticket so i was ready to go the next morning so you might consider that the evening before.

Thanks, guys. Yes, we plan on involving him in the planning so we'll see what he says too as we learn about each park online.

Didn't know we could pick up the tix at DTD. We might try that but our flight doesn't arrive until 5 or 530 and we're flying into TPA since tix were super cheap.

I don't know about doing MK both days. I guess we could but thought it would be better to see two parks. I'll have to think more about that. I don't mind not having a full day at AK the second day since we can just hang out at DTD the second night. Or of course I could get the hopper and go back to MK but not sure if I want to spend the money on that. I know it's just money and we may not be back.

I'll have to look more into DHS. I do think my son will enjoy it. My wife, who has been a while ago, says Epcot and MK. That could work too.

It's so helpful to learn from all of your experiences.

Couple more things:

We can bring food in, right? I'm thinking of bringing snacks to hold us over until lunch and more real meals.

I know we can bring in small sized backpacks, what do you do with them during the rides though?

Couple more things:

1. We can bring food in, right? I'm thinking of bringing snacks to hold us over until lunch and more real meals.

2. I know we can bring in small sized backpacks, what do you do with them during the rides though?

1. Yep, just no glass containers or alcohol.

2. You can bring them on the ride with you.

Thanks, guys. Yes, we plan on involving him in the planning so we'll see what he says too as we learn about each park online.

Didn't know we could pick up the tix at DTD. We might try that but our flight doesn't arrive until 5 or 530 and we're flying into TPA since tix were super cheap.

I don't know about doing MK both days. I guess we could but thought it would be better to see two parks. I'll have to think more about that. I don't mind not having a full day at AK the second day since we can just hang out at DTD the second night. Or of course I could get the hopper and go back to MK but not sure if I want to spend the money on that. I know it's just money and we may not be back.

I'll have to look more into DHS. I do think my son will enjoy it. My wife, who has been a while ago, says Epcot and MK. That could work too.

It's so helpful to learn from all of your experiences.

Couple more things:

We can bring food in, right? I'm thinking of bringing snacks to hold us over until lunch and more real meals.

I know we can bring in small sized backpacks, what do you do with them during the rides though?

You can bring in most foods, and you can take bags with you on rides.

I recommend MK and HS. If you do, MAKE SURE to take your son to Lights Motors Action. You and your son will love it. I'd recommend a FP for it to avoid waiting 30+ min in a crowded line and being able to get first dibs on seats. Indiana Jones is also a really good show as well. I loved watching it as a kid without even seeing the movies lol

I would probably recommend park hoppers for just one day. I'd use it on the second day and either see Epcot or AK as well. Probably Epcot as while Test Track and Soarin is fun, it's also very interesting walking around the world showcase and taking in the different cultures.

For a first-time, two day trip, I'd recommend both days at Magic Kingdom to allow a few re-rides, plenty of character interaction, parades, and shows. There will be more than enough to entertain you both days and will take some of the pressure off getting to everything you want to see.

My first trip as a kid was at age 8. We hadn't planned on two days, but ended up doing it because we all just enjoyed it so much.

I agree with 2 days in MK for a first time trip.

He would probably love doing the Sorceror's game throughout the park.

I'd do two days of MK or one Hollywood day.

I would not do AK or spend money on park hoppers.

Grapes and beef jerky were great snacks for us.

Get a silhouette done on Main Street for sure!

Good advice. I didn't even think about two days at MK. I guess that can make sense since there's so much to see. Now we have some thinking to do. I'll have to look more into HS.

id vote Mk and HS if you are not doing hoppers.

Get a silhouette done on Main Street for sure! (where is this and about what would be the price for three ppl?)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter