couple of VB questions

MonkeyPants

DIS Veteran
From out of state, what airport do you fly into?

Is there ME service to the resort? If not is there a shuttle you can take?

Is there more to do then chilln on the beach?

I was there in April. I flew into Palm Beach (PBI) simply because my Sister lives there and we were doing a girls weekend at VB. The distance from PBI and MCO to VB is about the same.

ME does not go there. I'm not sure of shuttle service either. Personally, I would rent a car so that I could explore and go out to different restaurant.

Aside from the beach, the pool is really nice. There is a mini-golf course around the pool. You can rent bikes on site. There kid's activities going on all during the day (arts & crafts, games, movies). They also have a sing along and marshmellow roast around the campfire.
Enjoy!

We flew into Orlando and rented a car. I think it's about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hour drive.

We spent time driving around the area, golfing, and enjoying the resort. The town of Vero Beach and surrounding areas are comprised of alot of retirees. There is a good outlet mall and a regular mall. Several neat little shopping areas. We made day trips to Jupiter Island, where there was a neat area on the beach with blow holes in the rocks and I got soaked! Great marine natural habitat area. Went up in the Jupiter Island lighthouse for a great view.

If you are looking for the pace of WDW, you may be disappointed. People go there for a more laid-back and relaxed experience.

goofy4dvc said:
If you are looking for the pace of WDW, you may be disappointed. People go there for a more laid-back and relaxed experience.

being a beach bum wouldnt bother me at all, not sure about those who might go with me tho. Kind of bummed to hear about the drive tho. bad enough to have to have a 2 hour flight but then to add on a 1.5-2 hour drive to the start and finish of a vacation kind of bites ;) I have endured much worse, but was hoping foe better news.

how is the water in may?

We were there one year during the last of April first of May timeframe. Water was warmer than I expected. A couple of days though, the red warning sign was out, I think due to shark potential. Other days, there were quite a few people surfing, swimming, and wading.

The drive from Orlando really was not all that bad. Some airlines fly into Melbourne. But it's about 10-15 minutes from the resort into the town of VB.

VB Resort rents out water floats, chairs, umbrellas. But if you are going to be there for a while, it might be cheaper to buy stuff from Walmart.

There's a really good thread that circulated on here a couple of years ago about things to do in VB. I don't know how to do a search, but maybe someone can post a link to it for you.

goofy4dvc said:
The drive from Orlando really was not all that bad. Some airlines fly into Melbourne. But it's about 10-15 minutes from the resort into the town of VB.

Delta is the only major carrier at MLB. If it would work for your location and schedule then it would be a fine choice. I think I even saw an ad for shuttle service to DVBR.

unfortunately looking at where I am coming from, a flight to MCO and the drive will be quicker...well things can change, maybe flights will get added. Wont be next May at the earlilest before I go anyway, but thanks for the info.
popcorn.gif

We're flying from Central Illinois on Air Tran. They had some decent prices if you book on their website. airtran.com :surfweb:

We will go into MCO and are renting a mini-van for the drive & stay at VB. :car: :drive:

VB is not my favorite vacation club resort. The beach is mediocre and the surf can be mean - I was body surfing and got thrown up on the beach pretty hard - people came running to see if I was OK.

You can rent bikes and go for long rides along the river - very flat and some beautiful huge homes. As mentioned, there are a couple of malls - about a 20 minute drive. The restaurants on premises are disappointing and expensive. We generally eat in town (20 minute drive). The pool is very nice and walking along the beach is nice - I like looking at the beach homes.

You are pretty close to the space center so that is a nice day trip and one of the orange producers is nearby.

TeensMom said:
VB is not my favorite vacation club resort. The beach is mediocre and the surf can be mean - I was body surfing and got thrown up on the beach pretty hard - people came running to see if I was OK.

You can rent bikes and go for long rides along the river - very flat and some beautiful huge homes. As mentioned, there are a couple of malls - about a 20 minute drive. The restaurants on premises are disappointing and expensive. We generally eat in town (20 minute drive). The pool is very nice and walking along the beach is nice - I like looking at the beach homes.

You are pretty close to the space center so that is a nice day trip and one of the orange producers is nearby.

I'd say your opinion puts you in the minority. Please tell us about another beach resort in Florida that offers as much as VB. We would all like to know.

I can tell you this, I am a well traveled guy and the Disney's VB is about as good as it gets for a family beach trip. Expensive food? Sorry but you haven't traveled much if you can say that with a straight face. $6.00 for a burger and fries? I've paid $20 in Hawaii and the Bahamas. I've paid $15 in Fort Lauderdale. $15 for a dinner at Shutters? I've paid $38 for similiar quality food at other resorts.

VB is a gem in every sense of the word. The beach is nice with realy clear blue water. Kind of like being in the Carribean. Sorry to disagree.

Dave

Maybe I've eaten there on their "bad" days. We usually eat cereal/fruit in the room for breakfast, no lunch and then want a nice dinner. Last trip daughter and I paid >$50 for 2 dinners (no alcohol) that were inedible. We are not really particular eaters, this was just badly prepared - over cooked, over seasoned. I asked if there was a problem in the kitchen and the waitress was not receptive. No, I didn't ask for the manager - we just went into town the rest of the time we were there. I do like the Sunday brunches.

I guess I just prefer the beach and amenities at Hilton Head.

We liked VB enough to buy points there after our first visit!

Our next trip will be from a cruise (in March), so only the ride from Port Canaveral and then WDW afterward. We enjoyed going to the Harborbranch Oceanographic Instititue during one of our stays at VB. Very interesting place to learn about the ocean and not far away. There's a nature center that's very close, with a boardwalk over swampy places and with very good exhibits. Merritt Island National Wildlife area is a place that interests me, haven't gone there yet. We've had great beach days in May, and that's the turtle egg laying season, so you may have some interest in signing up for turtle walks.

We have done the long bike ride on the Historic Jungle trail each time we've been. DH is not a beach lover, but he loves this resort. We didn't have any VB points and so this year we went to Marriott's Hutchinson Island resort, now this was nice, but each of us missed VB a lot!

Bobbi :goodvibes

TeensMom said:

You addressed my question about VB. How rough is the surf / beach? Have there been any cases of people getting pulled out into the ocean by the undercurrents? I've never seen a photo where the surf was calm.

Sure there are days when the surf is calm. I have seen plenty of them. I've also seen the days when the surf is churning.

IMO, the beach is the best it's ever beeen. The storms really made it larger.

Yes, there have been undercurrents. A man died last week trying to rescue children caught in the ripcurrent. I believe the news said that signs were posted saying it was not safe to swim that day. You'll be fine if you follow the flag system at Wabasso beach-just North of the resort.

We love Vero, we always spent more time there than at WDW when we vacationed here while living in Michigan. We just never seemed to run out of things to do.

We still take trips over to the gulf side but VB is about as full service as it comes.

My parents fly into Melbourne on Delta because they don't want to make the drive from MCO to Vero. They take the Melbourne Airport Shuttle from the airport to the resort and back.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter