Couple of Quick Questions

mrwinky

Mouseketeer
We are down to 8 days before we leave.... And a couple of questions

1. We didn't want to lose a day to shopping so we decided to go to Cabazon outlets on the day we get in. We land at 12:00, I figure we will be on the road by 2, and at the mall by 3:30 or so. Does that sound right? Should I call the Hojo to let them know we have a late check in? ( wont be at the hotel till 11ish)

2. Rain??? Grr all of sudden long term shows Rain from Thursday to sunday :( We have citypasses and planned on doing the following

Wed (fly in and shop)
Thur DL
Friday Universal Studios
Sat DL
Sun DL
Monday SeaWorld
Tuesday DL
Wed DL
Thur Fly home

I cant remember if Rain effects certain rides in DL? Or Universal studios at all?

IF you got any tips that would be great

Thanks Winky

If it rains hard enough, all outdoor DL attractions will eventually close. Coasters first, also Alice & Teacups, then Dumbo & Astro Orbiters. Tom Sawyer's Island usually closes, and the treehouse. IASW & Storybookland stay open unless it's a sustained downpour, but honestly, it's pretty miserable to sit outside in a boat and get rained on. The seats get wet pretty quickly. Good indoor attractions are Indy, POTC, Haunted Mansion. FL dark rides and most of TL stay open. But personally, my park of choice in the rain is DCA.

I've never been to Universal in the rain. But aren't the tram ride and Jurassic Park the only 2 that are outdoors? Their website says they actually give rain checks, though it doesn't say you can get one with a CityPass.

http://www.universalstudioshollywood.com/faqs/park-info/
5. Is the Theme Park still open when it is raining?
Yes, Universal Studios Hollywood is open on those rare Southern California days that include rain.

But if it does rain, don’t worry, we’ve got you covered with the world’s first-ever theme park guaranteed rain check:

Guests using any 1-day ticket to visit Universal Studios Hollywood on a day when the park receives over 1/8″ of rainfall by 2:00 p.m. can request their rain check at the Guest Relations office on the same day before park closure. Rain checks are good for a free return visit any time within the following 30 days!

And to ensure a full day of fun on rainy days, most of our outdoor shows plus your favorite strolling characters are moved to indoor locations within the theme park. We also serve complimentary coffee and hot chocolate, and have indoor dining venues to keep you warm and dry.

We’re looking forward to entertaining you, rain or shine!

* The free return tickets may not be transferred or resold

I think if you know for sure it will rain heavily one day, or more likely to rain on a certain day, that would be a good day to do Universal.

Well it would be better then the snow we have in Canada right now!!! I don't really have an issue with it, I've just had enough with water recently, since the flooding we experienced this summer... We were hoping for sun all week :)

I'll add to the rain info for DLR. If it's a sustained rain (or even fairly periodic rain), some of the restaurants are also affected. Big thunder BBQ will not be running in the rain. Carnations and the Wine Country Trattoria will be running at a reduced capacity (they will not be using their outside seating). For the Trattoria, this means they're pretty much only accepting folks with reservation (I don't know about Carnations).

As the PP said, it's pretty miserable to be on the rides (especially the ones with outside portions) in the rain. Note that even the rides that are indoor often have queues with little to no covering. For example, HM is completely indoors for the ride, but almost all of the queue is outside. For DCA, RSR is also affected if it's a downpour pour. I don't know about misting or drizzle.

Mr. Winky, I'll also be there the 14th-17th of November, so I've also been looking at the long-term forecasts. Weather underground is currently forecasting clear on Thursday the 14th (that's as far out as their forecast goes) so I'm hoping that rain isn't a foregone conclusion! fingers crossed.

Mr. Winky, just in case you're monitoring this thread I wanted to flag that it appears that the weather projections for your stay (and mine) are looking up! No projected rain now from weather underground, weather.com or accuweather. Still a long ways out and could absolutely change, but keeping my fingers crossed.

We actually prefer rainy DL days. Dd(13) hopes for it, so we can throw our ponchos on and ride all the rides without lines! Obviously, not everyone feels that way. But, we do!! We choose to look at it like a bonus, crowd control opportunity :).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter