Countdown Calendar using Mickey head paint samples..

Not to be the wet blanket, but wouldnt this be abusing the system or maybe even stealing by taking 20 plus paint samples that are used to compare colors when thinking of buying paint. I myself have grabbed 1 or 2 for my daughters in the past and not justify that taking a few is even ok but dont think I could ever take 20 plus free samples of anything. BTW all of the countdown calendars do look great.

First, Candleonthewater I love the photo in your signature!

Second back in the day when Disney dollars were alive and well we had a countdown calendar that had things for my sons to do to earn Disney dollars. For instance, read (skim!) the Birnbaum book and write down 3 things you want to do in EPCOT or get the bathing suits you want to take and put them in your suitcase or figure out one restaurant that you want to go to. We counted down the last 30 days, so basically they were able to earn about 25 Disney dollars (not every day had something for them to do).

Hope my idea sparks something similar for those of your with older kids. :thumbsup2

hi there! I made my first calendar just this week with the paint samples - I used the whole samples and did not cut the heads out. Under each paint sample I put a picture of something that we'll be seeing/doing while down in Disney. Since this is my kids first trip I wanted to familiarize the kids with one of the stuff we'll be seeing down there. So each day when we pull off a chip we'll be able to talk about that particular ride/place/show that is in the picture!

So here is what it looks like now, with all of the pictures covered:
DSC00615.jpg
DSC00617.jpg

And as we start pulling them off:
DSC00614.jpg
DSC00618.jpg

And with all of the paint chips pulled off:
DSC00611.jpg

I also printed out the numbers using the Disney font and just punched them out using a circle punch and stuck them on the paint chips.

This is such a wonderful idea for someone's first trip with kids.

Here is ours. Nothing fancy since our 2 year old doesn't need anything fancier!

009.jpg

010-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

Our DD loves that her door is covered with Mickey, and I have to admit, when our trip is over, i will be sad to see the Mickey heads be gone!

These are adorable! I'm going to make a count down tonight. What a great way to get a Disney fix! :mickeyjum

We just made our countdown calendar tonight. We don't leave until Nov. 28 so we don't get to use it for a while.

I'm not crafty at all and this was the first thing I've ever made. I used Home Depot paint chips (no way was I going to cut out those Mickey heads!), double sided tape, and printed out the title. My son put on some stickers. I labeled the Mickey's with small numbers so my son can use stickers to cover them up as we count down. I thought that would look nicer than tearing off the Mickey heads.

100_0719.jpg

100_0720.jpg

100_0721.jpg

100_0723.jpg

Not to be the wet blanket, but wouldnt this be abusing the system or maybe even stealing by taking 20 plus paint samples that are used to compare colors when thinking of buying paint. I myself have grabbed 1 or 2 for my daughters in the past and not justify that taking a few is even ok but dont think I could ever take 20 plus free samples of anything. BTW all of the countdown calendars do look great.

20?? LOL I took around 78-80! :lmao: I'm guessing the store would have been happy with just 20. Seriously though I don't feel bad at all. Yes, they are meant for paint samples obviously but they put them out there for the public and they ARE Mickey heads, or at least 1 out of every 4 colors is so they HAVE to know people are going to take them just because they're cute.

Can someone tell me if the mickey heads peel off the paint sample card like a sticker? Or do they have to be cut out? I've read mixed statements about how they come off the cards. :confused3

They don't peel off very well. It makes the mickey curve up (it's really thin). If I just wanted the Mickey head I'd cut it out.

First, Candleonthewater I love the photo in your signature!

Second back in the day when Disney dollars were alive and well we had a countdown calendar that had things for my sons to do to earn Disney dollars. For instance, read (skim!) the Birnbaum book and write down 3 things you want to do in EPCOT or get the bathing suits you want to take and put them in your suitcase or figure out one restaurant that you want to go to. We counted down the last 30 days, so basically they were able to earn about 25 Disney dollars (not every day had something for them to do).

Hope my idea sparks something similar for those of your with older kids. :thumbsup2

This is a great idea! :)
Thanks for sharing - I will certainly be utilising it. I'm just in the process of making Mickey head countdowns for 30 days for me 2 kids (12 & 4) to do, I think I'll pop some of the things to do on the backs...my 4 yr old DD loves helping and likes to pack her own stuff and my (nearly) 12yr old DS is always asking for things to do to earn extra spending money!
Thank you for the inspiration.

I tried to do this for our recent trip. Our home depot doesn't stock the paint samples anymore...something about people using them for crafts :rotfl:

I tried to do this for our recent trip. Our home depot doesn't stock the paint samples anymore...something about people using them for crafts :rotfl:

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Guilty as charged. I even mailed a bunch to a nice DISer in Scotland. I can just see Home Depot scratching their head over this one, when none of the paint sells!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter