Coumadin Diet

SlightlyGoofy

<font color=green>I shall be forced to take you on
I am at my wits end. After being severely overweight my entire life I finally found a food plan that works for me, a variation of the South Beach diet, and have lost about 130 pounds.

Now I have been diagnosed with A Fib and am taking Coumadin. I also have acid reflux, very badly.

I have been told to avoid chocolate, cheese, alcohol and spicy foods for my reflux. Alcohol is easy, chocolate is not.

Now they say that I should not eat green veggies and such because of the Coumadin. The doctor suggests that I eat no carbs, which I already do not.

I just read where I need to cut out yogurt and bananas.

What is there left to eat? Anyone have the same problem and come up with a solution other than eating chicken breasts for every meal?

I want to live but I also want to enjoy doing so without gaining my weight back and would love to lose some more.

Thank you for any help.

Slightly Goofy

Have you considered going to a chiro? Mine has helped a lot of folks with reflux/heartburn.

It's definitely not easy especially being on coumadin. My dh could not wait til he was off it. He callled it his poison. Luckly he was only on it temporary after his quadruple bypass. We had to get it checked at least twice a week which was a pain.

Be careful with the green vegetables too.

My dh eats chicken, turkey and fish (flounder, talapia, salmon) 99% of the time now. Oatmeal everyday. He really does not have much choice. You will get used to it.

Good luck and don't give up or get discouraged.

Anna, I eat lean meat and can live with that but finding side dishes is nearly impossible. Funny thing that there are many dessert type things I can legally have but I am not much of one for sweets, unless it is a Mickey bar! :cool1: Yikes, your husband is used to eating like that and is happy? I love food, if not for that fact I might not be in this fix. :(

puppymom, chiro's can do much for many folks but not with this particular problem. Hopefully next week or so they will know if there is anything they CAN do since they have determined that it is not my heart causing the problems. Most folks mistake a heart attack for heartburn, leave it to me to have it backward. :lmao:

SG

Now they say that I should not eat green veggies and such because of the Coumadin.

As a hospital pharmacist, what we teach patients on Coumadin is that the consistency of the leafy green vegetables needs to remain CONSTANT. You do not have to avoid ALL green vegetables. If your INR was stabilized while you were eating your normal diet containing green vegetables and then stopped eating the green vegetables, then your INR will go up! (not what you want). I hope I am making sense to you. Please ask any questions you may have....CindyD

Hi Cindy

I have two computers and your message was on the one I use the least so it got lost a bit.

I understand what you are saying but I live in the Boonies and do not get to shop more than once a week and greens do not keep well.

My heart doctor told me to go back to my old way of eating and see how the blood tests come out.

I appreciate your professional advice. It is hard trying to lose these last 50 pounds when I have had to cut out so many of my favorite and healthy foods.

Slightly Goofy

My grandfather (95) is on Coumadin (the blood thinner, right? Or am I getting names mixed up?) and he eats salads still. He's also on other meds (hey, at 95 with a pacemaker, legally blind, have trouble walking, what do you expect?! LOL!). I don't know all the details, but have seen him eating salads many times and he's been on Coumadin for many years.

I think the Coumadin is what causes all the bruises, moreso than a normal person would get for bumps and such, so be careful. :)

The chocolate part for your reflux is the most devestating part. :( SOOOOO sorry to hear that!! Maybe you can find some type of chocolate (i.e. milk or white chocolate or a certain brand/type) or amount of chocolate that doesn't give you reflux, though?

Ms Butterfly, you are correct on both counts. Chocolate is bad for acid reflux and your grandad's bruising is caused by the Coumadin.

I eat chocolate sparingly because of the calories anyway and always early in the day.

I am not one who can cheat on a diet. One single goldfish can lead to a gain. Life is not fair. :rotfl:

I am looking forward to a pork chop at the county fair today. I will toss the bread and all will be fine.

SG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter