Couldn't wait... Told the kids!

scooffer

Mouseketeer
Just wanted to share... We were not going to tell our boys about this trip and were planning on a morning we leave surprise. But, I was just not feeling excited about the trip, DH was not either. So we told the kids on FRIDAY, 20 days before we leave. We used one of the family vacation videos on you tube, and a video of wilderness lodge pool. It took them a while... But when they figured it out, their reaction was priceless! All weekend we have been planning what they want to do. I have changed several ADRs based on what they want. Gave up 1900 Park, exchanged for Akershus...DS just has to meet Snow White! Cancelled pirate league, neither wants it, and changed up some days. So, for us, I am so,glad we told them... It's been so fun to see them so excited! :banana:

Just kidding. We always tell. It's so fun being excited together. Stretch that magic out in both directions!

I give you credit for waiting that long to tell them, I usually tell my kids as soon as I know that we are going. Have. Fun!

I'm glad it worked out for you!

I've kept our secret for 367 days. We are down to the wire and every single day I want to tell, but I have not done it yet! Crossing my fingers that I'm able to hold out. I keep telling myself that if I tell now, I will have to deal with a huge can of worms. My oldest son doesn't handle waiting very well. Him knowing, would be misery.

:woohoo: Go you!!!!

We are surprising our 4 year old with a trip this coming September. She's been before, but she knew about that trip. She's at the age that if we talk about Disney, she just assumes that were talking and if I mention the trip, she thinks were talking about last year, so it's been pretty easy. I've kind of talked to her about things she'd like to do if we ever went back again to get a good idea of what dining I should book and so on.

In a way, I think that things worked out in your favor. A surprise is great and it's still a nice surprise even if it's 20 days away. Heck, if someone told me that I was going to Disney in any amount of days or months I would be ecstatic, so I can only imagine your kids reaction to just having to wait a number of days. You got the best of both worlds...your kids are excited and you were able to still pull off the surprise and have enough time to allow time for their input in the planning.

Telling the kids has been great! We have been able to plan together, pack together ( no more stories about why they have to try on their shorts when there is still snow on the ground... They were not happy with " because there is a huge sale at kohls'"). Plus now they can help with the tie dye Mickey shirts, and the boys are excited about watching Cinderella tonight!

12 more days!

scooffer said:
Telling the kids has been great! We have been able to plan together, pack together ( no more stories about why they have to try on their shorts when there is still snow on the ground... They were not happy with " because there is a huge sale at kohls'"). Plus now they can help with the tie dye Mickey shirts, and the boys are excited about watching Cinderella tonight!

12 more days!

If you don't mind my asking, how old are your boys? My 3 year old is completely obsessed with cinderella, and I love hearing that your boys love the princesses too, I thought mine was the only one! Congrats on your fun planning and well timed surprise!

When my niece was 4, almost 5, we told her the week before we were leaving (although the trip was booked months before). It was fun because it gave her time to get excited before we left and have a mini-countdown, but not so far out that she drove us all crazy wanting to know how much longer.

Good for you!! We told our kids right away when we booked (DD 9 & DS 8). I wanted their input on where to make ADR's & which water park they wanted to go to, etc. They love looking online at the parks and restaurants and helping me decide on what looks fun for them. For us, the planning and anticipation is half the fun!! They've made a countdown chain now and the Easter Bunny is bringing pin lanyards and autograph books in their baskets!

DisneyRegulars said:
If you don't mind my asking, how old are your boys? My 3 year old is completely obsessed with cinderella, and I love hearing that your boys love the princesses too, I thought mine was the only one! Congrats on your fun planning and well timed surprise!

Hi, my boys are 4 and 6... The older one loves pirates, stitch and Mickey... The younger one is all about Minnie Mouse and the princesses, and has been since he went his first time at 2 1/2. His first year at 2 1/2 we asked him to leave his beloved panda in the car at the MK... He reluctantly agreed. Just after rope drop, after we went to see Mickey and Minnie, he had a break down over panda. My DH and I were trying to make a plan for him to back to TC and get panda and where we would meet him, when a CM came up and asked if he could help. We told him about panda and our plans to split up and get him from the car. He asked us to follow him and he would help. (We were thinking a golf cart ride or something to the car... Nope, he came back and led my little guy to the gift shop and to.d him to pick anything he wanted, he was even offering the giant Mickey to him. Nothing sparked his interest, all they were showing him was Mickey, Pluto, Donlad, Goofy. As soon as I picked up Minnie, he had a grin ear to ear!!! As did my DH and I! That was also the moment when my DH fell in love with WDW!,

Long story, but I love to tell it, anyway, this will be the first year he will actually meet a princess, he always loved to just stand and watch them, but this year I think he really want stat red lipstick kiss from Snow White!

Have a great vacation. We surprised the children with a surprise the night before we were leaving. (they were about 5 years older than your children). It wasn't there first trip but afterwards said that they would have preferred some , a few weeks notice, to prepare. Your choice of timing seems perfect to build up the anticipation. Enjoy.

scooffer said:
Hi, my boys are 4 and 6... The older one loves pirates, stitch and Mickey... The younger one is all about Minnie Mouse and the princesses, and has been since he went his first time at 2 1/2. His first year at 2 1/2 we asked him to leave his beloved panda in the car at the MK... He reluctantly agreed. Just after rope drop, after we went to see Mickey and Minnie, he had a break down over panda. My DH and I were trying to make a plan for him to back to TC and get panda and where we would meet him, when a CM came up and asked if he could help. We told him about panda and our plans to split up and get him from the car. He asked us to follow him and he would help. (We were thinking a golf cart ride or something to the car... Nope, he came back and led my little guy to the gift shop and to.d him to pick anything he wanted, he was even offering the giant Mickey to him. Nothing sparked his interest, all they were showing him was Mickey, Pluto, Donlad, Goofy. As soon as I picked up Minnie, he had a grin ear to ear!!! As did my DH and I! That was also the moment when my DH fell in love with WDW!,

Long story, but I love to tell it, anyway, this will be the first year he will actually meet a princess, he always loved to just stand and watch them, but this year I think he really want stat red lipstick kiss from Snow White!

Aw, such a cute story! We have let our son pick out an animal each of our trips, and so far he has chosen 3 Daisy Ducks, and 1 giant minnie mouse. We haven't met a princess yet, but maybe next trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter