Couldn't Remember a Mole Being There...

MIGrandma

Lives in the middle-of-the-mitten.
when I took a shower this morning, then when getting dressed I investigated further. It was not a mole. It was a tick! :scared1: And I have no idea where it came from. We go camping up north a lot, in the woods, and DH has had them on him from time to time as he likes to cut/maintain walking/quad trails in our woods and cuts downed trees for firewood, etc. But I haven't had one on me...until now. And we came home on Monday from up there, and I did laundry, but who knows where it came from, maybe even here (we live in the country, on a farm). Freaked me out when I realized it was definitely a tick, and it did bite but wasn't engorged in blood so hadn't been there long thankfully. And from looking at pictures it appears to me to be a dog tick and not a deer tick. I washed the spot where it bit (upper thigh) and will keep watch of it. I'm still kind of nervous about it though. :(

Anyone else have experience with tick bites?

Younger DD got one a few years back at church camp up north. We removed it, cleaned the area well and watched for any problems. Luckily she was fine. I hope you won't have any issues either. Creepy buggers.

Did you keep the tick, just in case?
Keep any eye on the spot. If anything happens, go to a doctor.

My advice would be not to worry about it. I've had more ticks than I can count -- being out in the field and using brush and tall grass for cover means ticks -- and never had any problem. If you're in an area where Lyme disease has been identified, keep an eye on the bite location, but do that anyhow. It can get infected -- but probably won't.

I had a deer tick in my back a year ago. Felt my back itching and when I looked in the mirror, I could see it, bloated. DH tried to get it out, but broke part of its head off in my back. I knew it was a deer tick by the size so we went to the emergency care center since I couldn't reach it, or I would have dug the head out myself. The Dr tried to pull it out with tweezers and told me she didn't want to hurt me. As I told her I have a pretty high tolerance for pain (childbirth twice with no meds and a couple of skin tags just cut off with scissors, lol) but she quit and said it would work its way out. She cleaned it and gave me a one time does of doxycycline as it's been shown to prevent lyme infections. Three months later, I had bloodwork done and no lyme. It's been one year as of last week and the spot finally quit itching about 2 months ago. That little trip to the emergency room cost us $250 out of pocket.

When I was pregnant with my DD I found one on my stomach :crazy2: I have no idea how it got there. We got it off and I believe I just kept on eye on it. Weird.

The one time I had one, it fell out of a tree onto my head. I was walking up to my apartment and I thought I felt something fall in my hair when I walked under a tree but didn't feel anything when I brushed my hand over my hair. later that evening I was combing my hair and found it. It was a regular old tick, not a deer tick. So I guess they can climb trees, LOL!

I HATE ticks. They're everywhere out here on Long Island. And the kids tend to get a few each summer.
The pediatrician has always told us to cleanse the area after removing the tick and to just watch the area for the "bullseye" rash and be aware of any flu-like symptoms for the next couple of months.

I had to go to the doctor this afternoon for my monthly ProTime (Coumadin level checked), so I had the tick in a prescription bottle inside a ziploc baggie and took it with me to ask them about it. Yup, it was a dog tick so not nearly as worried about it. I guess they can still give you bacteria/infection so they said to watch it and if a rash develops to let them know. I had been picking cherries the night before, and working in my garden, so probably got it from one of those.

Glad to hear it was a dog tick. I grew up in the Northast and want to move back to retire, but am scared to death of the tick situation up there. I know it's silly, but I do think about it.

I don't know much about it other then in the northeast, especially New Hampshire, I have had a couple of friends that developed Lyme disease from tick bites. It is a situation that can be easily fixed if caught early enough. It is not something that should be over looked as it can cause many serious problems especially in kids.

Ugghhhh......I had one stuck behind my ear last year:crazy2:
I've found them crawling on my arm and leg before they dug their grimmy body in me
I've also found them crawling on a couple places in my house.
We live by forest with lots of wildlife.
I hate hate hate hate ticks!!!!!!:crazy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter