• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Could you pay for DVC via credit card?

perdidobay

<font color=green>Will work for travel ;-)<br><fon
If it's possible to put your down payment on a credit card do you think they would accept credit card payment for the whole amount? What a way to get ff miles!!! (assuming of course that your credit line was suffient to cover the cost. Also ,how much is the closing costs on a DVC purchase? Is it So much $ per point? TIA
undefined

Yes you can, or at least could. We did this when we bought on impulse in 97. We put 20% down on our credit card and were told that we could have tried the hole thing.

Disney doesn't charge any closing costs other than the prorated dues which you will pay based on the day you made your down payment, not your closing date.

I put my whole purchase on a credit card - I bought directly from Disney. (I don't know about resales) Frequent flyer miles was why I did it that way. It gave me enough miles to put me over the top for 2 RT tickets to Europe in summer of 95. Then I used DVC points to stay a DLParis for a few days at the end of my trip.

DVC will accept Visa and Mastercard for dues payment. No closing costs are associated with a direct purchase, either.

We put a $2800 downpayment on one of our credit cards. That also gave us a credit towards our next vehicle. Then we paid it off when the bill came. :D

Don, DVC/VWL 2000

I got the money for DVC from several sources (mostly from a 401K loan) and I planned to just send a check for the entire amount. My guide (Bruce Ladd) gave me the idea of running it through a credit card with rewards. So I put it on my AOL Visa and ended up with almost 7 months free AOL (worth about $150). DVC even helped me out by spliting it into 2 months (1/2 right after I made the deposit, 1/2 a month later right before closing) so that I would not exceed my credit limit and it also allowed me to hold a CD longer and get more interest! :)

I know for a fact that they don't take American Express because we asked. We had the cash, but at the time it was our only reward card and so we wanted to see if we could snag some FF miles. So yes to Visa/MC...not to AMEX. Probably because AMEX charges so much more per charge to the retailer.

Laura

>>DVC will accept Visa and Mastercard for dues payment.<<

Correct. They also took my American Express card. But they won't accept the Disney Credit Card. :)

Dumbo

They did take my AMEX about 2 weeks ago for an addon. Member services, however would only take VISA or MC for my dues payment in January. I always charge to get as many reward points as possilble to help with travel.

Are they accepting Discovery Card yet?

Anyone know?

Past
DL multiple times
WDW offsite '92, Grosvenor '96, AS-Mu '98,
Disneyana Convention AS-Mu '00

Future
Disneyana Conv 2001 at GC
DIS Convention 2001 at Y&B
OKW and BWV New Years 2002

We purchased in September 2000 and put our entire DVC purchase on Amex. They even spilt the charge into two so I could pay for it in two billing cycles. Dues can't be put on Amex.

mickeysun.gif

We bought a 100 point add on in October, and we were able to put the whole thing on our Amex card... got lots of points for hotel stays doing that....

As noted various credit cards are accepted by Disney. I know there are certain advantages to using certain cards because of various incentives, frequent flier miles, etc. However, be cautious the interest rates are high and the interest is no longer tax deductable. I would think there are better sources of financing including a home equity, pension loans, etc. I would check all the alternatives. Each person financial circumstance is different. Good luck!

I'm sure most of the people that put the entire purchase on a credit card did so instead of paying cash as to take advantage of the incentives that they would get from the cc company. I really don't think anyone left the purchase on the card and payed the BIG interest.

Bummer. I know that we asked several times about using our AXEX card in Feb 99 and were told that they didn't accept AMEX at that time. I sure hope that we weren't lied to then. We would have gotten a bunch of FF miles.

Laura

You guys are the greatest! So much sharing of info
and never make anyone feel dumb for asking. I agree that it makes sense to only charge and then pay off to advoid those high interest charges. Thanks again...PB

We DID use our AM EX to pay the whole amount of our DVC to get the miles, I had to fight for it by calling American Express first and I told them that they weren't allowing me to pay for it using their card, DVC would take the AM EX for down payments but they wouldn't let me put the whole thing on my card, So when I called AM EX and asked how Disney could do this since AM EX is the credit card of WDW, they stepped in and took care of things, apparently in their contract Disney isn't allowed to do this, so I just had to do a 3 way call with MS and AM EX and it got done. The AM EX person asked MS how much the balance was and then they asked me if I was authorizing the amount to be charged on my card ($17,000+)o :eek: d

I noticed someone asked if you could use Discover Card yet and No one answered. Yes they Now take Discover.

vacclub01.gif

Smile Mickey Loves Ya!!!
Dis_banner2.GIF

A year ago, I charged my whole DVC purchase to my GM Mastercard. I then paid it off the following month. My rebate account towards my new GM vehicle next year took a good-sized jump and I have my DVC membership. Can't get any better than that.
:D :D

YES! We paid for our down payment w/AMEX and then the balance again w/AMEX, I was shocked when I found out I couldn't pay my dues with "The Official Card of WDW,AMEX" Go figure so I used my MC and got miles on another card. FF miles help me get to Disney World w/family of 5.

39 DAYS and counting!!!!

1979-1st Time WDW
1985-Disneyland
1993-Poly
1998-Off Site
1999-Dolphin
2000-OKW & Boardwalk
2001-Boardwalk

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter