Could you do a 1-2 week vacation with only 1 24 inch bag?

Can you travel light?

• Sure: who wants to lug around a bunch of bags when on vacation?

• No way: I'm not washing out any thing in the hotel sink!

• other: Well, because there has to be an other.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Absolutely.

As I said on the other thread I live out of 24 inch suitcase for 6-10 weeks at a time.

If I'm not including drink, snacks, souvenirs, etc, then I can. I had my clothes all in a big duffel, using those vacuum-type bags to make more room. If I hadn't had to take along business casual clothing for work, then all would've been in that one duffel bag.

Not unless I felt like doing laundry while I was on vacation - which I'm sure I wouldn't..;)

I know I don't. It's called a "VACATION" for a reason. :)

My roomie did do his laundry while we were at Disney.

We just went to WDW and packing for winter is so different than packing for summer. That said, I brought stuff I never wore. And, since we stayed DVC, we had our own washer/dryer. So yes, I could get by with a 24 inch for 7-10 days.

But that brings up another sore point with me. People were bringing such ridiculously large bags with them onto our flights. I was freaking out, thinking I'd have to check my carry-on, which wasn't very large, but had my leg splint in it (gee, didn't want that getting tossed around in baggage!) I wish airlines hadn't gone to the fee for bags thing.

Yes, our family travels with carry-on bags only. I used to be horrible about overpacking and not wearing half of the stuff I packed. By taking a carry-on only, it forces me to choose the things I will actually wear.

We never have to worry about lost luggage or bag fees. It's great. On Northwest, you are allowed one carry-on plus an additional smaller bag. I do the carry-on and my purse, but my husband is able to pack a lot in a smaller bag that he puts in front of his seat on the plane.

I could easily do that. I would so much rather do laundry while on vacation than lug around extra suitcases. I do laundry anyway on vacation as I don't like to pack dirty clothes in my suitcase to take home!

Remember too that if your trip includes somewhere like, oh, I don't know, hm, Paris, :) that too much luggage may severely hinder you (especially if taking any type of public transport)

Many metro stations have stairs only, barriers can be difficult to navigate, as can escalators. Trains have very limited space for luggage on the racks. Car boots are smaller. (I took a shared London cab from Paddington a few weeks ago - five strangers in the back and all our luggage on the front seat - that couldn't be done if any of us had more than a small carry on)

And hotel rooms in Europe (espcially Paris) can be much smaller than in America, so that the suitcases seem to take up all the space in your room. You may find yourself resenting those suitcases if you are doing more than just one stop on your trip.

....please, please pass on your secrets because I travel like I'm on Cleopatras barge.

Where is the tag fairy???

I second the rolling of items!! I once spent 2 months overseas (in a college dorm, so I was able to do laundry) and took only a carryon and one huge suitcase, and that's exactly how I did it.

When we drive to visit family in the summer, I absolutely overpack, but when we fly, we do try to do carryons for each (3) of us and only one large checked bag. (Though sometimes we have to break out the fold-up duffle coming back!)

Absolutely! I usually pack my two teenage boys clothes and mine in the same carry-on sized bag (and my huge purse, which doesn't count as a carryon on most airlines)! We each get 2 pairs of slacks/shorts, 2 shirts, pajamas, and undergarments. Most hotels (especially WDW) have laundry facilities available. Usually near the pool. So when we unwind at the end of the day, or the heat of midday, I just throw a load of clothes in the wash.

Yep. My best was 10 days for 5 people in two 22inch rolling bags and a backpack for bathroom stuff. Yes, I did laundry on vacation. I pack by theme - the kids had tops and bottoms that were totally interchangeable and all pieces color coordinated. We wore a pair of jeans and a lightweight jacket as those can fill a suitcase all by themselves. I did laundry, but two loads and we were back to fully clean clothes. They came home clean too - did the last loads the morning we checked out!

So some friends and I were talking about the increase fees the airlines are charging to check bags. Some one mentioned that a family of 4 does not need 4 bags for 2 weeks at wdw. :scared1:

I totally confess that I am a chronic over packer. I'm going to Paris for a week this early summer and I may need a bag for my shoes alone. LOL.
and in the spirit of full disclosure, I'm not the type that can take a pair of basic black pants and have 17 different outfits like they do in the magazine.

So, could you guys make it 1-2 weeks out of 1 suitcase?

If yes, please, please pass on your secrets because I travel like I'm on Cleopatras barge.

I haven't done it. But I greatly admire Rick Steves, the one who does the shows about European travel. He also has tours, and the people on his tours can only bring carryon bags. The bags he sells on his site are all good for carrying on planes to Europe (not Aus/NZ, though...and probably not on flights *within* Europe). He also requires that you be able to lift and carry the bags.

On his site (his name dot com) he has TONS of info, and I'm sure he has some links and tutorials to how to travel light. Number one rule...not so many shoes! :)

Yes ecp if I went to Europe I would be buying new things and mailing them back to myself.

I was going to suggest to OP that it may be an excuse to purchase a Longchamp le Pliage bag for a very reasonable price!

I was going to suggest to OP that it may be an excuse to purchase a Longchamp le Pliage bag for a very reasonable price!

Oh yeah, Bavaria like I need another excuse. LOL. I think my dh is already regretting letting me loose in Europe for a week with a credit card with my BF. I'm already planning a trip to your neck of the woods (Germany) for the holiday season (Dec'10). God alone knows how many bags I'll need for winter wear. It may be cheaper to forgo the luggage and shop there. :cool1:

Well I read that your husband was sending you to Paris with a credit card and your BF (BoyFriend) :eek:

The best time is during the department stores sales - usually just twice a year but they have recently started to have 'secret sales' at a few other times of the year. Longchamp bags for 30 Euros is possible. :yay:

Clothes and shoes are crazy expensive but accessories and bags are always a good value, even if the bags may be pricey, as the quality is so good. My favourite brands are Longchamp and JUMP, two French firms.

I've done it several times. Can't imagine traipsing around Europe with a suitcase.

My husband can, one small bag and hes done, Sometimes I even put some of my stuff in his bag, now as for me and the kids, I have to have plenty of clothes, and I try to take at least 2 outfits per day for the kids, they are always getting dirty of spill drinks/food on themselves. but we drive, flying costs way to much, if we had enough to fly Im sure we would still pack the way we do, we would just have to rent stroller and Pac N Play when we got there. I would much rather pack to much than have to go to the store and spend all are money on something I left out.

There are some trips I could probably do perfectly well out of a bag that size. But Europe?! For two weeks?! No way.

I did it in Sept for land/sea Disney vacation. (5 days at WDW, 3 day cruise). I will admit that I had to check a small duffle bag for the liquor and souvies on the way home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter