Could we all just collectively agree to SIT during Wishes?

I don't understand the big deal. If someone goes infront of me, I move to the right, or to the left, or somewhere else. Lets not act like its so extremely hard to find another spot to watch, 5 ft in another direction.

( then again I usually only go with 4 people tops)

Anyone who thinks sitting "just can't be done" has clearly not been to TDL. TDL is largely a much more enjoyable atmosphere due to the kinds of crowd control measures they implement compared to WDW.

Totally! We visited TDL and saw that everyone sits for parades, etc. it was great!!

I too would love to be able to sit and enjoy Wishes. Maybe they could make an area where you could do that. Oh that is right they did that twice now, once in the old Rose Garden area on the right side and another time when they made the fast pass + areas. DH and I were fortunate enough to enjoy both of these!

It is sad they are ending the FP+ areas. I thought they were a great feature!

I'd just appreciate if folks can be aware of their balloons for anyone sitting around their prior to them going to a spot in front or next to that could block. Friend not a happy camper with 2 balloon mishaps during MNSSHP last year and we were in our spot way before others who came up blocking our view.

Oh, yes. People are frequently vocal about fat people and how much space they take. They make snide and nasty comments, make pig noises, joke with others in their party, and chastise. All. The. Time. And the second seat on a plane isn't free nor discounted, it is full price. That's even if the only other people in your row are your spouse and your 5-year-old.
You should check airline policies many refund the second seat (southwest Alaska virgin) many will reseat you so you have an extra seat next to you as long as there is one. JetBlue even told us that their policy is if the person taking up more than one seat is sitting first they will move the other person or even deny them boarding. That almost happened to my husband on our way home from downy with our two young daughtees. Since there wasn't room for all of us in the next flight in three hours I would have had to go ahead to Newark airport at 11 at night and manage a double stroller two young girls and about eight pieces of luggage oh and out car was parked off site so I would have to wait for him in baggage claim or try to get that all to the van and then the car.
You know what you can't do on an airline buy the seat in front of you as your extra. Instead you have to go to first class or hope you can pay for the extra leg room seats. But we just pay the money we need so we can travel safely and comfortably.

I know many people who would not be able to sit without back support. Some of them can't even enjoy FotLK because of the seating. Selfishly, I would love it if everyone were to sit so I could be more comfortable, but I recognize the challenge that it would present for a lot of people.

Likewise lots of people can't stand ...

If my tall husband (who cannot help his height) wants to stand next to his six year old daughter to watch the fireworks that is his right. If he was there before you too bad. The fireworks are in the sky look up. We get the privilege of arriving early to parades and fireworks so we can find a spot and so he can stand so people know how tall he is. This is after a lifetime of buying extra legroom seats on planes, special inseam pants (ever try to buy a 40 inch inseam?) and bigger aka more expensive cars. How about the short people get there first so they can get the places they want and not complain about the dad trying to enjoy the fireworks with his daughter.
And if you don't think he would rather be a "normal" height you are severely mistaken. He is 6'7" and it's not by his choice.

Actually, its not his right. Its Disney world, its a private organization and on private property. You don't have the "right" to stand anywhere at Disney if Disney says you can't.

Mind you, I think he should be able to stand with his daughter if he wants, but he doesn't have a "right".

I too would love to be able to sit and enjoy Wishes. Maybe they could make an area where you could do that. Oh that is right they did that twice now, once in the old Rose Garden area on the right side and another time when they made the fast pass + areas. DH and I were fortunate enough to enjoy both of these!

It is sad they are ending the FP+ areas. I thought they were a great feature!

They made us stand for FP+ wishes ...

Seeing first hand the rubbish some guests just dump/drop on the floor whilst waiting for MSEP/CTM/Wishes (popcorn,spilt sodas, ice cream, half eaten turkey legs) I'd rather not sit on the floor.
It's very difficult for custodial to clean it with the number of bodies in the one area, the reduced lighting at night time and trying to get through the crowds.

It is indeed a safety issue, it would also be more difficult for guests in ecvs/wheelchairs to get through if everyone was sitting.

No one would tell the fat people to move out of the way because they take up too much room, even as a joke. But it perfectly okay to joke (and I don't think it was truly a joke) about a attribute that someone has zero control over. Do you know what it's like to have people roll their eyes at you and hope that you don't sit in front of them at a movie or on a plane?to have to get to places very early to make sure you get a seat on the aisle so you can fit your legs? To pay extra for seats on planes that fit you (but overweight people usually can get a second seat free or at a reduced rate).
It's the double standard.

It's preposterous really. "I hate the tall people at wishes" is ok but "I hate when a fatty sits next to me" is "mean". Personally the fat flowing over the seat next to you is far more "invasive", in all cases of height it's related to genetics and nothing can be done about it, that's not always the case when it comes to weight.

When will we ever be able to be decent, respectful people? My bet? Never.

Actually, we sat at DL during the 50th Anniversary Fireworks. It was packed but they didn't seem worried about safety sitting vs standing. :confused3 It was nice certain areas in front of the castle were seated and the further back you could stand. This works for those who can't sit while accommodating those who would like to sit.:cloud9: We also sat this last summer for the 60th on one side of the castle where we could see the Matterhorn. So it is possible.

Anyone who thinks sitting "just can't be done" has clearly not been to TDL. TDL is largely a much more enjoyable atmosphere due to the kinds of crowd control measures they implement compared to WDW.

Yes, but it probably has more to do with the fact that most guests are Japanese than the crowd control measures. Japanese culture is very driven by social order and respect for systems.

Totally! We visited TDL and saw that everyone sits for parades, etc. it was great!!

Compared to the Japanese, Americans are a lot more individualistic and defiant of authority. (Mind you, I actually appreciate our qualities, but it makes it harder to "control" a crowd.) As a CM in Disneyland (CA), I observed that most guests did follow the rules, but Americans were far more likely to be questioning and defiant about them... and Japanese tourists were almost never defiant. When keeping a clear walkway or asking people to duck under ropes, Japanese folks obliged 100% of the time, while Americans were more likely to hold up traffic asking "why" first. My fellow CM from Toyko validated the differences between working in the two resorts.

For a short while, I was in charge of creating seating sections before the parade. One of my least favorite memories as a DL CM in California was trying to create a seating section in the hub near the castle. It took a lot of work to keep the section a seating section. Even with signs, sometimes people would sit, and then others would come in and stand behind them. That doesn't work because then you can't seat anybody behind the standing folks. I made announcements continuously that guests were entering the seating section, and asking them to stake their spot. Using that technique, we could get the whole area beautifully seated. Lots of guests appreciated this section, but it only took one or two people who stand up to cause the whole thing to fall apart.

My first time doing this, I had a beautifully seated section, then one man who had been there for a while decided he wanted to stand right in the front middle. People complained that his backside was in their faces, but he pretended he couldn't hear them. I offered him another spot in the standing section, he told me he had "right to do what I want. I paid for my ticket. I am not leaving." Slowly the people around him were forced to stand up, and then the whole section turned into a standing section. This would happen surprisingly often. Some nights everyone would listen, but just as often there would be some who refused, which ruined the whole section, and eventually we gave up trying to create that section.

I may be mistaken, but isn't their hub much bigger than WDW or DL? Hence the room to sit?

Yes the hub there is massively bigger. But it's a cultural difference more than anything else. If you tell Americans not to put chewing gum under the railings, at the end of the evening you'll still need to clean 100 wads of gum from the railings. If the Japanese -- they just don't do that. Same thing with sitting for fireworks. It's actually possible to create that in a culture that values order over individualism.

Not a good idea, I personally would really struggle to sit on the ground and would really struggle to get back up.

Not everyone is fully physically able

My guess is you haven't had the big sigh as you find a seat in a movie and dare to sit in front of someone. Or be told you should stand in the back (even though you are with your child and got there early) so some else can see and when you say no get the rude remarks. I don't think a bald head actually costs you more money in life.

Don't get me started on this. My DH is 6'6" and is built like Paul Bunyan. He has spent his life trying to to get in someone's way. He cannot win. If we were near the front becasue we got there REALLY early so my little peanut of a DGD could see, well you know....If he stands int eh back but lifts the peanut up so she can see.....you guessed it. So I finally told him to be himself, stand (or sit) wth Kady, and if someone gets behind him there is nto much he can do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter