Could someone explain this to me? (TMI, be warned)

LindsayDunn228

<font color=teal>Quite a hunk of man, isn't he???<
I cannot eat shrimp anymore of any kind. On my anniversary in 2005, my husband and I went to Red Lobster. I got shrimp. Later that night I got violent diarrhea. I mean bad. I just figured I got a batch of bad shrimp or something.

So I went other places besides Red Lobster and got shrimp 2 or 3 more times. Again, violent diarrhea. Now I don't go near the stuff.

I used to be able to eat shrimp with no troubles at all. Is there such a thing as acquiring an allergy to shellfish in your adulthood or something? I haven't had any reactions to any other food like this. Maybe it just sat dormant as a kid as an adult it's decided to show itself.

Any ideas on this?

Yes, you can develop an allergy to anything at any time in your life. My son ate peanut butter until he was 6 and then he stopped, said it hurt his throat. Yep- developed a severe peanut allergy. Two months later he said that shrimp made his throat feel like the peanuts, yep severe fish and shellfish allergy. The good news is 2 years later he was no longer allergic to haddock and can eat that again. So there is hope!

My sister developed a violent allergy to shellfish in her late twenties...throat closed up out of nowhere one night out at dinner and an ambulance was called. She can't touch anything shellfish related anymore. She hates it, because she really used to love shellfish of all sorts.

Thanks you guys. It's so good to know I'm not alone in this. But you know, most people's allergies to shellfish involve their throat closing up and whatnot. Mine just comes out the other end faster than a train. Do you think that's abnormal?

Thanks you guys. It's so good to know I'm not alone in this. But you know, most people's allergies to shellfish involve their throat closing up and whatnot. Mine just comes out the other end fast than a train. Do you think that's abnormal?

Not abnormal at all- just a different allergic reaction. Actually, yours is the more common shellfish type allergy. A lot of people don't recognize it as an allergy though they just say things like, "Seafood doesn't agree with me."

A few years ago I had fried clams and wanted to DIE in the night. We thought gallbladder, nope it's fine. I can eat fried shrimp, fried scallops fried ANYTHING except clams. I can also eat steamed clams.... but fry a clam and eat it and I am in agony all night- no vomiting, no diarrhea, just PAIN! I still think it's gallbladder, but what do I know.:confused3

Thanks you guys. It's so good to know I'm not alone in this. But you know, most people's allergies to shellfish involve their throat closing up and whatnot. Mine just comes out the other end fast than a train. Do you think that's abnormal?

Diarrhea is definitely a symptom of shellfish allergy. It's possible that you get only one and not all of the symptoms. Consider yourself lucky that you don't get the life threatening ones!! My sisters throat closes up if a waitress just walks by her table with an order of shrimp fajitas...it's bad!!

Was the shrimp you ate at Red Lobster either fried or in a scampi sauce? If so, try it steamed and mildly spiced, you probably won't have the same reaction.

I've only been to Red Lobster a handful of times but once when I was there my oldest son had the same reaction to their scampi. Its pretty rich. His was not a result of allergy, as he eats shrimp all the time when we steam it at home.

Was the shrimp you ate at Red Lobster either fried or in a scampi sauce? If so, try it steamed and mildly spiced, you probably won't have the same reaction.

Why is that?? :confused3 That's interesting, but to be honest, I am not going to risk it. ;)

Adult onset allergies are very common!

I ate peanut butter and peanut products as a child, teen, and adult, and one day BOOM! I was allergic to them. I became allergic to tree nuts as a teen and those allergies have gotten worse, from mild to deadly. I was warned that I would most likely eventually develop the peanut allergy as well, and I should avoid peanuts. I didn't take their advice until I actually had a reaction. Fortunately my peanut allergy isn't severe, although it could get to that point.

My coconut allergy became more pronounced as an adult.

I am allergic to scallops, but not other shellfish. I get hives from all of my allergies that range from just a few in a localized area on my torso, to my entire body covered in them, including the palms of my hands. Pignoli's (pine nuts) will cause my throat to close up. If they are within about four feet of me I'll break out in hives.

I slept on a feather pillow for years and one day BOOM! I was allergic to down and feathers.

I've become more and more allergic to other various environmental allergens.

Anne

Why is that?? :confused3 That's interesting, but to be honest, I am not going to risk it. ;)

Because their shrimp scampi is very rich and loaded with butter -- and fatty foods like that will cause diarrhea for some people. I'm no doctor, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that was the problem. Since you won't risk trying it prepared another way, I guess you won't know. When my son had it (not to be TMI), he could barely make it to the bathroom, it was that explosive...fortunately he just never eats scampi anymore but still enjoys shrimp, his favorite food.

A woman I work with is allergic to shrimp, she just found out the other day. She never had a problem with it before, then one day we got Chinese food and she had a really weird reaction where her head started tingling and she felt very disoriented.....fortunately it went away after a few minutes. Her doctor told her that was clearly an allergy. I would think those sort of symptoms would accompany your diarrhea if you were allergic.

A woman I work with is allergic to shrimp, she just found out the other day. She never had a problem with it before, then one day we got Chinese food and she had a really weird reaction where her head started tingling and she felt very disoriented.....fortunately it went away after a few minutes. Her doctor told her that was clearly an allergy. I would think those sort of symptoms would accompany your diarrhea if you were allergic.

That actually sounds more like a reaction to MSG than an allergic reaction to shrimp.

Anne

Adult onset allergies are very common!

I ate peanut butter and peanut products as a child, teen, and adult, and one day BOOM! I was allergic to them. I became allergic to tree nuts as a teen and those allergies have gotten worse, from mild to deadly. I was warned that I would most likely eventually develop the peanut allergy as well, and I should avoid peanuts. I didn't take their advice until I actually had a reaction. Fortunately my peanut allergy isn't severe, although it could get to that point.

My coconut allergy became more pronounced as an adult.

I am allergic to scallops, but not other shellfish. I get hives from all of my allergies that range from just a few in a localized area on my torso, to my entire body covered in them, including the palms of my hands. Pignoli's (pine nuts) will cause my throat to close up. If they are within about four feet of me I'll break out in hives.

I slept on a feather pillow for years and one day BOOM! I was allergic to down and feathers.

I've become more and more allergic to other various environmental allergens.

Anne

Jack (my almost 10 year old) started with the peanut allergy but December 23 he was eating almonds, hazelnuts and walnuts (all w/out peanut contamination obviously) when he said, "Mom, my lips feel funny." They were starting to swell. I gave him a benadryl and kept the epipen close by. We need to go back to the allergist. :sad2:

After decades of eating crab, I was in New Orleans for convention when I had a soft-shelled crab po' boy for lunch. My skin turned red, scaley & itchy. I took an antihistimine and it was better in the morning.

A nurse friend of mine suggested that I try it again so, several months later, back in New York, I had soft-shelled crabs for dinner. I itched, my joints grew swollen, and this time it took two days to get past it.

According to my doctor, some allergies need time to develop, sometimes even years. Unfortunately, he gave me no hope.

Still, crab meat is pretty easy to avoid, and it hasn't effected any other form of shellfish.

Remember - you could be allergic to chocolate or wheat, things that would be much worse to try and avoid.

Because their shrimp scampi is very rich and loaded with butter -- and fatty foods like that will cause diarrhea for some people. I'm no doctor, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that was the problem. Since you won't risk trying it prepared another way, I guess you won't know.

I don't remember how it was prepared, but I tried it prepared other ways (grilled, chilled, etc) with the same result.

I had a horrible reaction to shrimp scampi myself. I could hardly make it to the bathroom. But, being a shrimp lover I just don't eat it scampi and I have never had a problem since. I have as an adult become allergic to acetiminofen. It's tylenol and its amazing how many medications have it in it. I get hives from the neck up. It's really weird.

It sounds like an allergy to me. I had a severe reaction to medication one time and one of the first symptoms was severe abdominal pain, followed by dizziness, nausea, and diarrhea. It happened almost immediately. (I also broke out in hives and was short of breath, so we had to call 911) You can become allergic to anything at any time An allergic reaction can take many forms, but it's still an allergy. And it can get worse the next time. I would suggest you avoid shellfish in the future.

Thanks you guys. It's so good to know I'm not alone in this. But you know, most people's allergies to shellfish involve their throat closing up and whatnot. Mine just comes out the other end faster than a train. Do you think that's abnormal?

Nah not abnormal, my SIL developed the same allergy after giving birth to her first child. Same type of reaction you get. While I find SIL abnormal sometimes the reaction you are having is not so much ;)

Sounds like you have an intolerance, not an allergy.

I am the queen of allergies and intolerances and continue to develop food intolerances as I age. Lots of folks do. It's a sucky club, but welcome to it! :)

You might try buying it fresh and preparing it at home. Some stuff I can eat at home, but don't do as well with in restaurants. Good luck!

Sounds like you have an intolerance, not an allergy.

Sorry, you're mistaken. It is absolutely possible to have a gastrointestinal reaction as part of an allergy! Your body has different antibodies in different areas. I have a severe, life-threatening allergy to all seafood/shellfish, and my only symptoms are vomiting and diarrhea. Within 30 minutes (usually less) of eating any kind of seafood, both ends open up- and it doesn't stop
:( The last time it happened I was vomiting blood by the time I got to the emergency room. If I don't receive emergency medical treatment I will die from it. It is not an intolerance but a true allergy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!