Could someone explain the Splash Mt. Story to Me

AND - I could be remembering wrong - but don't they also do Br'er Rabbit and the tar baby in Song of the South? THAT is also HIGHLY, HIGHLY, HIGHLY racist and offensive. "Tar baby" is right up there with the "n" word and a few other choice racial slurs.
Ironically, the first recorded versions of the "Tar-Baby" story are found in the African legends and folklore of the trickster spider-god Anansi. These stories, brought to the US by african slaves, were retold by the slaves with Br'er Rabbit cast in Anansi's role (presumably because the slaves' owners frowned upon the slaves telling stories about african spider gods. Stories about rabbits and foxes, however, were ok).

At Disneyland's Splash Mountain, the black Tar-Baby is depicted instead as a golden Honey-Baby.

It's a shame that in this day and age censorship and threatening a boycott will result in a banned motion picture - that is what we're talking about, it's been effectively banned. I am absolutely certain that each and every one of us could name a good, solid dozen movies that we find offensive for some reason (racial, ethnic, acts of violence, profanity...) Regardless, those films are at least available and those who want them may purchase them. Instead of Disney slapping a warning sticker on the DVD and even rating it "R" (outlandish, but you can see my point) they hide one of their classics from us in the "Disney Vaults."

Yes, it's a shame that they don't leave the decision to purchase up to us, but we already know that!

I can see the point of the film possibly being viewed as racist, but just look around you as to what people are saying today. No where in the film is there a curse word, no sexual undertones, and no nudity. The only thing it depicts is a way of life that once, to a certain degree, existed in the deep south. How Song of the South can be viewed as racist and Comic View on BET not be is beyond me. I dare anyone to watch the "comedians" on that show and count how many times the N word, the B word, the H word come out of their mouths. I know this isn't what the OP's question was about and I apologize for taking this thread off topic.

Song of the South is a good movie. It, in my humble opinion, is another Disney classic that should be released.

OP if you can find a copy, they are available on E-Bay, it will really explain the story as depicted on Splash Mountain.

How much would one of those original books sell for? Does anyone know?

Wow...Essay Two:

Please explain the history behind Tom Sawyer Island with specific detail to the controversial racial concerns within the story "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn."

How much would one of those original books sell for? Does anyone know?

There's a shop outside of Splash Mountain that sells at least two Brer Rabbit books. One is a thicker book with the stories. Seems it was about $20. The other is a 'big' picture book with seven stories amd beautiful pictures. It's about 55 pages and cost $9.98. There is no mention of Uncle Remus, just the stories.

I think the Br'er Rabbit stories would make a really cute Disney short.

Just skip the live actor parts and go straight to the stories.

I grew up listening to the Br'er rabbit stories and love seeing my favorite
childhood books come to life.

JMHO

I think the Br'er Rabbit stories would make a really cute Disney short.

Just skip the live actor parts and go straight to the stories.

I grew up listening to the Br'er rabbit stories and love seeing my favorite
childhood books come to life.

JMHO

That is a great idea! They could even do a few more of the stories (if there are more that weren't in Song of the south). It sounds like the original live action movie isn't something I'd really want to watch anyway, but the br'er rabbit stories would be cute!

Please explain the history behind Tom Sawyer Island with specific detail to the controversial racial concerns within the story "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn."
Ah, but Tom Sawyer Island is based on "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" far more than it is on "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" -- Hence the inclusion of the infamous fence at Aunt Polly's and Injun Joe's Cave.

Refresh my memory - is Song of the South the movie that Zippidi Doo Da comes from?

This was an interesting thread to read. Racial overtones from classic movies are something we are really going to have to deal with in the future. We just bought Peter Pan when it was released this winter and I bet many Native Americans find parts of that movie offensive.

Try searching for "Song of the South" on a certain popluar video sharing website whose name contains Y and T (just joined, and haven't read all of the fine print yet)

you might find some clips of the braer rabbit parts

-Mongoose

Yes, Zipidee Do Dah is from Song of the South.
I remember seeing Song of the South in the theatre as a child. If I'm not mistaken it was a double feature with The Aristocats.

You can now find the Uncle Remus stories on PBS though not the Disney version.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter