Could OKW use a new bridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok the consensus seems to be no bridge, but the sampling is small.

In defense of the idea;

1) The walk saved would be more than 1/10 mile, it is at least twice that. My children run track I know distances.

2) the bridge would not have to ridiculously high as the river even at high water is considerably lower than the road. The boats are less than 9' high. Secondly, the bridge would designed by Disney in an appropriate theme so, not an eyesore. Is the current bridge an eyesore? Are the bridges at Boardwalk an eyesore? The friendship boats are alot larger than anything we are dreaming of.

3) It is not about saving the stroll type walk, or the one time walk, but there are many families that request Hospitality area accomadations who go back and forth several times a day to the pool area, shops, and restaurants. We have had many instances when we get to the pool only to realize that we have forgotten something from the room. We look across the river at our room and it seems very far away given the route required. The proposed bridge could save my family a mile a day on round trips

4) The bridge could expand the current level of bookings requested near Hospitality House out to several more buildings, including perhaps 150-200 more rooms.

5) We have talked with other families at the pool about how convenient this would be, and how it could actually have a positive impact on the pool area, if designed right. Less congestion at the main walkway, enhanced backside pool amenities, and seating. Perhaps a second restaurant possibilty near the tennis courts? Maybe a nightlife area to relocate the Gurgling Suitcase to an area that you could actually get 10 people into? Use the current bar location to expand Goods. Keep in mind that this is Disney we are talking about. Second to none in theming and design.

In defense of the idea;

1) The walk saved would be more than 1/10 mile, it is at least twice that. My children run track I know distances.

2) the bridge would not have to ridiculously high as the river even at high water is considerably lower than the road. The boats are less than 9' high. Secondly, the bridge would designed by Disney in an appropriate theme so, not an eyesore. Is the current bridge an eyesore? Are the bridges at Boardwalk an eyesore? The friendship boats are alot larger than anything we are dreaming of.

3) It is not about saving the stroll type walk, or the one time walk, but there are many families that request Hospitality area accomadations who go back and forth several times a day to the pool area, shops, and restaurants. We have had many instances when we get to the pool only to realize that we have forgotten something from the room. We look across the river at our room and it seems very far away given the route required. The proposed bridge could save my family a mile a day on round trips

4) The bridge could expand the current level of bookings requested near Hospitality House out to several more buildings, including perhaps 150-200 more rooms.

5) We have talked with other families at the pool about how convenient this would be, and how it could actually have a positive impact on the pool area, if designed right. Less congestion at the main walkway, enhanced backside pool amenities, and seating. Perhaps a second restaurant possibilty near the tennis courts? Maybe a nightlife area to relocate the Gurgling Suitcase to an area that you could actually get 10 people into? Use the current bar location to expand Goods. Keep in mind that this is Disney we are talking about. Second to none in theming and design.

Sorry but this question begs to be asked: Are you an owner ot OKW?

Yes I am. 2 contracts for the past 12 years. A total of almost 400 points.

If I may ask, how does that effect the discussion of would this be an enticing ammenity?

Yes I am. 2 contracts for the past 12 years. A total of almost 400 points.

If I may ask, how does that effect the discussion of would this be an enticing ammenity?

Then as an owner you should know that any "improvements" would be at our expense, either by higher dues or a special assesment.

I only asked if you were an owner because there are many times "visitors" interject there ideas of "improvements" or add "ammenities" such as daily house keeping, turn down service or as someone asked the other day about provided bath robes, that would have to funded by the owners.

I have always been able to book the HH location when I wanted it. That would save the walking. Another drawback to building a bridge is that the main pool may get even more crowded than it does now. No bridge!

In defense of the idea;

We have been OKW owners since 1993 and have forgotten numerous things over the years at OKW, BWV, VB, HH, SS, BC and BLT my fault that I have to walk the distance. I understand how you feel but I really don't want to inflict extra dues on my fellow DVC'ers to save a few steps.

I'll be in the minority and vote yes to a new bridge. When we stayed there we kept saying that we wish we could swim across the river to get to the HH instead of having to go all the way around.
Granted it's not a deal breaker, and I'm sure OKW members don't want to pay for it, just something fun to talk about.

As money seems to be the main objective for some let's examine. A bridge similiar to what is over the river at PO Riverside would probably run around $100,000. Annual upkeep would be minimul but lets say $5,000 per year. We're talking really small amounts when divided over 30,000 (?) OKW DVC families. $3 per average family one time charge, and 16 cents per year to maintain.

It's still a crazy thing to put in because a few people want to save 100 steps. What do all those people do in the parks????:confused3

I think they should focus on an elevator for those people on the 3rd floor. We had th carry our bags up there and it was not fun. I was hunting around looking for the elevator and a nice man said to me "sorry there is none" I thought he was joking!

A nickel here, a nickel there, and soon your dues are $10 per point per year. While money for the bridge construction would be minimal, there is also design fee, plan submissions to the the state for approval because I think OKW is part of the wetlands area now. And the bridge would still be an unneeded expense, as well as an eyesore, considering the busses will still be running, and people can still hop on any bus if they don't want to walk to the HH.

I think they should focus on an elevator for those people on the 3rd floor. We had th carry our bags up there and it was not fun. I was hunting around looking for the elevator and a nice man said to me "sorry there is none" I thought he was joking!

Are you an OKW owner? If so, dId you not know there were no elevators when you purchased?

There are 3 buildings with elevators, 62, 63 and 64. The rest of the resort was built prior to changes in the handicap access laws. There are plenty of other DVC resorts to chose from, if an elevator is a priority.

How old are you and are you disabled? If you absolutely need an elevator building, there are 3 buildings that have them. That being said, we are in our mid 60's and DH has bad knees. Even so, we have not found the stairs at OKW to be that much of an issue. They are definitely low rise type stairs and easy to maneuver. Besides that, if you don't want to carry your bags up, just let the valets do it for you. It's not that expensive to tip them.

The other option is to request a first floor unit. We hate doing that because we find that people above us don't realize how much noise they are making. I suspect most people are not used to living in apartments, so don't think about keeping quiet for the downstairs neighbors when they walk, run, play or dance.;)

OK please don't hijack the thread with discussions of an elevator, which are completely another issue. Chuck I am well aware as a builder/developer what steps are necesary in the construction. I still feel that my estimate is sound, but regardless, it's a long jump from our current dues to $10.The cost may come out of the developers pocket, who knows. Were we charged for the castle slide? The lifegaurds? Probably, yes, but it hasn't meant the end of the world, nor the skyrocketting of dues. Also the eyesore thing is still uncalled for since it is proven in other resorts that these bridges can be built that are asthetically pleasing.

Also the proposed orientation of the bridge from the volleyball ct. angling over the river towards bldgs 28,29 would save considerably more than 100 steps. I would agree if that was all we are trying to save it would be ridiculous. The walk I'm talking about is over to 1/4 mile one way. Rough figures are from the entrance to the pool area over the bridge to Bldg 29 would be approx 1966 ft

Own at OKW, love it as it is short & long walks both. Of course inevitably dues will increase over the years as the result of improvements but I don't think a bridge would be where I'd want to see $ spent.

:goodvibes

OK, we own at OKW, 400pts.
Yes, we would welcome a bridge.
Lucky you that gets near the HH. Many times we have made this request at the 11 mo. window and have been way back on Old Turtle Pond or South Pointe. Hate it just because of the walk.
No, we don't go to the parks as much anymore.
We also paid for the extended contract, by the time our use years are over our children will be grandparents too and will get many years of use of the bridge.

Lucky you that gets near the HH. Many times we have made this request at the 11 mo. window and have been way back on Old Turtle Pond or South Pointe. Hate it just because of the walk.
We also paid for the extended contract, by the time our use years are over our children will be grandparents too and will get many years of use of the bridge.

Near HH is no longer a request, it is a booking category. If you reserve a room in that category, you will be near HH. There is no longer "luck" involved.

How can that be? When I reserve the HH booking category, I'm guaranteed of getting it. If you don't, you need to complain, because that is a specific booking category. Often I have been asked if I wanted HH category even when I've been calling at less than 8 months out, so I know they aren't always all booked up right away.

As for the bridge...I still don't see how that is a huge saving of steps. I can walk from building 55 to HH in 8 minutes. If there was an additional bridge and I was going around behind the kiddie sandbox play area, I can't imagine it would be significantly less distance or time.

Frankly, since all buses will stop at HH before they exit the park, I see no reason why anyone has to walk if they don't wish to anyway. As far as I know, the internal buses run well past midnight.

OK please don't hijack the thread with discussions of an elevator, which are completely another issue. Chuck I am well aware as a builder/developer what steps are necesary in the construction. I still feel that my estimate is sound, but regardless, it's a long jump from our current dues to $10.The cost may come out of the developers pocket, who knows. Were we charged for the castle slide? The lifegaurds? Probably, yes, but it hasn't meant the end of the world, nor the skyrocketting of dues. Also the eyesore thing is still uncalled for since it is proven in other resorts that these bridges can be built that are asthetically pleasing.

Also the proposed orientation of the bridge from the volleyball ct. angling over the river towards bldgs 28,29 would save considerably more than 100 steps. I would agree if that was all we are trying to save it would be ridiculous. The walk I'm talking about is over to 1/4 mile one way. Rough figures are from the entrance to the pool area over the bridge to Bldg 29 would be approx 1966 ft

Actually, no. DVC surveyed OKW members early on, asking if they wanted the pool slide at the members expense. The survey said no, DVD/Disney picked up that tab because Disney wanted the slide as a better marketing tool for cash rentals. Members dues did increase some for the maintenance and lifeguards, but construction was out of Disney's pocket.

In the case of the bridge, why would Disney see a need for one, as it has been nearly 20 years since OKW opened, and bus transportation is available? If members want this bridge, members will pay for it.

As far as the actual length the bridge from bldg 29 across the canal and up to the pool would save less than 1000 feet of walking, less than 1/5 of a mile, at least according to the pathing feature on Google Earth. Pool area to bldg 29 using the current bridge (Yellow path) is about 1456 feet. A bridge crossing at bldg 29 (Red Path) 746 feet, so the costly proposal would cut off 710 feet.

OKW_Bridge1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter