Could I do This?

sweetbambi

Mouseketeer
I am having a lot of trouble with my right knee and may have to have it replaced before our October cruise and 4 day Disney trip. Since I have my own wheelchair, can I take it to the parks and use it when and if I need it? Will the bus driver allow this if I am not in it? As you can tell, I do not want it to hurt and am trying to block the possibility from my mind.

I am having a lot of trouble with my right knee and may have to have it replaced before our October cruise and 4 day Disney trip. Since I have my own wheelchair, can I take it to the parks and use it when and if I need it? Will the bus driver allow this if I am not in it? As you can tell, I do not want it to hurt and am trying to block the possibility from my mind.

you can fold it up and bring it on the bus or stay in it and have them tie it down that up to you the driver wont stop you.

Absolutely!

The airlines will not charge extra for transporting your wheelchair.

If you CAN do the stairs on the bus, the ME bus driver (and/or the driver between Orlando and the ship) can put your wheelchair in the luggage compartment.

For buses on Disney property- they are like city buses and do not have a separate luggage compartment. Almost all of these buses now have ramps (a very few still have lifts). You can just wheel your chair on. If you can fold it and it is stable, it will give more space for other passengers. Note that you may have to hold on to the wheelchair, although if you ask the driver should use the tie-down straps to secure it (chair must be open for this option).

If stairs seem to be a problem for you, and you are planning to take bus transportation (ME between MCO and the Disney resort) and transport between Orlando and the ship, please notify the appropriate organizations (DME is not responsible for Orlando---ship transport) to let them know and they can provider alternate, accessible transport.

Having the chair aboard ship may be useful. Note that, unless you have an accessible cabin, you probably won't be able to get it through the door open, although the hallways aboard ship are wide enough for a chair.

You MAY find some of the ports on your cruise challenging. Nassau is not especially wheelchair friendly.

Have fun!

Follow the link in my signature or look near the top of this board for the disABILITIES FAQs thread.
Here are some posts you will want to check out:

Post 4: Riding WDW Buses with a wheelchair or ECV - includes some picture links. As was pointed out, you can fold the chair and hold it on the bus or have it tied down.

Post 8: Parking, WDW Boats, Monorails, Specialty Cruises at the parks - this will be helpful if you take any boats or monorails. All monorails nod most boats are accessible.

Post 11: Basic accessibility lists for each park. Includes Mobility Access entrances from WDW Disabilities park maps, attractions requiring a transfer from wheelchair or ECV. If you want to bring the wheelchair into lines, ou can. You don't need anything o use it in line. If you choose to walk in line, you will park it by the strollers.

Post 15: Air travel, Orlando specific and some general travel hints - has information about gate checking your wheelchair. As was mentioned, there is no cost nd it doesn't count against your baggage allowance.

PAGE 2
Post 16: DME (Disney's Magical Express) - includes a picture of the stairs so you cn get an idea of whether the steps will be too steep for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter