• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Could FP+ Ruin my experience?

The real question here is, why does Disney want incredibly long standby lines for major attractions to return (much worse than with regular fastpass)? This will happen if every fastpass+ is booked. Still many others will not use it and suffer throughout the day. I think they truly don't care and don't care about losing business from Florida residents and any others who can't plan that far in advance. I don't want extremely long lines and am not able to plan 2 months in advance (especially coordinating with family), I should not be forced to wait forever in line all day. Many others are similar to me. I have a few days left on my ticket; if I have an awful time of things (I will not wait a long long time in line for any attraction- if I see a long wait time I'd go to something else and try again later) I will not buy another ticket unless they seriously revise the system so that it would be actually fair like regular fastpass. They just don't care about being fair anymore, it's all about maximizing profits, like they weren't high enough already

There's the rub- right now there ARE incredibly long standby lines, and SOMEONE is standing in them. That someone may not be Disney experts who know the ropes, but there are some poor saps waiting 90 minutes for Splash Mt, otherwise there is no reason that the line would be that long.

FP+ was not made for us (the Disney experts), FP+ was designed for the poor sap waiting 90 minutes for Splash Mt. If they are ALREADY waiting in long SB lines, than getting three guaranteed FPs is BETTER than what they already are doing and will be a benefit to them. They won't mind standing in lines for the rest of the day, because that is what they were doing anyway.

WE are the only ones who have been conditioned to not wait in long lines, for the average guest, long lines are just part of a Disney vacation, something they realize going in, and something they just accept. FP+ will be seen by THEM as a real benefit.

The problem for US, the Disney over-educated, is that, like it or not, our vacations are going to start looking a lot like the average guest.

Our adaptive advantage has been removed :faint:

It's misleading in at least 2 ways. First, you state it as absolute fact when in truth it is nothing more than a very good (and likely true) guess. They will not hold back any available spots, so it is possible that you are entirely incorrect on any given day.

OK, do you think that every attraction will be fully booked all day/night with FPs+ on an average day in June?

I never said that they will hold back any FP+s.

I would wager that I will never be incorrect when I say that there will be same day FP+s available.

Second, and most importantly, you're only addressing the rides that nobody really cares about riding, so why would anyone care about getting a FP+ for them in the first place?

Everyone doesnt have the same likes and dislikes when it comes to getting FPs+. Not everyone likes the headliners or roller coasters. You are the one speaking in absolutes when you say "nobody" cares about getting FP+s for certain attractions. Look at Mickey's Philharmagic, people get FPs for that now even though people on the DIS would scoff at this.

Back to my main point, and I stand by it. There will be FP+s available same day but I have acknowledged that there may not be same day FP+s for certain attractions at certain times of the year.

FP+ was not made for us (the Disney experts), FP+ was designed for the poor sap waiting 90 minutes for Splash Mt. If they are ALREADY waiting in long SB lines, than getting three guaranteed FPs is BETTER than what they already are doing and will be a benefit to them. They won't mind standing in lines for the rest of the day, because that is what they were doing anyway.

But how can it be stated that these guest couldn't figure out how the current FP system worked but yet they are going to figure out and use the new FP+ system which will be even more complicated? What remains to be seen is if Disney will assign quick picks to those that are staying in their resorts weather order MB and register with the website at all. And if they do, are they going to be giving these guest headliner FP+s?? How many unused headliner FP+s will be taken up for this??

But how can it be stated that these guest couldn't figure out how the current FP system worked but yet they are going to figure out and use the new FP+ system which will be even more complicated? What remains to be seen is if Disney will assign quick picks to those that are staying in their resorts weather order MB and register with the website at all. And if they do, are they going to be giving these guest headliner FP+s?? How many unused headliner FP+s will be taken up for this??

I think one thing we can be sure of.

It will now be harder than ever to get a Soarin or TSMM FP without planning 60 days ahead. The odds of getting one when same day if you didn't know about FP+ got worse, not better.

And want a late day slot for either of those? Forget it unless you planned ahead.

Which to me means that they will run out a lot sooner. If the late day slots are gone before the day-of, then once the mid-day ones are gone same day (assuming there were some left), the machines will be covered, much to the chagrin of many same day park-goers. 5 PM return time.....then nothing? I'll be curious to see how that goes.

Disney IT will link and set you all up ahead of time if you give them a call.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I just have to say that I am going to be skeptical of any trip I'm considering taking that starts with a call to the company IT department.

My biggest fear and sadness for FP+ is that I don't think my children will be able to ride their favorite rides over and over again as they do know. We currently go to Disney each year for 10 days. We like to "focus" our days around our kids favorites. Heck, our first day at the MK we might only be in TomorrowLand and a part of FantasyLand. For example, we might spend an entire morning riding Buzz, by getting there early SB and then getting FP, so they can ride additional times. Also, there are 6 of us in our family, we only have 2 children, so they rode 2 times per FP pull - only one adult rides with them each time (this will also not be something we can do again).

If FP+ allows us to only have a limited number of FP and only one FP+ per ride per day - we will be quite disappointed and we will not need to stay at Disney for as long. We will more than likely reduce the days of our vacation by half. We are a RD, family, we could ride everything we wanted to with the limited FP+ and a good touring plan in one day per park. If we can only ride our favorites once, there is no need to stay there day after day. This is so very sad to me - I love WDW and so does my family. I just fear that it will really change our very favorite family vacation.

We are in the testing for September and I plan on stating this and hopefully they will take the feelings of those that love Disney the most into account.

There's the rub- right now there ARE incredibly long standby lines, and SOMEONE is standing in them. That someone may not be Disney experts who know the ropes, but there are some poor saps waiting 90 minutes for Splash Mt, otherwise there is no reason that the line would be that long.

WE are the only ones who have been conditioned to not wait in long lines, for the average guest, long lines are just part of a Disney vacation, something they realize going in, and something they just accept. FP+ will be seen by THEM as a real benefit.

The problem for US, the Disney over-educated, is that, like it or not, our vacations are going to start looking a lot like the average guest.

I am sure that at some point we will all figure out the advantage again like being up at 6AM on our booking day. Those people who Disney are now trying to cater to ( the 90+ min waiters for Splash Mt.) obviously couldn't be bother to either get up early on their vacation or learn a little about how FP works (heck it is on the TV station in their resort). What makes Disney think that FP+ will magically make that any different? If you don't wanna get up at 6AM on vacation, why would you magically wanna get up at 6AM 60 days out? If you couldn't be bothered to understand FP what makes Disney think that you can be bothered to figure out FP+? I don't mean to sound harsh, but that is how it is.

I can see Disney's train of thought here though. How many people do you really think make return visits to Disney if they are waiting 90+ mins in Splash Mt? Disney is thinking, if we can magically give those guys a FP+ for Splash which will make their experience easier, they will come back.

My biggest fear and sadness for FP+ is that I don't think my children will be able to ride their favorite rides over and over again as they do know. We currently go to Disney each year for 10 days. We like to "focus" our days around our kids favorites. Heck, our first day at the MK we might only be in TomorrowLand and a part of FantasyLand. For example, we might spend an entire morning riding Buzz, by getting there early SB and then getting FP, so they can ride additional times. Also, there are 6 of us in our family, we only have 2 children, so they rode 2 times per FP pull - only one adult rides with them each time (this will also not be something we can do again).

If FP+ allows us to only have a limited number of FP and only one FP+ per ride per day - we will be quite disappointed and we will not need to stay at Disney for as long. We will more than likely reduce the days of our vacation by half. We are a RD, family, we could ride everything we wanted to with the limited FP+ and a good touring plan in one day per park. If we can only ride our favorites once, there is no need to stay there day after day. This is so very sad to me - I love WDW and so does my family. I just fear that it will really change our very favorite family vacation.

We are in the testing for September and I plan on stating this and hopefully they will take the feelings of those that love Disney the most into account.

As a family that also enjoys doing our favorites over and over, I have the same concern.

Same here.

Same here too. The thought of telling my DS that we won't be riding his favorites of Splash or TT 3 or 4 times but only once or twice because even HE doesn't want to stand in a 60 to 90 minute SB line to ride, makes me very sad. It doesn't make me feel excited about planning our trip for next summer.

My other fear besides not being able to ride certain headliners without waiting in horribley long standbys and not getting to repeat favorites is now to experience the same amount (and favorite) attractions at WDW we will have to stay longer to be able to spread our FP+s out. HS, EP, AK, might not have that problem, but I can see it with MK. Wanna ride the mountains? Have to have one day for that. Wanna see the Princesses, Mickey and Tink? Have to have a different day for that. Wanna see the parade, wishes, and eat at BOG for lunch? Gotta do that on a different day. Wanna ride Peter Pan, see Enchanted Tales with Belle, and ride Voyage of the Little Mermaid? Oh, guess what. Add another day.

I am sure that RD will still have some benefit. I am sure you will be able to double up something like RD the mountains in the morning and FP+ Peter Pan, Enchanted Tales and Little Mermaid in the evening. But you get what I am saying... I have always felt like MK was at least a 2 day park. Now???

BTW I am sure Disney isn't worried about this and are enjoying (maybe even planned it?) it

Here are my questions for us "in the know" about FP:

If you could only ride your favorite Disney ride once during a whole entire trip, would that be enough for you?

If you couldn't secure FP+s for your favorite rides and had to wait in the standby lines, would you go ahead with your trip or would you just cancel it?

If you couldn't secure FP+s for the few headliners in AK, EP, and HS, would you even visit those parks?

My other fear besides not being able to ride certain headliners without waiting in horribley long standbys and not getting to repeat favorites is now to experience the same amount (and favorite) attractions at WDW we will have to stay longer to be able to spread our FP+s out. HS, EP, AK, might not have that problem, but I can see it with MK. Wanna ride the mountains? Have to have one day for that. Wanna see the Princesses, Mickey and Tink? Have to have a different day for that. Wanna see the parade, wishes, and eat at BOG for lunch? Gotta do that on a different day. Wanna ride Peter Pan, see Enchanted Tales with Belle, and ride Voyage of the Little Mermaid? Oh, guess what. Add another day.

I am sure that RD will still have some benefit. I am sure you will be able to double up something like RD the mountains in the morning and FP+ Peter Pan, Enchanted Tales and Little Mermaid in the evening. But you get what I am saying... I have always felt like MK was at least a 2 day park. Now???

And this is something our family can not do! We only have 1 day at MK and even though I would love to spend 2 days there, we pretty much get everything done we want to do. Including repeats on favorites like this summer with 3 rides each on BTMR, Splash and Barnstorm. Thinking back to what we got done at MK this past June, I counted 20 total rides. And no, we did not run from ride to ride but we were there from RD until closing. I do not believe that will be possible with FP+.

I know, I was just there, but I mean the standby times will be even worse. If people weren't using the regular Fastpass (which is comparatively easier overall with not requiring preplanning past what time to get to the park in some cases), they definitely aren't going to use this. Nevertheless, all the FP+ slots will be taken by people thinking they could possibly go that day (some of which who won't). And the old fastpass probably evened out crowds more with potentially letting people have more of them per day than this will.

I really would think that most who didn't know about the old system beforehand would research about it and then use it the next time they went to one of the parks. This however is not so easy to use, requiring extensive pre-planning. Everyone could use the old Fastpass, this is tougher for a lot to actually be able to use however. Maybe they should've just done a better job telling people about the old Fastpass then they wouldn't feel they have to change it now.

You don't need to be an expert to know about the old Fastpass or this, just do the research.

I'm nervous for what this will be like with the full roll-out!

We're testing in September and are trying a few things. Early early fp+ to get some rides done early. Then will head back to hotel in the afternoon. A few days we're sleeping in (or hitting waterparks early) and then setting up fp+ for afternoons, right before our dinner ADR.

I have two little kids, so the fp+ is kinda nice for my DH and I because we can ride some of the thrill rides they're too small for (without a real wait).

Then again, we're going in September and the lines are pretty short and sweet anyway.

For me and DW being able to 'score' a multiple ride experience on the same day without planning was the best ride of all. An experience you can't package, produce a pin for or repeat in the exact same way. I have an illness so I can't plan my 60 day window I live my time now with how I feel at that moment and I take full advantage of good days not knowing when and if they will return. I feel sad if this has been removed from our experience if it has.

If you could only ride your favorite Disney ride once during a whole entire trip, would that be enough for you?

If you couldn't secure FP+s for your favorite rides and had to wait in the standby lines, would you go ahead with your trip or would you just cancel it?

If you couldn't secure FP+s for the few headliners in AK, EP, and HS, would you even visit those parks?

Nope. One trip through our favorites would leave me disappointed and hesitant to schedule a return trip.

We plan our trips so far in advance (once per year) that we would likely go ahead with that trip, and do the running of the bulls to do it at rope drop. We at least have the advantage of not minding doing rope drop. But losing the FP ability on a favorite ride completely would be a huge takeaway for us and we would be more hesitant to return.

Even if I didn't plan to scrap our trip entirely, I might take a look at how our days are being spent. I might consider ditching AK or HS. I would definitely ditch Epcot without FPs for TT and Soarin. Universal would be the winner in these cases as we would likely go there instead.

Mine, yes, my DS's no. My main enjoyment is seeing my son enjoy Disney.
I sure we would go but we may not go every year like we have been.

I'm pretty sure this would be a no.

We stay off-site so if we couldn't get the things we wanted in FP+, there would be a good chance we would look for something else to do for the day.

I am sure that at some point we will all figure out the advantage again like being up at 6AM on our booking day.

I agree, I think people will figure out all sorts of strategies and still manage to have some sort of an advantage. But, if there is a limit on FPs, there will be a limit on FP. There will be no way around that.

I think it's going to be interesting to see how the whole industry that sells Disney touring guidance reacts to all of this.

If I am being stupid here please forgive me because in essence I do like the idea of FP+ and booking a slot without having to get there for RD. but ( now here is the dumb question ) it's regarding the 60 window and when it might start. is it the first day of your vacation for the whole of your vacation there after or as each day comes up to 60 days?

Am I being stupid? Probably... :-)

And how exactly do you access all this if you aren't on property or an AP?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards ... 09/2010 CBR Pirate Room ; 11/2012 POR Royal Room ; Early 2014 CS in planning process'

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter