Couch to 5k

W2D1 today, I felt like I was going to die. Any advice to get through this?

Besides not running in almost 100 degree weather...

Did week five "day 2" today. Running 8 mins. twice with a 5 min. walk in between. Honestly, it wasn't too bad. That's the longest I've run consistently since I was a teen. I'm pretty freaked out about the week 5 "day 3" though. Going from running 8 mins. consistently to running a straight 20 seems like a really big jump, but we'll see. Good luck to everyone else, just stick with it. The best advice I have is to not think about it and just do it. If I were to let myself think about it, I'd probably talk myself out of it, so I just don't think about it, and so far, so good.

We were supposed to run last night, but the DH didn't feel like it, so I decided to get on the treadmill. Instead of trying week 4 over again, I decided to re-do week 3 to see if that would help. Thankfully I was able to get through the whole thing without any trouble. Now I'm trying to decide if I should do the other two days before I go back to week 4.

Congrats to those of you who powered through your runs!

KitKat_Tink, I understand what you mean about running in the heat! I wish I had some advice to offer, but unfortunately I've been struggling myself. I can offer plenty of encouragement...You can definitely do this. Like my husband told me...even if you can't manage to finish a run, at least you're getting out there and trying, and that's worth a whole lot!

I finished Week 4 last night and I have to say I didn't huff and puff nearly as much on Day 3 of it as I did on Day 1, so I guess I'm making progress. I still can't say it was particularly easy. I am very SLOW, but my husband keep saying speed will come later. I sure hope he's right! :cool1:

I'm definitely functioning better when I repeat the week before moving on to a new challenge. Thank you to all who have suggested doing that!

I'm very lucky to have a treadmill at home so I can run regardless of weather or temperature or time. I will have to start doing some outdoor running before the actual race, to make sure I can run in the "real world" before heading to Disney. :rotfl2: With the current heat and humidity, it's not going to happen soon. :eek:

Finished week 2 today. Looking forward to the "getting easier part" :lmao:

W2D2. It was enjoyable. Its not hot out so it wasn't bad. I really was dreading this run, but it was okay. I think standing on my feet for 8 hours before the run really didn't make it easier. I was slow, very slow today but it got done.

I finished Week 4! I ran around our state's capitol yesterday and made it around 3 times plus my warm-up and cool-down for a total run/walk of 2 miles.

I have some issues coming up this week. First of all, my ear is killing me. I think I have some kind of cold coming on and it's due to sinus pressure. I don't know how excited I will be to run when I don't feel well. Secondly, I have a routine diagnostic procedure set for Friday but the prep, procedure and recovery will put me out for Thur-Sat. Should I try Week 5 on Monday & Wednesday feeling a bit under the weather and knowing that I won't be able to finish the week until Sunday or Monday, or should I just re-do 2 days of Week 4?

Part of me wants to be wimpy and the other part of me wants to move forward. I have tried C25K twice before and pooped out in Week 3 & Week 4.

I finished Week 4! I ran around our state's capitol yesterday and made it around 3 times plus my warm-up and cool-down for a total run/walk of 2 miles.

I have some issues coming up this week. First of all, my ear is killing me. I think I have some kind of cold coming on and it's due to sinus pressure. I don't know how excited I will be to run when I don't feel well. Secondly, I have a routine diagnostic procedure set for Friday but the prep, procedure and recovery will put me out for Thur-Sat. Should I try Week 5 on Monday & Wednesday feeling a bit under the weather and knowing that I won't be able to finish the week until Sunday or Monday, or should I just re-do 2 days of Week 4?

Part of me wants to be wimpy and the other part of me wants to move forward. I have tried C25K twice before and pooped out in Week 3 & Week 4.

Finishing week 4 is major - congrats. Good thing about the program is that it is self directed - see how you feel - no one will get down on you if you re-do week 4 during such a busy week. Heck, I may re-do week 2. :lmao:

I will be doing W4D3 this evening. W4D2 was rough! I didn't really feel all that great, but knew I needed to get it done. I"m sure that had alot to do with it. I really wanted to quit during the last 5 minutes run, but I didn't. I'm not really a runner and never have been, but I want to do the Wine and Dine 5K in October and possibly the Princess 1/2 in February. I sure hope this gets easier. I am doing all of my training outside on a nature trail in my neighborhood. I've been hearing that a treadmill is easier, but the 5K's are all outside, so I may as well be prepared.

Hey those are my two goals too!!! Now we can keep each other motivated!

:yay: for finishing week 4!!! Busy week coming up, just do what you feel you can. Even if you only do 1 day of the "week" and then pick up where you left off next week that's okay too, their "weeks" don't have to match up with real weeks. Or do something else (like just walking or something) this week since you have major stuff coming up at the end of the week.

I finished Week 8 yesterday and it was the first day that I ran and wasn't continually contemplating when I would need a "walk" break and checking the time cause my feet were sore, tricking myself to keep going or things like that. Ran 28 minute non-stop, only had trouble on a few hills since I did this outside, but I pushed through. I honestly could have kept going when I was done. I think I am ready for the 5k even though I have 3 more weeks to go till the race and haven't actually run 3 miles yet. :cool1:

Seriously, if I can do this anybody can!

W2D1 today, I felt like I was going to die. Any advice to get through this?

Besides not running in almost 100 degree weather...

Advice - slow down, hydrate hydrate hydrate, repeat weeks when you don't feel like you can move on to the next week. Stay positive. Remember this is not a race, it's a new lifestyle. You want to take care of yourself so you don't get hurt or discouraged.

Did week five "day 2" today. Running 8 mins. twice with a 5 min. walk in between. Honestly, it wasn't too bad. That's the longest I've run consistently since I was a teen. I'm pretty freaked out about the week 5 "day 3" though. Going from running 8 mins. consistently to running a straight 20 seems like a really big jump, but we'll see. Good luck to everyone else, just stick with it. The best advice I have is to not think about it and just do it. If I were to let myself think about it, I'd probably talk myself out of it, so I just don't think about it, and so far, so good.

I felt the same way but it's mental. Your body is ready, you just need to push through the mental wall.

We were supposed to run last night, but the DH didn't feel like it, so I decided to get on the treadmill. Instead of trying week 4 over again, I decided to re-do week 3 to see if that would help. Thankfully I was able to get through the whole thing without any trouble. Now I'm trying to decide if I should do the other two days before I go back to week 4.

I would finish out week 3. I think that it will help physically and mentally.

I would redo week 4. I think it will help your body get used to the routine again. I had taken a break because I was sick and I felt much better redoing week 4.

I wondered the same thing, so I tried to slow myself down and that didn't help either. If I'd been going any slower, I may as well have been walking! Thank you for the encouragement, though. It helps to know that I'm not the only who has struggles!

Walking is ok! There were times during the race that I was running slower then people were walking but I was still moving forward. I know I'll never win the boston marathon, I'll never be on the cover of a Wheaties box, but you know what?! That's ok!

I did W5D1 on the treadmill today. I did a little bit of clock watching, but it wasn't too bad. I do wonder when/if I will stop doing that kind of thing. I felt fine during the run, but my left ear hurt when I laid down to stretch. I'll probably do Day 2 on Wednesday and then redo Week 5 in it's entity next week. I don't think I'll be able to do the W5D3 20-minute run after not running for 4-5 days. Or maybe I'm just putting it off :rotfl:. I have an appt with my doctor on Wednesday so I'll talk to her about my ears. It's strange that I'm not coughing and I only have a little nasal congestion (I can breathe fine through my nose) and no sinus pain. Just ear pain & pressure in both ears. Weird. I'm taking a decongestant and antihistamine trying to feel better.

I would finish out week 3. I think that it will help physically and mentally.

Walking is ok! There were times during the race that I was running slower then people were walking but I was still moving forward. I know I'll never win the boston marathon, I'll never be on the cover of a Wheaties box, but you know what?! That's ok!

Thanks for the advice. I think I am gonna finish out week 3! I'll let you know how it goes!:)

The details on my race at Animal Kingdom.

DS and I were in Wave 3 which I was thrilled about. I was so worried that we would be in the back. This bought me a little time since they closed the course at 10. Our wave took off at 8:40. The energy was amazing! The first mile was in the parking lot and had one obstacle, hay bales. At first I was stepping on them to get over but they were really soft. Hay bales are not the same in the south as they are in the north! So the last 2 I hurdled, and did ok. Snapped a pic of mile 1 marker.
About 1/2 way I was getting a pretty bad stitch in my side so we slowed down a little. The second obstacle was tires. These were the ones I was worried about the most. I didn't want to fall so I walked them.
About mile 2 I wanted to quit. But then I saw my new friend Heather who was in wave 1, she was headed in the opposite direction headed back into the park from the service road. She said it wasn't much further til we turned back, so that really motivated me!
Something else that motivated me was the fact that as we ran across to bridge in Asia towards the front of the park, I saw runners still coming over the bridge to Africa. I was certain I was going to be swept so that really helped spur me on.
Mile 3 was actually the easiest. I was slow, I jogged because if I walked my shins burned but walkers were passing me. But I managed to slow my mind down and the next thing I knew we saw flashing lights, we were back in the parking lot!!! Big cheers from all the runners at that point.
the last challenge was the cargo net climb. UGH. I had thought about skipping it but I decided that I did the other ones so I was doing this one too. It was tough but I got through it and DS was waiting right there for me.
We ran through the chute/ finish line and I glanced at the clock.
It said 58 minutes, I was like what. That meant that Wave 1 left 58 minutes ago, which mean we left 48 minutes ago. I didn't think that was right but I didn't have time to think about it. We got our first clue and our light and sharpie.
Clue one was so easy we got it right away. The problem was figuring out where to go. We went passed the oasis so we had to back track. It was kind of chaotic but we got our second clue.
The second clue was sooooo stupid and hard!! People were getting angry and fast. We found help, solved it and ran to Camp Minnie Mickey for the 3rd clue. This is where I got ticked! People were so confused that the man that was supposed to hand out the 3rd clue didn't because he was to busy helping other people solve the clue. I got a little snippy and it got his attention. Not my finest moment I tell you.
As soon as I handed DS the clue he got it, it was stretched letters.
Off to Harambe for the fourth clue. Again, solved it right away so we booked it to Asia for the last clue. It turned out to be a combination of the first 4 clues, solved it really easily. We booked it to the finish line which was right before the Everest Fast passes. They asked us the answer to the final clue which I shouted as we ran to the finish line.
We made it!!! The clock said something like 1:34: and change. Which means we ran it all in something like 1:24. We got our medals, which are awesome!!!!! Picked up powerade, which is nasty!!!! Bananas and water.
I called hubby, texted BFF and rested.
We went over to Restaurantosaurus to get our bag, found Heather again. Rode Dinosaur (didn't care for it), said good bye to Heather, rode Everest twice, then headed back to the room. We were exhausted and hurting.

so stats:
We placed 617 out of 785 for the co-ed teams
Race time - 46:24; hunt time - 38:04; total time - 1:24:28

Pace time was 14:91 minute mile!!!

My race time was exactly 2 minutes better then my treadmill time!!!!

I'm so proud of myself for not quitting. I was close to not going at all. I'm really glad that I went.
DS and I had a great time together.

Buffy - that sounds like some serious nervewracking but fantastic fun! I would love to try one of those someday and you should be really proud of yourself!

As I surfed the net tonight I thought why dont I just start this program tonmight. I printed it out lastnight and hoped to start it. Well tonight I just went for it! Let me tell you I thought I was going to die during the 1st 60 sec run-lol! I stuck to it! I think i started out to fast on the jogging cuz my calfs started burning. i had to go down in speed a lil and it worked me out but not to the point of overdoing it and injurying myself.

so it's offical W1D1

? i notice previous workouts on the treadmill that after I walk my hands feel really swollen. Anyone know whats causing it?I have highblood pressure and take a water pill.

I'm hoping to get through this program.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter