• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

COSTUMES NO MORE FOR ADULTS!

This conversation has gotten ridiculous and developed into the standard hyper-reading and assumption of ridiculous implementation. The rule is no costumes for adults - period. It applies all the time (TBD if they relent for MNSSHP next year). Not a huge change to the current rules. Security will use their judgement as to when something qualifies as a costume. Until I hear stories that prove me wrong (and something more than a 1-off "my friend heard from a friend who heard from a bus driver") I will assume they will act like non-idiots and be looking for obvious costumes and not people with funky dress styles that pay homage to various Disney and non-Disney characters.

I find the outrage over this hysterical since adult costumes are banned with the exception of party days anyway, like so many others have said.

Disney can do whatever they want. Was I mad when they dumped Mr. Toad? Legitimately devastated. Guess what. WDW is still fun even though they axed my favorite ride.

You can't tell me WDW is only fun if you're wearing a costume at a ticketed party. And if you do, then I'll enjoy the lighter crowds at MNSSHP next year :)

so there is a concern that Disney will refuse entry to a man dressed in a 3 piece suit based on a "no costumes" rule? Really? Because he isn't wearing "park clothes?"

And how is it discrimination if they deny him entrance? I mean, legal discrimination. Wearing a 3 piece suit is not tied to one's race, or national origin, or religion, or any other protected class. If they let in a woman wearing a 3 piece suit but not a man, maybe sex discrimination.

Saris and turbans for everyday wear are not costumes. Burqas are not costumes.

I almost always dress up when I go to the parks. I especially love retro-style sundresses (www.modcloth.com). People often ask me if I'm going for a "Dapper Day look." Sometimes my dresses are a little Disney-inspired, i.e. a Disneybounding look. There's a huge difference between what I wear - and will continue to wear - and a costume. This "new" rule doesn't bother me at all because it doesn't change anything!

I saw people dressed like this just last week at DL. They were all well over the age of 14. Believe me, I can do without seeing something like this but I think the people who are dressed up for "Dapper Days" or just dressed like that are amazing to look at. I love the old styles just don't have the guts to wear it myself.

26951.jpg_39_1.jpg
stormtrooper-onesie.jpg

Little by little the magic and fun is being sucked out of WDW and being replaced with the stench of the real world.

However I would prefer to go thru a metal detector and be sniffed by Spot and Fido in order to enjoy dressing for a (what used to be) fun event like MNSSHP.

FYI - we just got the race guide for the Star Wars races at Disneyland next month. Here is what it says about costumes:

Costumes are not only permitted, but encouraged at run Disney events to showcase your Disney-spirit. However, any attire or costume must be family-friendly and not offensive, objectionable or a potential safety hazard to yourself or other runners. Face masks are not allowed. Your full runner bib must also be clearly visible on your front torso during the entire race.
The guide lists some additional guidelines, e.g. costume can't drag on the ground, no weapons or sharp objects, no pretending to be an Official character...

This conversation has gotten ridiculous and developed into the standard hyper-reading and assumption of ridiculous implementation. The rule is no costumes for adults - period. It applies all the time (TBD if they relent for MNSSHP next year). Not a huge change to the current rules. Security will use their judgement as to when something qualifies as a costume. Until I hear stories that prove me wrong (and something more than a 1-off "my friend heard from a friend who heard from a bus driver") I will assume they will act like non-idiots and be looking for obvious costumes and not people with funky dress styles that pay homage to various Disney and non-Disney characters.

Agree. It's always going to be a judgement call and Disney has the right to make that call since it's their property. I think most people know what a costume is.

FYI - we just got the race guide for the Star Wars races at Disneyland next month. Here is what it says about costumes:

Costumes are not only permitted, but encouraged at run Disney events to showcase your Disney-spirit. However, any attire or costume must be family-friendly and not offensive, objectionable or a potential safety hazard to yourself or other runners. Face masks are not allowed. Your full runner bib must also be clearly visible on your front torso during the entire race.
The guide lists some additional guidelines, e.g. costume can't drag on the ground, no weapons or sharp objects, no pretending to be an Official character...

Could be used as a test for future events such as msshp?

This is a non-issue. Costumes are not allowed by adults on normal operating days...including Dapper Days. Dressing "dapper" is not a costume. We shall see what the policy becomes when MNSSHP arrives. FWIW, Universal has never allowed costumes at their parties and they don't seem to have people up in arms over that.

So, no...you can't show up as a Pirate, a princess, a witch, a skeleton, a fairy, Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, a Stormtrooper etc. But you can show up in nice clothes, period clothes, disneybound etc.

My running group leader contacted runDisney directly (We are a Disney sanctioned group so have an RD contact they can email kind of like the travel providers) and we were told yes for now but to pack a back up running outfit because Disney could decide to change the rules last minute. Also that it would be best not to wear race costumes to the park for photos as once you have crossed the finish line for the race you have to abide by the park rules during normal operating hours.

I'll bet the only thing Disney is really worried about is a terrorist who can conceal either his/her identity and/or a weapon by wearing a costume. I don't think anyone is going to get concerned if a woman wears a red polka dot top and black pants. As many people have already pointed out, full-on costumes for adults have always been banned, and except at the Halloween ticketed events, actually seem a little creepy anyway.

So I wonder if these "costumes" will be allowed in the parks...

fb79717070a52406fc64bf3a72a80bc9.jpg
1495991_472779246165693_597685691_o.jpg

Weddings are big business for Disney, and many brides, grooms and attendants go to the parks in gowns and tuxes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter