Costumes ideas for MNSSHP HELP!

annie1995

<font color=FF0066>I have not used mine outside th
HELP!!!:goodvibes I am so not creative. I need some costume ideas and where to get them, or where to learn how to make them for MNSSHP this September. I have all boys who will be 12, 8 and 14 months old.

Anyone? Come on, someone out there must have some great ideas! Please???:rolleyes1

Well, this isn't really creative - but pirates are the trend right now and more so after this summers movie! Soooooooo you have 3 boys, pirates costumes are available everywhere to buy or make yourself without spending a boodle!!
Think eye patch, head bandana, shaggy cut-offs etc. Boys will love it!

I googled it - now I know what it is!

Are you supposed to do something different? Isn't it just Halloween attire?

Are you thinking of making the costumes yourself? If so, go by your local JoAnn's (or even Wal-Mart) and check out their pattern books, Some of them have special Disney patterns (in the halloween/costume) section, with things like Peter Pan, Woody, Buzz etc... They also have pirate costume patterns to (in kid and adult sizes).
Are you and your DH going to dress up to? I think it makes for really great pictures if everyone is in similar costumes (i.e. all pirates, or from the same movie).
You can also buy costumes at WDW when you get there, especially around MNSSHP, they will have lots of costumes available (not as many for little boys as girls, but still a decent amount).
Also when it gets closer to Halloween, disneyshopping.com will have costumes for all ages (they have a few now, I think in the sale section).
Some things I've seen during MNSHHP -
1.) Toy Story: Kids as Buzz & Woody, (maybe Bullseye for the youngest?) Parents as Bo Peep or Jessie and Zurg
2.) The Incredibles (sure you'd have 2 dash's instead of a violet, but that's not a big deal)
3.) Pirates (of course)
4.) The Fab 5: Kids as Donald, Goofy and Pluto, Mom and Dad as Mickey & Minnie
5.) 100 Acre Wood Gang: Pooh, Piglet, Eeyore, Tigger, Honey Pot (Disneyshopping.com usuall sells these costumes around Halloween...but be warned their fur and can be very warm)
6.) 101 Dalmations: All Kids as dalmations, mom as Cruella (or entire famile as Dalmations)

Of course their no rule that you have match...you could just let each pick their favorite character. ...Or you don't have to go as a disney character at all!

You can also just google "Disney Costumes" and you'll come up with many many sites selling them year round, if you don't want to make them.

Hope this helps!!

I googled it - now I know what it is!

Are you supposed to do something different? Isn't it just Halloween attire?

It stands for Mickeys not so scary halloween party. We kind of wanted to get the kids dressed up disney related when we go. It's gonna be our first time going!

I agree with aurorasleeping. The patterns are great (Simplicity Patterns) and come in every size. I even saw some darling Disney patterns for toddlers & infants.

I just saw this at JoAnn's yesterday: a fun cover you could put over your umbrella stroller to help baby look more in the Halloween spirit! Here it is: Simplicity 4021 http://simplicity.com/index.cfm?all=Y&cat=4&type=21&sec=61&startrow=1. Scroll down the page and on the photo and you'll see all the different styles. I think they're adorable! They even have one for a princess and for a pirate!

Simplicity must be updating their website 'cause they didn't have access to their kid's disney costume patterns. But they have a lot of them... honestly!

BUT... I have also found that sometimes it is cheaper to purchase ready-made costumes than to make them. One year I made Peter Pan and Tinkerbell costumes for DS & DD, and I spent more on patterns, fabric & notions PLUS the time sewing them, than I would have if I purchased them full price from the Disney Store.

Last year I was Jasmine and family was pirates.

I saw a lady as Cruela and her DH and kids were dalmations. They had on collars with tags and white shirts with black dots. They were the best! Easy to make for the family and you could buy the Cruela.

I think it is wonderful you are planning ahead.

My boys wanted to dress up as kingdom hearts characters but I have yet to find the costumes for kids. They have adult versions on Ebay.

You also don't HAVE to be Disney characters. When we went, we were the Scooby Doo gang. Easy costumes to pack and easy to put together too. The only one I bought was "Daphne" for my daughter because she wanted the real thing. Good Luck!

I wanted to dress the kids in our group as Dorothy, Tin man, Lion, and Scarecrow but they aren't going for it :sad2:

My son wants to be Captain Hook. He also wants to sword fight with Peter Pan

I second the idea of picking up the Simplicity patterns and just making your own costumes. It is surprisingly easy to do! And you can choose fabrics so as to do it as inexpensively or as elaborately as you like.

My DS's cub scout pack built a pirate ship float and we all dressed as pirates last year. I did purchase the hat & a set of bootcovers... but made almost everything else myself. Bought an inexpensive wig, and styled it myself, made and attached the bandana, strung beads and a coin dangle, and my DS & DH wittled their own 'sail needles' so that we could re-create Capt'n Jack Sparrow's hair and adornments. The shirts, vests and sashes I sewed... and they jsut wore their own pants & belts (although there are patterns, if you wanted to make more authentic 'period' style pants). Photos are in my signature.

For the facial hair, my DH grew his own, and we just added the braids into his beard using spirit gum. For DS, I used my experience with theatrical make-up (applying artificial hair and spirit gum) to create his facial hair. A bit of eye liner completes the look.

They both had a lot of fun with it, and received plenty of compliments.

I really like the pirate idea. I think the boys would love it and you can find the items everywhere.

:) We were a Trading Spaces team in 2005. Hubby and I wore the Red Trading Spaces Smocks/Shirts and our DD (then 6) was dressed as our little Ty the Carpenter. She wore denim shortalls, a tool belt with play tools, a bandana, and a yellow foam hat that looked liek Bob the Builder's. We got the shirts from the Discovery Channel website for about $2 each and saw quite a few other teams there that night as well. LOL :rotfl:

:) In 2006, my DD and I went as Ketchup and Relish. She wore a red shirt and I wore a green one. We had ironed on letters spelling out ketchup and relish and then each had matching foam visors and crazy hair wigs also in the same colors. LOL :wizard:

Annie -

What you should do is ask the boys what they want to be. They might have a better idea and then be happier with the choice. I was thinking I should make this beautiful dress for my daughter and make her up as a princess. After all, it fits her personality and it is Disney! I got talking with her and she wants to be a pirate! Her main concern was getting on and off rides easily. Whatever you do, the kids will have a blast! ;)

Well, I wanna be a pirate. :) I agree with LorilieMarie, you should ask the kids for input. I bet they have some ideas of what they'd like to be. Maybe your 12 YO would like to be Harry Potter? Who knows?

The 101 Dalmations idea is super-cute! And so is The Fab Five idea! Oh, and Toy Story characters would be fun too!

I also really like The Incredibles! You could go all out w/ the costumes or you could go simple & just purchase the The Incredibles t-shirts at your local Disney store - maybe costumes for the kids & just t-shirts for you & your DH.

You could also do Star Wars characters - especially if your older boys are fans. I've seen some really cute toddler Yoda & Chewie costumes.

You could be Tinkerbel, DH could Captain Hook, and your boys could be 3 Lost Boys from Peter Pan.

And, as has been mentioned, Pirates are super-popular and relatively easy to do.

Do your boys like Power Rangers?

Or, if you wanted really, really easy costumes - you could decorate t-shirts to be the different characters from Cars using iron-on transfers, felt, etc. You could be Sally & your boys & DH could be 4 of the other characters. You could even fashion some kind of "car-headpieces" for each of you.

Have fun!

We are going with my sister and her family and are all going to be Peter Pan Characters and there are 7 of us..

Me Wendy..if i can find a costume
My DH...Smee he is pooh shaped and would look great
DS 6 as Lost Boy
DS3 as Peter Pan
DSis as Tiger Lily
DBIL as Captin Hook
DN as Lost boy or Indian

I just hope we can find the costumes before we go..at least for the kids

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter